Driving Festiva in mountains

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Driving Festiva in mountains

Hi there - I have a 93 Festiva with 250,000 km on it. I was thinking of driving out from the Canadian prairies to Victoria, B.C. I'm wondering if its five-speed manual transmission and tiny engine can power it over the mountains. There will be no passengers aboard; only a suitcase or two, computer, and various other things. I'd be taking the Festiva on the Crowsnest highway. Is that too high and curvy? Should I take another route e.g. through the U.S.?

Thanks

Festivas can climb mountains fine as long as they are in decent running condition. You will probably be in 3rd or fourth gear most of the time going up the mountain though. But as long as its running well, I'd take it on the highest curviest roads possible... just take it easy coming down the other side unless you've done some upgrades in the wheels/tires/brakes department.
    No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

They thrive on goat trails ! They love Off Hiway Vehicle parks, and any other
      challenging driving. They do not have the power to win races with the stock
      B3 but they will pass all the broken hotrods and finish everytime. SO, don't
      race it stock, it will take you anywhere a human should be and a few more,
      do your part insuring it has proper fluids, grease, seals, boots brakes ect.
      and enjoy your travels!
      Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

I've gone from Vancouver to Calgary and back...twice! No problems. Terrace B.C. to Vancouver.....Vancouver to Kelowna and back......twice.....even the mighty Coquihalla has nothing on the Festiva. I did said travels on the Crowsnest, Hwy 1 and 5 and 97 and 16.
        Last edited by leapin; 06-07-2012, 10:33 AM.

-Scott
        Aqua 93 L
        Razor Red 09 F-150 XLT
        White 06 Ford Escape XLT

Comment

I never have problems with hills in my festiva :lol:

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
          1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
          2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

Granted, SC and NC have no extreme mountains, but even loaded with people, second gear in a Festiva has enough torque to take you pretty much anywhere you want to go. I would consider upgrading your brake master cylinder to the Aspire or '94 Protege model to increase your braking capabilities, however. The small diameter brakes are capable of better braking that way, but replacing your steering knuckles, rear beam (with hoses and e-brake), and sway bar with the Aspire parts will drastically improve mountain driving ability.

EDIT: The Aspire Swap then changes your bolt pattern to 4x100, rendering your 12's useless. You'd have to at least upgrade your wheels to the Aspire stock steel wheels.
            Last edited by DriverOne; 06-07-2012, 11:03 AM.
            In love with a MadScientist!:thumbright:
            There's a fine line between breathtaking ingenuity and "That's the stupidest thing I've ever seen!"

Comment

Yesterday across the Golden Gate Bridge; today over Tioga Pass at 9941 feet. No problems with our Festiva. OH, and that's with five passengers
              Last edited by fastivaca; 06-07-2012, 10:53 PM.
              Ian
              Calgary AB, Canada
              93 L B6T: June 2016 FOTM
              59 Austin Healey "Bugeye" Sprite

"It's infinitely better to fail with courage than to sit idle with fear...." Chip Gaines (pg 167 of Capital Gaines, Smart Things I Learned Doing Stupid Stuff)

Link to the "Road Trip Starting Points" page of my Econobox Café blog

Comment

Originally posted by fastivaca View Post
                Yesterday across the Golden Gate Bridge; today over Tioga Pass at 9941 feet. No problems with our Festiva. OH, and that's with five passengers
                Yup. Well done!
                90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
                09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Mine has always been a blast to drive in the mountains, even more so with the Aspire swap.
                  Jerry
                  Team Lightning

Owner of Team Lightning
                  90 L "Peewee" B6D. Bought new May 16,1990
                  92 L Thunder BP G5M-R Turbo B6T electronics. Jan 2016 FOTM winner SOLD
                  93 L Lightning. BP

Not a user of drugs or alcohol, Just addicted to Festiva's

Comment

Any time lost on the uphill side can be regained going down.

Some call it the TOJO; tires squealing, rims cracking.
                    '88 Festiva L, stock carby engine (with exhaust upgrade), 4 speed tranny. Aspire Struts and Springs, Capri 14" wheels, interior gutted, battery in back

'92 Geo Metro XFi

'87 Suzuki Samurai

'85 F150, modded 300cid

Comment

Originally posted by koolmoesinc View Post
                      I'm wondering if its five-speed manual transmission and tiny engine can power it over the mountains.
                      My 88 Carbed Festiva 4speed works the mountains well. Your fuel injection should compensate, but I tuned my Festiva up for 5000 feet & above. Have taken it to the top of Mt. Evans in Colorado at 14,250 feet. If you can, find 100% pure(ethanol-free) gasoline. Not only will your mpg increase, but you should have a trace more power. Go to pure-gas.org for addresses, details & a great zoomable map to the nearly 5400 stations(1 in every 32) selling 100% pure gasoline.

Comment

There are more stations selling 100% pure gasoline in the mid northern U.S. than in the mid Canadian provinces. However, such stations are rare in both the U.S. & Canada, & you should carry a full 5 gallon gas can with you to bridge between the rare stations.

Comment

My 93 auto makes the climb from Phoenix to flagstaff without too much effort and that's a 6000 foot climb in 100+ degree weather.
                          Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

I live where there are a few steep hills, NO problems whatsoever. Drive it hard dude!!

Comment

Or if you have trouble climbing hills, there's always one of these... :evil4:
                              In love with a MadScientist!:thumbright:
                              There's a fine line between breathtaking ingenuity and "That's the stupidest thing I've ever seen!"

Comment

Working...
                              X