No announcement yet.

Worth it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm trying not to rush myself. I currently own a motorcycle and with it being summer I'm not having any trouble getting around. I could probably wait til late Sept. to purchase a car...I'm just getting anxious and at times it would be nice to have something with a roof and AC!
    -Rafe-

Things I have for sale.
    Random Festiva Parts
    Festiva Non-Swoopy Power Drivers Mirror

Comment

You don't want to wait for something like that. It causes you to make rash decisions and spend more than you want/should/need. Get something sooner than later.
      In love with a MadScientist!:thumbright:
      There's a fine line between breathtaking ingenuity and "That's the stupidest thing I've ever seen!"

Comment

OK, I'm in STL and I just Tessy drove this Festiva. Looks decent..has some hail damage hood had a bit of rust and some rust starting to show on the driver rear wheel well. 211k miles. AC...was blowing decently cold but nothing was coming out the door side vent. Shifter was making a pretty bad rattler, but it shifted real smooth. Brake and shifter pedal seemed loose. Lots of movement. Looks like it had a CD player and someone installed 4 speakers and a sub and asp in the back. Lady is asking 1000. If I were to make an offer what should it be?
        -Rafe-

Things I have for sale.
        Random Festiva Parts

Comment

Oh and after driving a couple blocks when I popped the hood some smoke was coming out the front of the engine..maybe by the exhaust. After turning it of and driving several more blocks I popped the hood again and there was no smoke.

Hood was popped in the pics.

Smoke was coming from right down here

-Rafe-

Things I have for sale.
          Random Festiva Parts

Comment

So the lady selling like owns or at least works at this Mexican restaurant and after I drive the car I came inside to get done lunch while I decide what to do and another guy came in while I was eating to test drive it. He came back and offered 700. She said no.
            -Rafe-

Things I have for sale.
            Random Festiva Parts

Comment

No input on this one?

I got the lady down to 700. Told her she could keep all the audio equipment. I have a headunit at home. And I don't care for the sub.
              Last edited by Prafeston; 07-28-2012, 05:02 PM.
              -Rafe-

Things I have for sale.
              Random Festiva Parts

Comment

If no one talks me out of this I'm probably picking this thing up in the morning.
                -Rafe-

Things I have for sale.
                Random Festiva Parts

Comment

The last one you looked at has had a coat of paint and quick body job. But as with most or all Festys door dings and parking lot rash tend to drive folks to body and paint shops even when they're not hit or rusted.
                  You need someone (or yourself) to look very carefully underneath. Tie rod and axle boots that are compromised mean repairs soon coming up and loose balljoints or not entirely free-spinning wheels mean upcoming bearings and seals. Are the tires worn funny (anywhere; people do rotate them when selling a car)? What is the shape of the discs and pads, drums and shoes?
                  On the other hand a car for under $1000 that passes gov't inspection and runs OK should at least keep you moving long enough, with savings in gas consumption, while plotting the next strategy for upgrade suspension/wheels/motor etc.
                  They are 20+ year old cars don't you know, built and designed in a era when vehicles (not just econoboxes) were expected to limp and smoke right to the dump on their 10th anniversary or sooner!

Comment

The brakes could maybe be replaced or upgraded. It stopped but seemed like I had to press down pretty hard. My biggest worry is the rattling shifter...is this a common problem? What would cause it and what would fix it?
                    -Rafe-

Things I have for sale.
                    Random Festiva Parts

Comment

That sounds like a good deal to me, repairs will be needed and you are in the
                      price range to get them done and the ones you haven't found yet.
                      Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

That looks like a 7 or 800 $ Festiva to me. Again...check for rust underneath at the points where the suspension attaches to the body.

The rattling shifter is just bushings that need to be replaced. As long as it shifting and staying in gear, it's no problem.

There's a number of inexpensive ways to fix/upgrade the shifter.

This last Festiva looks pretty good, IMHO.
                        '88 Festiva L, stock carby engine (with exhaust upgrade), 4 speed tranny. Aspire Struts and Springs, Capri 14" wheels, interior gutted, battery in back

'92 Geo Metro XFi

'87 Suzuki Samurai

'85 F150, modded 300cid

Comment

Thanks for the input guys. Should be picking it up after lunch tomorrow.
                          -Rafe-

Things I have for sale.
                          Random Festiva Parts

Comment

Sweet! Come out to the mini meet next weekend if you can! In Hermann.
                            -93' L BP swap/e-series, coilovers, RIO front swap, redrilled festy drums, Miata 14" 7 spokes.
                            -88' Mazda 323 SE, work in progress..
                            -85' Nissan Sentra 5 spd.

Comment

I didn't know about this mini meet in Hermann? Going to the brewery?
                              -Rafe-

Things I have for sale.
                              Random Festiva Parts

Comment

The smoke could be valve cover gasket leaking onto the exhaust manifold. If you buy the car and need a part keep me in mind, being you are in Missouri and all. Shipping kills many large part needs.
                                sigpic
                                The Don - Midwest Festiva Inc., Missouri Chapter

Link to my festiva pictures below
                                https://fordfestiva.com/forums/album.php?albumid=10
                                Celebrating 25 years of festiva(s) ownership.

Comment

Working...
                                X