Clutch/brake pedal height?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clutch/brake pedal height?

I am wondering if anybody has adjusted on their clutch and brake pedals heights?
    If so, how do you like them? To the factory specs, or custom setting?

Haynes has the clutch pedal height at 8.2 to 8.4 inch, with .35 to.56 inch freeplay.
    The brake pedal height at 8.03 to 8.23, with .16 to .28 inch freeplay.

I do not like these settings! My clutch pedal was about 8.75 high, so I adjusted it to spec, still didnt like it (too high) so I re-adjusted to about 7.75.
    Much better, but then I measured the brake pedal and it was at about 6.75. So it is not right either.
    Mostly I have a problem with the small clutch freeplay dimension. I like the clutch to engage much closer to the floor then the factory specs, giving almost 1 1/2-2 inches of freeplay.
    With the factory specs it is like I am holding my leg up in the air to shift, and it seems forever to engage the clutch when releasing the pedal.

What have you guys done with your pedal heights?
    Dan

Red 1988 Festiva L - CUJO

Black 1992 Festiva GL Sport - BLACK MAGIC

I'm just...a little slow... sometimes:withstupid:

R.I.P.
    Blue 1972 Chevelle SS-468 C.I.D. B'nM TH400-4:56 posi-Black racing stripes-Black vinyl top-Black int.
    Black on black 1976 Camaro LT-350 4 bolt main .060 over
    Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!
    http://www.reverbnation.com/main/sea...t_songs/266647

Originally posted by drddan View Post
    I am wondering if anybody has adjusted on their clutch and brake pedals heights?
    If so, how do you like them? To the factory specs, or custom setting?

Haynes has the clutch pedal height at 8.2 to 8.4 inch, with .35 to.56 inch freeplay.
    The brake pedal height at 8.03 to 8.23, with .16 to .28 inch freeplay.

I do not like these settings! My clutch pedal was about 8.75 high, so I adjusted it to spec, still didnt like it (too high) so I re-adjusted to about 7.75.
    Much better, but then I measured the brake pedal and it was at about 6.75. So it is not right either.
    Mostly I have a problem with the small clutch freeplay dimension. I like the clutch to engage much closer to the floor then the factory specs, giving almost 1 1/2-2 inches of freeplay.
    With the factory specs it is like I am holding my leg up in the air to shift, and it seems forever to engage the clutch when releasing the pedal.

What have you guys done with your pedal heights?
    You have to take into account the amount of wear on the clutch for the amount of travel before it starts engaging.
    "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
    89L Silver EFI auto
    91GL Green Auto DD
    There ain't no rest for the wicked
    until we close our eyes for good.
    I will sleep when I die!
    I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

Its a new stage 2 clutch, the adjustments are about the same as the old one, a 4 yr old clutch. Even an old clutch can be adjusted to spec. (Turn the nut on the cable end to adjust freeplay)

I was asking about personnal preferences and the way people like their pedals adjusted.

I like my clutch to engage with the pedal closer to the floor.
      Last edited by drddan; 09-07-2012, 10:19 PM.
      Dan

R.I.P.
      Blue 1972 Chevelle SS-468 C.I.D. B'nM TH400-4:56 posi-Black racing stripes-Black vinyl top-Black int.
      Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!

Comment

I understand they can be adjusted....but a worn out clutch can not be made to start engaging right off the floor without sacrificing some other part of the adjustment.

A 4 year old clutch has barely any wear on it compared to 20 years of wear. So the adjustment would seem the same as your new clutch versus a 4 year old clutch.
        89L Silver EFI auto
        91GL Green Auto DD
        I will sleep when I die!
        I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

Yep. How about you?...spec?.. or different than spec?

I'd bet you have more freeplay than spec :p
          Dan

R.I.P.
          Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!

Comment

The newer hydraulic clutches are all self-adjusting just like disc brake calipers. Thankfully? our old bombs are not. 2 years ago my dad cursed a blue streak about not being able to adjust the clutch pedal height the way he wanted on the Toyota Echo he'd just bought. He wound up clamping blocks on to the face of the pedal.
            At least on Festys you can somewhat choose where you want things. The sole mechanical adjustment is a nut at the end of the cable right at the fork on the tranny. If you loosen it off the pedal will engage closer to the floor (if that's what you want) Tightening it too much means it's never entirely disengaged, so do not do that. By rights there should be no, or very little, slack on that cable when it's at rest.

