Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Newbie Here, My First 1991 Ford Festiva!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another red Texas car without A/C!
    Haha, welcome.
    It runs and drives so I'd say $500 is a decent price.
    ~Austin
    Red 88 L (Ocho)

Comment

I just put some coolant in it. It seems to be holding. Still smokes and smells bad x.x and the AC blew all this dust in my face. Pretty sure I've contracted a few diseases XD
      Daily Driver:
      91 Red Ford Festiva L 5spd Stock

Show Car:
      2004 Black Premium Mustang GT Convertible

Comment

Originally posted by scitzz View Post
        For a car to start learning mechanics on, you have chosen well, young grasshopper. These are the legos of the car world...legos that can move very fast indeed!
        Very true, these cars are remarkably easy to work on compared to most newer cars.

Welcome to the site.

Festivame

Comment

Hey there, CrookedHalos! Nice car. There are a few things I'd do to check and make sure you're running great. Check your air filter. Four bolts around the box on the left hand corner will get you to the air filter. Here's a link to the filter. I also suggest replacing the PCV, located on top of the left side of the valve cover. Here's a link for a PCV. New spark plugs might help, and NKG copper works best. You'll want to gap them to .040 if they're not already. Here's a link for NKG spark plugs. Here's a link for spark plug wires. You'll do well to pull the distributor cap off and check (clean?) the connections too. You might also want to check the small hose to the right of the valve cover where the thermostat housing is that curves back around to the hard tubing, which I believe is called a thermostat bypass hose. I'm not sure what kind of hose is best to replace that one with. As far as oil, you'll want 3.6l of 5w30 oil. Here's a link to the filter you need. Replacing the fusable links (the three loops on the driver's side strut tower behind the battery) with long-legged cartridge (PAL) fuses at 30A, 40A, and 30A left to right respectively will ensure you're not going to have any issues with old connections and new components. 30 PAL link. 40 PAL link. I suggest you clean the connections (disconnect the battery ) before sliding the new cartridges on, and maybe use some connectivity grease to ensure a great connection.
          In love with a MadScientist!:thumbright:
          There's a fine line between breathtaking ingenuity and "That's the stupidest thing I've ever seen!"

Comment

Thank you so much DriverOne! That's exactly what I needed I bought a set of spark wires, distributor cap and the rotor, and filter off Rockauto all for like $25. The rest ill have to get locally. Woo!
            Daily Driver:

Show Car:

Comment

I started the car up, left it in neutral. Every time I pressed the gas pedal even a little, the check engine light would come on. When I release the pedal it turns off.. Anyone dealt with this before?
              Daily Driver:

Show Car:

Comment

Originally posted by CrookedHalos View Post
                I just put some coolant in it. It seems to be holding. Still smokes and smells bad x.x and the AC blew all this dust in my face. Pretty sure I've contracted a few diseases XD
                Welcome...

On the right side of the fire wall in the engine compartment there is a cover that you can remove to clean out the fresh air intake. You might want to take that off and see what's in there.
                Last edited by 1990new; 11-05-2012, 05:33 PM.

Comment

Welcome!!!!! Enjoy the site great group of people here!

Comment

Re: Newbie Here, My First 1991 Ford Festiva!!

Originally posted by CrookedHalos View Post
                    I started the car up, left it in neutral. Every time I pressed the gas pedal even a little, the check engine light would come on. When I release the pedal it turns off.. Anyone dealt with this before?
                    Maybe vacuum hoses? Possibly the 02 sensor?
                    In love with a MadScientist!:thumbright:
                    There's a fine line between breathtaking ingenuity and "That's the stupidest thing I've ever seen!"

Comment

I just hope it's noting internal! My parts will be delivered Wednesday. Ill start the process of elimination then!
                      Daily Driver:

Show Car:

Comment

So I just found that the engine fan was hot wired. You have to open up the hood, clip on the wire to the hood for the fan to turn on. Makes me think the engine ran while cooking and that's where the hesitation is coming from. I hope my pistons aren't messed up . I start the tune up tomorrow, lets see how it goes.
                        Daily Driver:

Show Car:

Comment

FIXED THE Festiva!!! It was the MAF senosor, swapped that out and it ran smooth as butter.. Haha I need to write the owner a thank you letter for selling me a perfectly working Festiva for $500!
                          Daily Driver:

Show Car:

Comment

Now go play the lottery , and drive the festiva there . Lol
                            Only a few and the proud drive Festivas !

Comment

Lucky you ,Now go play the lottery , and drive the festiva there . Lol
                              Only a few and the proud drive Festivas !

Comment

Working...
                              X