The Festiva I can't have

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Festiva I can't have

There is a burgundy Festiva covered in weeds in Easley, SC at the U-Haul place. I have asked the guy (who I know is the owner of the car) how much he'd sell it for, several times over the past few years. His mother (who appears to be in her 80's) said it was $1,000 "because it gets great gas mileage." I can't spend that much on what is currently a lawn ornament. He said he wouldn't sell the car for that much. Then he said to get back to him. I did. He stalled, saying he had to contact the owner and give him my offer ($300). Next time, "I haven't heard back from him. Call me back in a few days." I gave him my phone number and told him to call me instead. Nothing. Two weeks later, I called him. More of the same, "uh, um, well, you see..." I let it ride for a year. Then I went by it again. It was still there. I pulled in. "My son just sold it! Some guy named Steve is supposed to come get it today." You're lying when you provide names to complete strangers.

I saw the car today. It's now part of a tree. It's killing me that this guy won't take my money so I can give the car a better home. If it were a starving dog, you better believe I'd have cut the chain and taken it home, but grand theft auto isn't something employers look for when hiring, and no car is worth that. How can I get him to cut the bs and either sell it or give me a straight answer? In my youthfulness, I would go in and demand he give it to me straight, put $300 on the counter, and not take no for an answer until the officer came and I just couldn't go back on the premises. I must be aging, because I thought it nest to not ask questions, go in with $300 and try to buy the car with a promise to rent a dolly from him, and fill the AF1 aquisitionary tow vehicle in his gas station. Yes, it seems a bit much, but you sweet talk a snake, don't you?
    In love with a MadScientist!:thumbright:
    There's a fine line between breathtaking ingenuity and "That's the stupidest thing I've ever seen!"

How much are you willing to spend on it? If he won't let you have it for that, then leave it be. It hurts to watch cars die like that, but thats just how some people are.
    No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

Originally posted by htchbck View Post
      How much are you willing to spend on it? If he won't let you have it for that, then leave it be. It hurts to watch cars die like that, but that's just how some people are.
      I know I think I'll try once more before I (secretly strip parts from) give up on it.
      In love with a MadScientist!:thumbright:
      There's a fine line between breathtaking ingenuity and "That's the stupidest thing I've ever seen!"

Comment

There are innumerable people that suddenly believe something has immense value the moment somebody inquires. You're best off to make your lo-ball offer, in writing and with a phone number, and then stand well back. Pestering them only increases the perceived value.
        Sooner or later they will want the car gone and then you can play coy and say in the intervening period you already found another one just like it but for a lesser payment you just might take it off their hands anyway as a goodwill gesture.

I got a complete 93LX that way. Cost me a year's wait but ultimately got it for $75 once his wife went on the warpath about cleaning up the yard.

Comment

Just remember, there will always be another festiva to buy.... Personally if I went through that much crap, I'd let it rot and look else where for a festiva

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
          1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
          2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

I have the same problem with this yellow one in my area...
            1991 Auto Ford Festiva " Noel " <-- cuz theres No L in Festiva
            1991 Manual Ford Festiva
            1999 ford f-250 5.4L My gas guzzler.

Comment

I have the same problem with my Dad trying to get rid of some of his junk that is just sitting there going to crap. Get rid of it and get something for it.
              1993 Festiva GL The Besty Festy

Comment

There is some sickness that allows some people to let something rot. There is an original-owner '88LX near me with 48K miles. It might have a tray! The owner is a freak. It is sunk into the ground and nearly obscured by weeds with a sign that says "not for sale". I might try to get a pic of it.

Comment

Straight Up

I would just bring me a tow dolly and show up and tell him straight up that its just sitting there and your not doing anything with it, i got $300 right here, i will take it away to a good home and it will become my problem.
                  Harrison M.
                  motobase8@yahoo.com | 91montero4x4@gmail.com

1989 Festiva Hatchback L 4 spd (project tuner)-33 MPG
                  1991 Mitsubishi Montero 4x4 (offroader)-14 MPG
                  1971 Datsun 240z (in restoration)
                  1966 Ford Falcon (restored)

Driving is a passion.

Comment

Working...
                  X