Comment

Originally posted by drddan View Post
              Yep. How about you?...spec?.. or different than spec?

I'd bet you have more freeplay than spec :p
              I bet. I have not had a manual in a few years....and I have never experienced a spec clutch set up.
              89L Silver EFI auto
              91GL Green Auto DD
              I will sleep when I die!

Comment

I've had a Festy clutch pedal off before (not a huge undertaking) in order to attach a new clutch cable but I did not notice if there was an adjustable pedal stop somewhere on the pedal or under the dashboard. You'd think there would be one.
                Get under there with a flashlight and see what you can find.

Comment

Originally posted by GenevaDirt View Post
                  I bet. I have not had a manual in a few years....and I have never experienced a spec clutch set up.
                  My goodness man! Just think of what you've been missing.

Comment

Originally posted by Bert View Post
                    My goodness man! Just think of what you've been missing.
                    Nothing. I love my auto's. Would never give them up. But I also love the manuals. That said....I do not hesitate to buy a Festy I want because of the tranny. If I cared that much I could always change the setup easy enough.
                    89L Silver EFI auto
                    91GL Green Auto DD
                    I will sleep when I die!

Comment

Originally posted by Bert View Post
                      I've had a Festy clutch pedal off before (not a huge undertaking) in order to attach a new clutch cable but I did not notice if there was an adjustable pedal stop somewhere on the pedal or under the dashboard. You'd think there would be one.
                      Get under there with a flashlight and see what you can find.
                      There are adjustments for both clutch and brake pedals under the dash.
                      The electrical connector, on the very top of the pedals, are metal with a round threaded stud, that goes through a hole to the pedal and has a lock nut on it.
                      Disconnect wire, loosen the the lock nut, and screw in the connector, retighten the lock nut.
                      The measurments I gave above apply measuring from the angled firewall side of floor, including carpet, to the top of the pedal pad.
                      Last edited by drddan; 09-07-2012, 11:42 PM.
                      Dan

R.I.P.
                      Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!

Comment

Now that all the possible avenues for adjustments have been tallied I still think you are entirely free to set the pedal height wherever you want it.

It is your car after all. And were I to buy it off you and didn't like what I got it could all be changed again.

Comment

Yea, thats a nice thing about a Festy.

The manuel says IT MUST BE THIS HEIGHT AND FREEPLAY in order to operate correctly lol

I will set it wherever I want. When I first took ownership of mine, the clutch engaged when the pedal was an inch off the floor!
                          It was good for quick shifts, but I adjusted it a little farther. I usually have about 2 inches of freeplay. Fits my driving style I guess, and puts the engagement about where I like it.
                          With only 1/2 inch of freeplay, like is suggested, it seems like a lot of travel of the pedal before engagement of clutch.

Almost forgot...there is a plastic pad on the top of pedals, 1/8 or so thick, to cushion the stop on the connector button. Mine had broke and why my clutch pedal was so high. I epoxied 2 pieces of hard rubber together, and epoxied them to where the old pad was. Being thicker, it lowered the pedal to the 7 3/4 height, about where I like it, instead of the suggested 8 1/4 to 8 3/8 height.
                          Last edited by drddan; 09-08-2012, 12:19 AM.
                          Dan

R.I.P.
                          Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!

Comment

Some people like high pedals and lots of travel and others are the complete reverse. Thank the Lord we are able to accommodate these things.
                            Today's cars don't leave you much choice. In trying to adjust the pedal on my dad's Echo there was only a bump stop with about 1/16 inch of adjustment and that was it.
                            The other thing I appreciate about adjustable pedals is you have a pretty good idea of when the clutch plate is getting down close to the rivets and out of desperation you can come up with one or two turns of slack in trying to buy an extra week of driving while waiting for that new clutch to arrive.

Comment

Working...
                            X