Tranny Fluid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tranny Fluid

I have a bone stock 1993 Ford festiva 5-speed and want to change tranny fluid.

Where is the drain plug?

How much fluid do I use to refill?

What fluid do I use?

Where the hell is the dipstick for the tranny fluid?

Thanks!
    Last edited by Flw Sock; 11-26-2012, 08:48 PM.

The auto transmission takes about 3.5-4 quarts kinda forgot how much. You can use regular mercon/dextron III or even mercon V. I myself stick to the older stuff. The drain plug is located on the left side behind the rear of the transmission oil pan. Its located right on the bottom of the housing for the automatic transmission. THe drain plug is i think size 18mm or 19mm not to sure. The manual transmision is i think the same but not too sure. You need to check the fluid after putting in 3 quarts then check it while its running. Car should be warm and not hot. after 3 quarts add only pints or small amount and keep rechecking.
    Last edited by jtugfestiva; 11-26-2012, 08:49 PM.

Comment

Where is the dipstick? I can't find it! Am I blind or do I have to check it some other way?

Comment

When looking at the engine its on the right side right below the master cylinder.

Comment

To check the fill level and to add fluid on a manual trasmission you must remove the speedometer drive gear. There is no dipstick.
          Last edited by bravekozak; 11-26-2012, 09:07 PM.

Comment

Tranny Fluid

Single 10mm bolt on a flange that the speedo-cable comes from. Pull the whole aluminum piece out carefully, making sure not to let the speedo-gear fall in. There's a fluid level indicator on there which you can read.
            -Zack
            Blue '93 GL Auto: White 13" 5 Point Wheels, Full LED Conversion, and an 8" Sub

Comment

Drain plug is in the bottom...access it through a hole in the engine support cradle. It takes 2.6 qts, if I remember correctly. Most common fluid is Dextron II (ATF), although a light gear oil is acceptable as well. I am going to try Synchromesh fluid in mine, and some companies like Redline make special fluid designed for manual transaxles that call for ATF. These fluids offer better gear protection and the proper friction for synchros. If you stick with ATF, avoid the synthetics. They are actually too slick for proper synchro function. Yes, the end of the speedo cable doubles as the dipstick. Make sure you clean the dirt and gravel off the trans in the area around it before you remove it. The last thing you want is to knock a bunch of dirt and crap into the hole on accident.
              Brian

93L - 5SP, FMS springs, 323 alloys, 1st gen B6, ported head & intake, FMS cam, ported exhaust manifold w/2-1/4" head pipe.
              04 Mustang GT, 5SP, CAI, TFS plenum, 70mm TB, catted X, Pypes 304SS cat-back, Hurst Billet+ shifter, SCT/Bama tuned....4.10's & cams coming soon
              62 Galaxie 2D sedan project- 428, 3x2V, 4SP, 3.89TLOC

1 wife, 2 kids, 9 dogs, 4 cats......
              Not enough time or money for any of them

Comment

^ Last 2 answers are right on! For clarification, the speedo cable on the tranny is the dipstick, and there are raised marks showing the fluid level inside the hole the speedo goes in. Sometimes hard to see, use a source of light, or flashlight and you will see the marks.
                Dan

Red 1988 Festiva L - CUJO

Black 1992 Festiva GL Sport - BLACK MAGIC

I'm just...a little slow... sometimes:withstupid:

R.I.P.
                Blue 1972 Chevelle SS-468 C.I.D. B'nM TH400-4:56 posi-Black racing stripes-Black vinyl top-Black int.
                Black on black 1976 Camaro LT-350 4 bolt main .060 over
                Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!
                http://www.reverbnation.com/main/sea...t_songs/266647

Comment

My bad I didn't see that he was talking about a 5spd :/

Comment

Originally posted by jtugfestiva View Post
                    My bad I didn't see that he was talking about a 5spd :/
                    go to your room and think about what you have done....then after you have contemplated.....I want you to walk out in the back yard and find me a switch off that weeping willow tree. You will think twice before doing that again.....hehehehe
                    "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
                    89L Silver EFI auto
                    91GL Green Auto DD
                    There ain't no rest for the wicked
                    until we close our eyes for good.
                    I will sleep when I die!
                    I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

Originally posted by bravekozak View Post
                      To check the fill level and to add fluid on a manual trasmission you must remove the speedometer drive gear. There is no dipstick.
                      This is correct. Not one of Ford/Mazda/Kia's better ideas. You're going to need a long piece of tubing and a funnel. And do not overfill. The manual says to use Mercon ATF (works fine in my cars) but I'm told lower weight regular tranny fluids also works.

Comment

Ok, so why would the speedometer gear fall? And is it the same gear on the speedometer assembly, or a gear with in the transmission?

Comment

EDIT: Nevermind
                          Last edited by Flw Sock; 11-27-2012, 02:49 PM.

Comment

Is this the speedo gear I have to remove? It's much bigger than 10mm....

Discover the magic of the internet at Imgur, a community powered entertainment destination. Lift your spirits with funny jokes, trending memes, entertaining gifs, inspiring stories, viral videos, and so much more from users.

Comment

Originally posted by Flw Sock View Post
                              Is this the speedo gear I have to remove? It's much bigger than 10mm....

http://imgur.com/u8gc5

No, that is a switch on your transmission.

Follow the speedo cable from the engine compartment firewall down to the transmission.
                              That is the speedo gear assembly.
                              The top hexagonal part unscrews from the bottom part, separating the speedo cable from the speedo gear assembly.
                              the bottom part is held to the transmission by a 10 mm bolt on an ear off the gear assembly.
                              clean the area before removing any of these as crude will fall into the transmission if not.

See above for drain plug on the underside of the transmission see blkfordsedan's post.
                              '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
                              '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
                              '92 Aqua parts Car
                              '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
                              '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
                              Your holy ghost will not save you.
                              Your God plutonium will not save you.
                              In fact...
                              ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

Working...
                              X