X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rocketman,
    I bought some plasticene for $3.
    My first pass looks a little cludgy.
    I will make it a little more "swoopy", if you know what I mean.
    I am going to start cutting again with the knife. This time, I hope I don't cut myself again. Please excuse any dried blood on the prototype.
    Last edited by bravekozak; 07-05-2014, 10:47 AM.

Comment

Nice
      -Greg
      Euro-bprt...WORLDS FASTEST FESTIVA !!! 11.78@115.9
      BP, G trans, Megasquirt/ 550cc inj. t3/t3 (tbird) Garrett, REAR TURBO!!!! AND AC!!!!
      Redneck Engineer
      FOTY - '09
      5x Festiva Madness Attendee...FM 3,4,5,6,8
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpCZ7...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vU_eX...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ

Comment

Second pass.
        I think I will do another pass.
        No blood this time!
        Rocketman, I only need the locking bump on the bottom, since this bracket will be handed. I am going to shave off a lot of weight, since even a 15/16" support will be thick enough. This ain't plastic.
        Last edited by bravekozak; 07-05-2014, 11:16 AM.

Comment

Third pass. Getting closer. Please feel free to comment or make suggestions. That is why I am posting each pass. All ideas welcome. The goal is to drill a hole down the tube and just stick in the chrome wire. The dash is tipped back slightly. The Mini drink holder platform will level the big gulp. On the new drink holders, they have pictographs showing no wine glasses.
          Last edited by bravekozak; 07-05-2014, 12:28 PM.

Comment

Now I can finally see it. couldn't picture it before. Awesome !!!
            -Bryant

Comment

Holes have to be drilled to a fixed depth top and bottom. There are rib stops that you can't see on the other side of the plastic Mini bracket. It locks in the straight out position. It swings out of the way for access to the glove box or radio.
              Rocketman, would any specific changes be required due to the parting line?

Can anyone without a cubby reach underneath their ashtray and see if there's enough room for some mounting screws. How many do you think I need? Two or three?

I presume it wil be painted grey, to match the dash.
              Last edited by bravekozak; 07-06-2014, 01:51 PM.

Comment

Gomez. I insist my big drinks must be where I can easily grab it. Floating half way between the shifter and rhe radio seems like a good place. The bracket will be smooth and sculpted. I made a few more changes. I will post after the first casting is complete. If this works out the way I expect it, this would be an easy bolt on for everyone. I am leaning towards three M6 machine screws for rigidity, with flange nuts (all obtainable from the junkyard from other cars).

Let's hear it for (non-alcoholic) drinking and driving!
                Last edited by bravekozak; 07-06-2014, 06:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by scitzz View Post

Running around outside the asylum again with my tappy talky appy
                  Ghetto cupholder
                  Last edited by TorqueEffect; 07-06-2014, 06:47 PM.
                  1991 Ford Festiva BP (Full Aspire/Rio Swap) (337k Miles) (Around 95k Engine)
                  2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport 2.2L DOHC Ecotec (Threw a Rod)
                  1998 Chevy Monte Carlo LS 3.1 V6 (225k miles) Best MPG = 28

Comment

... Brave. I wonder how hard it would be to adapt it to hold a super small laptop for some on the fly tuning. Then maybe a quick switch back to the gulp holder? (at a stoplight of course. lol

I will be using MS and need a safe place to put the laptop.
                    Last edited by Gomez; 08-29-2014, 10:43 PM.
                    -Bryant

Comment

The reason why I chose to mount the bracket where I did, is to have the majority of the weight push down on the ashtray slide support. I have a 1993 dash with the tubular frame. I may support a laptop, but certainly a tablet. Ask Rocketman how hard it would be to modify the support arm. All I know is the parting line will run down the support arm. I want Rocketman to cast in the centering bump for the black plastic cup holder alignment bushing. It could be machined off for you. See if there are two piece tablet supports on the bay. Then you will know what the mount has to look like.

I can't remember if I said this, but the 1/8" wire frame for the Mini cup holder is spring steel. It has flex, so that it will mount by pulling it apart an then releasing it onto the support.
                      Last edited by bravekozak; 08-30-2014, 07:03 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by TorqueEffect View Post
                        Ghetto cupholder
                        Yes, ghetto and proud! Cheap and easy!

Running around outside the asylum again with my tappy talky appy
                        Contact me for information about Festiva Madness!
                        Remember, FestYboy is inflatable , and Scitzz means crazy, YO!
                        "Like I'm going to suggest we do the job right." ~Fecomatter May 28 2016.

Comment

Originally posted by fastivaca View Post
                          Taken from a Protege console and mated to the Festiva....

I'm going to be installed three power outlets in the space below the cupholders soon.
                          That is cool! Very inventive.
                          90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
                          09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

This 99-03 SAAB swing-out drink holder may be good for those who do not have a cubby under their dash.

Actually, I wonder how it would work if it opened toward the passenger seat, should I remove the plastic storage bin and weld it on my center armrest?
                            Last edited by bravekozak; 11-01-2015, 07:02 AM.

Comment

If anybody sees a 99-03 Volvo S80 at the wreckers, please get the cup holder for me only if the width of the lower housing isn't wider than 83mm (3.168"). I am trying to incorporate my drink holder into the center armrest. I did figure out how to level my armrest.
                              Last edited by bravekozak; 02-14-2016, 08:21 PM.

Comment

Check out this cigar lighter cupholder. It prevents carjackings. Be sure to scroll down to the bottom to see the duct tape cupholder.

Comment

Working...
                                X