Matt's Back!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nitrofarm View Post
    You gonna put it on a Dyno? I'd love to see what she'll do. Its too bad they never made a serious intake for the B3. The stock one looks like it could hold back air flow on the top end. So Matt has 1.3 turbo's? Does he have exhaust manifolds also?
    I know matt has an n/a header, I think he said it was 250$ but I'm not sure. If you want a turbo manifold I'm sure he could easily make one.

Comment

You could try using an early B6 intake. The plenum volume is much bigger than the B3. The runners are larger as well, but you could probably match the ports in the head or use the B3 lower section and match it to the B6 upper intake.
      Brian

93L - 5SP, FMS springs, 323 alloys, 1st gen B6, ported head & intake, FMS cam, ported exhaust manifold w/2-1/4" head pipe.
      04 Mustang GT, 5SP, CAI, TFS plenum, 70mm TB, catted X, Pypes 304SS cat-back, Hurst Billet+ shifter, SCT/Bama tuned....4.10's & cams coming soon
      62 Galaxie 2D sedan project- 428, 3x2V, 4SP, 3.89TLOC

1 wife, 2 kids, 9 dogs, 4 cats......
      Not enough time or money for any of them

Comment

Yeah, I would tend to agree as well. Compared to the over-all length, there isn't a whole lot that actually protrudes into the port. Plus, the last 1/4" or so of the guide does not actually contact the valve stem anyway. If it was a cast iron head with integral guides, most people grind the guide boss off flush with the port ceiling anyway. I actually thought about cutting the guides off when I ported my head as well, but I didn't think it would be worth the extra effort or add that much flow. I was also unsure of the effect on guide wear, and with the higher lift cam, I wanted to play it safe. Instead, I opted to grind the outside diameter of the guide smaller (where it protrudes into the port) and bullet nose the ends of the guides. It would have been easy to cut them off, since I had brand new guides.........had I known it was worth that much flow I would have, but Oh well. At least it makes me optomistic that the mods I did do should have some benefit.

I can't wait to see the mods on the chamber. Do you know if Matt has his own flow bench or has someone else test his heads? I asked him once, but can't remember the answer. I would love to have some hard flow numbers to play with. The only problem with this thread is that it's about 6 months too late, LOL.
        Last edited by blkfordsedan; 10-25-2012, 12:43 PM.
        Brian

93L - 5SP, FMS springs, 323 alloys, 1st gen B6, ported head & intake, FMS cam, ported exhaust manifold w/2-1/4" head pipe.
        04 Mustang GT, 5SP, CAI, TFS plenum, 70mm TB, catted X, Pypes 304SS cat-back, Hurst Billet+ shifter, SCT/Bama tuned....4.10's & cams coming soon

Comment

You gonna put it on a Dyno? I'd love to see what she'll do. Its too bad they never made a serious intake for the B3. The stock one looks like it could hold back air flow on the top end. So Matt has 1.3 turbo's? Does he have exhaust manifolds also?
          dyno is a possibility, but likely a 1/4 pass will be the first show of numbers.
          Yeah, matt has turbos and he can make manifolds as well, all you have to do is ask. i inquired about a turbo and manifold combo and he said in the $500 range (not bad really)
          Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
          94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Originally posted by blkfordsedan View Post
            You could try using an early B6 intake. The plenum volume is much bigger than the B3. The runners are larger as well, but you could probably match the ports in the head or use the B3 lower section and match it to the B6 upper intake.
            that was discussed last night on chat... but it'll happen AFTER i've maxed out all the B3 stuffs

Matt has his own flow bench, and IIRC he said getting much more than 100cfm out of our runners is difficult. just shows you how small our stuff really is. and he also mentioned that anything above .480 lift netted "0" gain in flow.
            Last edited by FestYboy; 10-25-2012, 04:36 PM.

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),

Comment

Originally posted by FestYboy View Post
              that was discussed last night on chat... but it'll happen AFTER i've maxed out all the B3 stuffs

Matt has his own flow bench, and IIRC he said getting much more than 100cfm out of our runners is difficult. just shows you how small our stuff really is. and he also mentioned that anything above .480 lift netted "0" gain in flow.
              1/4 mile times are the next best thingto a dyno $500.00 seems very fair.Havent had any free time to check his FB page,does the turbo have bov? Or is it a dedicated turbo only?
              Some people like to read fiction,I prefer to read repair manuals. Weird I know-
              Henry Ford: "Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently"
              Fuseable Link Distribution Block repair link

Comment

I assume he's only worked with/flowed a B3 head? I wonder what a B6 head will flow with the larger ports and valves. I wish I knew knew Matt had his own bench...I would have sent him my head and had him flow test it. I propose you do a complete and detailed writeup with all the juicy details as soon as possible!!!!
                Brian

Comment

as it is, i'll be sending 3-4 cams to him, i happen to have a spare stripped B6 head..... hmmm i think if i ask really nicely, we could maybe get #s from him.

Comment

I assume he's only worked with/flowed a B3 head? I wonder what a B6 head will flow with the larger ports and valves. I wish I knew knew Matt had his own bench...I would have sent him my head and had him flow test it. I propose you do a complete and detailed writeup with all the juicy details as soon as possible!!!!
                    I wish I would have known to remove the extra portion of the valve guide. I just rebuilt my head,but havent got around to installing it.

Comment

I wish I would have known to remove the extra portion of the valve guide. I just rebuilt my head,but havent got around to installing it.
                      Best time to remove it is before it is installed
                      Contact me for information about Festiva Madness!
                      Remember, FestYboy is inflatable , and Scitzz means crazy, YO!
                      "Like I'm going to suggest we do the job right." ~Fecomatter May 28 2016.

Comment

Originally posted by scitzz View Post
                        Best time to remove it is before it is installed
                        LOL I need to get it installed, its getting colder ever day. And I'm not motivated right now,let alone taking it back apart to grind on it. But def the next one will get some elbow work.

Comment

its getting colder ever day.
                          Shaddap! Talking about it makes it happen faster!
                          Contact me for information about Festiva Madness!
                          Remember, FestYboy is inflatable , and Scitzz means crazy, YO!
                          "Like I'm going to suggest we do the job right." ~Fecomatter May 28 2016.

Comment

Why not send your head up to Dan Harry in Sioux City AKA Harry Heads. His people do a good job.
                            An idea can turn to dust or magic, depending on the talent that rubs against it.

Comment

Not sure how you would cut the guides off once they're installed in the head. Maybe Matt can do it, but I would just buy new guides, cut them, then install them. They're cheap anyway.

Originally posted by sc72 View Post
                              Why not send your head up to Dan Harry in Sioux City AKA Harry Heads. His people do a good job.
                              The head is already on the motor and should be installed by next weekend. All I really wanted was someone to measure the flow after I did the work. Mostly for curiosity.
                              Brian

Comment

Haha! If I had a spare junk head, I would work over 3 of the 4 cylinders...each with varying amounts of mods done. Then I would have him flow each one to get an idea of what effect each mod has and compare to the stock cylinder. Then he could do the remaining cylinder himself to see what he can get out of it (if he wanted). If you're interested, I may be able to kick in some bucks....assuming he would charge us, of course. It may cost too much, but it sure would be cool.
                                Brian

Comment

Working...
                                X