No announcement yet.

2 Killed in Festiva

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I tried looking for updates, but so far none.

Karl
    '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
    '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
    '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
    '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
    '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

All because someone was an idiot.. wow.
      -93' L BP swap/e-series, coilovers, RIO front swap, redrilled festy drums, Miata 14" 7 spokes.
      -88' Mazda 323 SE, work in progress..
      -85' Nissan Sentra 5 spd.

Comment

Back in driver's ed class we saw a movie called "The Final Factor" illustrating the combination of events leading to a disaster. If you remove any one of them you might escape unscathed. The factors leading to this one are: Doofus behind the wheel, blowout, prolonged stupidity, no jersey barrier between opposing lanes, no shoulder or escape area, small car in wrong place at wrong time.

Comment

"The Final Factor!" I used to show that video. I'd make some wisecracks about each of the characters as the drama unfolded.

Karl

Comment

Originally posted by Flyin4stroke View Post
            It's safer than my motorcycle....
            This!
            -Rafe-

Things I have for sale.
            Random Festiva Parts
            Festiva Non-Swoopy Power Drivers Mirror

Comment

Wow thats just crazy.

Comment

It's safer than my motorcycle....
                I'd question that, too.

The bike is much smaller and lighter, brakes and accelerates faster, and has an obvious maneuverability advantage.

Any vehicle is only as safe as the person operating it.

Comment

Originally posted by Christ View Post
                  I'd question that, too.
                  If I was sitting at this red light on my bike when I got rear ended and smashed into the car in front of me I doubt I would have walked away.
                  1988 Ford Festiva "Sonic" BPT g25mr MS2 standalone ecu, FOTY '11, Best Beater FMV, Fan Favorite FMVI

1989 Ford Mustang GT 5.slow

1996 Ford F-150

Comment

Right?

==================================================

I am on my droid right now, leave my grammar alone, and don't expect a book for a reply!
                    Contact me for information about Festiva Madness!
                    Remember, FestYboy is inflatable , and Scitzz means crazy, YO!
                    "Like I'm going to suggest we do the job right." ~Fecomatter May 28 2016.

Comment

If I was sitting at this red light on my bike when I got rear ended and smashed into the car in front of me I doubt I would have walked away.
                      We could throw you like a Frisbee!!

unlimited possibilities and unexplainable luck make any
                      predictions impossible. Statistics are the only thing we can
                      actually grasp. If we followed statistics it would be boring.
                      Almost all sports and recreational activities would be eliminated.
                      Cool jobs like farming are too dangerous. Only certified healthy
                      foods and clean water to eat and drink..We all choose a target
                      for adventure and adjust along the way. I like adventure!!
                      Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

Not good. Looks like no matter what kind of a car (s) they were, it was going to be bad. Head on crashes are never good.
                        I hate being Bi-Polar, it's awesome.

Comment

Update:

The Utah Highway Patrol is still investigating a head-on collision that killed two people and left one in extremely critical condition Friday.

Click on the comments to find out more. It appears that the wrong way driver may have been affected by a diabetic episode of some sort.

A couple folks posted who claim to know the deceased. According to one, four young girls were left mother (3) or fatherless (1).

From the article:

************************************************** ************

The accident occurred on State Route 201 near 12000 West in Magna after Rachel Funk's vehicle, apparently travelling with a blown tire, lost control or swerved into oncoming traffic clipping a gray pickup and crashing head-on with a 1990 Ford Festiva.

It took rescue crews 15 to 20 minutes to extricate Funk, 34, out of the wrong-way vehicle before sending her by medical helicopter to a local hospital. Investigators were unable to speak with her Friday.

"They need to interview her to see exactly what was happening but they do believe the tire was flat but they don't know if that was 100 percent what contributed to it," Utah Highway Patrol Corporal Todd Johnson said.

Jared Hamby, 30, of Salt Lake, and Nannette Baird, 32, of Taylorsville were pronounced dead at the scene.

UHP Sgt. Blaine Robbins said investigators don't know why the driver traveled so far down the wrong side of the road without pulling over or just stopping.

"We don't believe alcohol was a factor, we don't believe it was a medical problem or anything like that was a factor. It's kind of a mystery right now. There's a lot to be looked at, a lot to be investigated, because we really don't know at this time," he said. "At this point there's a lot of unknowns."

************************************************** ************

Karl

Comment

Another article, with some more info:

More comments about the four girls who lost a parent.

Karl

Comment

The accident almost killed the Galant driver as well. I believe she was on drugs, and that's why she's still alive. She didn't tense up on impact. The Festiva could have been a Mini or a Yaris or a Celica GT or another Galant. It was still an interstate head-on collision. That isn't going to fare well in just about any car.
                              In love with a MadScientist!:thumbright:
                              There's a fine line between breathtaking ingenuity and "That's the stupidest thing I've ever seen!"

Comment

Working...
                              X