Thinking of buying another one

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thinking of buying another one

There's one for sale in Ft Worth I am thinking about.
    I haven't seen the car yet, but I've been emailing the owner.
    She's not the smartest person, so it's taken me over a week to get info out of her, but, it's a 92 GL auto in aqua.
    Its looks good in pics. Little to no damage. Paint has some shine. Alloy wheels and new tires.
    Does not run. She says the timing belt jumped. If that's all it is, its a simple fix.
    Her asking price is $650.
    However... it's an AUTOMATIC. I don't want an auto. How hard would it be to swap in a manual transmission?
    ~Austin
    Red 88 L (Ocho)

You might like the auto. Get it!

Comment

I'm going to look at the car tomorrow.

I have a quick question, though.
      Can I safely flat tow an automatic Festiva?
      It's in Azle, TX and I will be bringing it back to Midlothian. About 50~55 mi total.
      I won't go faster than 55MPH anyway, but do I need to go a little slower?
      All I have to tow with is a tow bar. I don't have access to a flatbed or any other trailers.
      ~Austin
      Red 88 L (Ocho)

Comment

No, you'll burn the trans up.

A tow dolly would work better.

If you had a spare set of inner axle shafts you could pull the axles and put the inner shafts in, but that's a real pain.

I guess you could drive it a mile, walk back to your car, drive it two, and just keep leapfrogging it home.... Or get someone else to go with you. ;p
        1963 Fairlane - future NSS drag car
        1965 Mustang Coupe - A-code car, restoring for/with my son
        1973 F100 longbed - only 22k original miles, 360/auto, disk, PS/PB dealer in dash A/C
        1996 Sonoma X-cab - son's DD
        2002 Grand Prix - daughter's DD
        2003 Sport Trac - 180k, 130k on replaced motor with new timing chains - F/S soon.
        2005 Accord - wife's DD
        2008 Mountaineer - step daughter's DD
        2015 F150 SCrew - DD

Comment

Stop towing and start your towed car every 5 miles, hit forward and reverse just to splash
          things around then go again. Make sure ATF looks okay and is full. 55mph is faster than
          you should spin things too, I think short distance was also supposed to be 35 max.

Best to tow with tranny not spinning, dolley or cv ends bolted in place of cv shafts.
          You can leave shafts in tranny, but pull from hubs and put dummies in there.
          Last edited by Movin; 08-17-2012, 11:39 PM.
          Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

The car doesn't run.
            ~Austin
            Red 88 L (Ocho)

Comment

All this stuff pictured below will be spinning with very little residual ATF and
              without spinning the motor the oil pump does not pump. None of the spinning
              parts are in oil, the oil is all in the pan and in the torque converter, a little
              scattered elsewhere, but no oil will be splashed around. The bearings pictured
              will go dry then start heating up. Bad things happen when one of them seizes.
              If you get it borrow- trade - rent what ever for the use of a dolly or trailer.

Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

I didn't get it. I went and looked at it, but it was in worse condition than the pictures showed. The interior was nasty. It didn't have a battery. And the owner said the engine was making a noise before it died. I went up to $450 but they wouldn't go down from $500.
                Just wasn't worth it.
                ~Austin
                Red 88 L (Ocho)

Comment

Couldn't you just run the engine and leave it in neutral and flat tow?
                  91GL BP/F3A with boost
                  13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

Walk away.

Comment

Originally posted by bhazard View Post
                      Couldn't you just run the engine and leave it in neutral and flat tow?
                      he said the car does not run...but I know night crawler has towed numerous auto's by leaving them running without issue.
                      "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
                      89L Silver EFI auto
                      91GL Green Auto DD
                      There ain't no rest for the wicked
                      until we close our eyes for good.
                      I will sleep when I die!
                      I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

If it ran, I'd have had someone drive it. Not a problem, haha.
                        ~Austin
                        Red 88 L (Ocho)

Comment

Forgive the slight derailing and my ignorance but why can't you tow an automatic car without it being running if you just put it into neutral??? Sorry to hear it wasn't what you wanted though oren. I know the feeling... i've been trying to find a car for a few weeks for less than 1200... i am having very little to no luck... people want 1200-1500 for cars/trucks with trans problems or bad motors or other crap.

Comment

Even though the tranny is in neutral, the internals are still spinning as both axles are being turned by the wheels. As explained above, the gears are all moving(at least the differential gears and some bearings), but the fluid isn't being circulated. The ATF pumps on most cars are driven by the engine, so turning the internals without the engine running can lead to overheating because they aren't getting lubed.

A few cars have the fluid pumps driven off the axles or transmission shafts and do pump fluid when the wheels are turned -engine on or off -but apparently Festiva transmissions are not of this design.

Manuals do not suffer from this as the lower gears and parts are essentially bathed in oil all the time and it is circulated further to other parts by them spinning.
                            Last edited by Oren09; 08-19-2012, 04:31 AM.
                            ~Austin
                            Red 88 L (Ocho)

Comment

The seller contacted me again today. Apparently she hasn't found anyone else to buy it.
                              I've offered $300 because I'll have to rent a trailer and she finally accepted my offer.

I'm really thinking about getting it now. I fear the engine may be bad, but if it isn't, then I've got a cheap little backup car. I have another car I got earlier this month that could donate it's manual tranny if I really hate the auto.
                              ~Austin
                              Red 88 L (Ocho)

Comment

Working...
                              X