• Show
Clear All

• 88 Ford Festiva LX

Does anyone know how much R134a it takes to charge a completely
    empty a/c system?
    "For God so loved the world that he gave his
    only begotten son, that whosoever believes in
    him should not parish, but have everlasting life."

Don't know the exact amount because I usually fill from a 30# tank... I'm assuming the system has already been properly converted to R134a? Not just the "stick on these nifty new connectors" kits that the parts stores like to sell without mentioning that the system needs to be evac'd, then proper oil added and the receiver/dryer replaced.

The specs for R12 are 25oz of freon, and 2-3.5oz oil. R134a will be different but shouldn't differ by much.
    Last edited by htchbck; 06-13-2012, 07:30 AM.
    No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

ac capacity

my 89 L's service manual says 1400cc.....I guess you could convert that to lbs. and it should be about .7 - .9 lbs if I remember right. Could be wrong, but that cc reading should get you in the ballpark.
      Good luck,
      Mark
      92 GL, 98k
      77 Chevy shortbed

Comment

it's in the .8lb area, if you're not sure, have an AC tech look at your gauges while you fill....
        Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
        94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

For an A/C system to really properly work, you need to have it vacuumed out before putting freon in it. That's the one thing that really annoyed me working at Advance, not being to tell people that.
          Current cars:

1993 Ford Festiva 5-Speed - Festiclese III - Cousin of the Banhammer - "The Jalopnik Car"
          1984 Toyota Cressida - 2JZGE Swap, Turbocharged.
          2013 Mazda Mazda2 - Exhaust and Wheels (the daily)
          2002 Toyota Tundra - V6/Auto/2WD - The Tow Vehicle.

Comment

Working...
          X