No announcement yet.

choices choices choices

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

check your intake tube for cracks, then, if you can get it to idle, grab the VAF harness connector and wiggle it and see if your engine acts up while you wiggle it (poor internal connections in the VAF are common).
    Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
    94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

intake valve was good what am i wiggling? i dont fully know sorry

Comment

Wiggle the wiring where it plugs into your air filter. The rest of the box that holds
        your filter is the Vane Air Flow sensor. Inspect all of this and the ducting from the
        VAF to your throttle body and engine. Wiggle them with the engine idling and
        look carefully to find leaks. Listen to the engine while doing this, the change
        in the idle might be subtle.
        Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

VAF wires

Jacob, this pic is of the Vaf and the wires connected to it are the ones Festyboy and Movin are asking you to wiggle.

An idea can turn to dust or magic, depending on the talent that rubs against it.

Comment

You can spray starting fluid or carb cleaner or vent a propane torch near the intake tubing to check for leaks.

Starting fluid and propane - idle increase
            carb cleaner - idle decrease.

Comment

ok so the wires when i wiggle them does nothing but i can pull it out enough to were it will slowly go down and die but if i put it back in soon enough it will catch up quick and be good. I hope that answers your questions. As far as leaks go i have checked once or twice before but was no problems. i have not been able to spray anything in tho. if i do i will let you know what i find.

Comment

The engine you sound determined to yank appears healthy. It's an ancillary component that is causing the driveabiity issue.

Comment

Originally posted by georgeb View Post
                  ...It's an ancillary component that is causing the driveabiity issue.
                  What's imho mean? bwaahaha
                  97 Aspire w/K03 turbocharged b6 SOHC
                  CoolingMist Varicool II Meth injection
                  Phantom gripped and cryo'ed 5 speed

Comment

Originally posted by iceracerdude View Post
                    What's imho mean? bwaahaha
                    In my humble opinion. Or honest opinion. Either way.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacob View Post
                      i can pull it out enough to were it will slowly go down and die but if i put it back in soon enough it will catch up quick and be good.
                      You mean if you unplug the wires, the engine will stall? The reason for that is that the VAF is the lifeline of the engine outside of fuel & spark. If you don't have that connected, or there's a break in the wiring that connects to it, it won't read the gate inside the VAF and so cut power to the engine.

Your fusible links (the wire loops you replaced) can be replaced by 30AMP cartridge fuses (some members use different configurations, like -left to right- 20A-30A-20A or 30A-40A-30A) to ensure that if there is an issue, those will blow first instead of burning out wires.

I'd take Htchbck up on his offer, if you think it's the dizzy. I'll vouch for him any day. That is, unless I'm in the Pace Car. *poke @ Htchbck* :evil4:
                      In love with a MadScientist!:thumbright:
                      There's a fine line between breathtaking ingenuity and "That's the stupidest thing I've ever seen!"

Comment

^^ Agree, please do not vouch for me while driving the Sad-turd (as we used to call my old Saturn lol). The Dizzy is in route, should reach him today or tomorrow.
                        No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

Originally posted by htchbck View Post
                          ^^ Agree, please do not vouch for me while driving the Sad-turd (as we used to call my old Saturn lol). The Dizzy is in route, should reach him today or tomorrow.
                          Pace. Car.
                          In love with a MadScientist!:thumbright:
                          There's a fine line between breathtaking ingenuity and "That's the stupidest thing I've ever seen!"

Comment

ok it arrived 3 days ago and i just got it placed in. the idle is a lot better and the passenger that used to own the car says he cannot feel idle in passanger seat. it has slight loss of power compared to before but has not been missing or dying like it used to. I think this was the fix.

thanks everyone

Comment

Slight loss in power is probably due to timing, you should check the timing with a timing light. not sure off hand what the b3 timing is set to, but i believe its under the hood on a sticker. When checking timing you have to ground the connector coming out of the disty, or plug the timing advance lines on a carbed model. But glade you got it going.

Comment

William is correct, probably the timing is a couple degrees off. Even if you put the new distributor back on in exactly the same spot as the old one was, there can still be slight variations between distributors that can make a difference in ignition timing. Glad to hear its back on the road though!

Oh and Dustin you left out a couple words there...

Originally posted by DriverOne View Post
                                Can't keep up the Pace. Car.
                                TIFI!
                                Last edited by htchbck; 06-17-2012, 08:18 PM.
                                No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

Working...
                                X