Mazda/KIA/Ford B3 valve covers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mazda/KIA/Ford B3 valve covers

E-test criteria for vehicles with non-OEM engines are less stringent in Ontario, Canada, as I understand it. I'm thinking a good ruse would be to bolt a Mazda or KIA script valve cover on my B3 and claim the engine was retrofit. Could you forum folks, that don't live in n America, please tell me or show me what Pride and/or 121 B3 valve covers look like, and if somebody has one they'd be willing to sell. Thanks.

I believe they are they are all the same. No name designation at all.
    '89L 110k mi. BP/G swapped
    '90LX 68k mi. wrecked 12/14 RIP
    '90 F250 4X4 108K mi.
    '13 Kia Rio 5 LX 70k mi.
    '18 Kia Soul 40k mi. Daily
    '64 Studebaker Gran Turismo Hawk
    '66 International Harvester pickup

Comment

Originally posted by David88 View Post
      If that really is the case; damn!

Comment

Re: Mazda/KIA/Ford B3 valve covers

Originally posted by Bert View Post
        If that really is the case; damn!
        An easy fake: Remove the valve cover, take a trip to a JY, grab a Mazda emblem, gorilla glue it to the valve cover, and paint it all in aluminum paint.
        In love with a MadScientist!:thumbright:
        There's a fine line between breathtaking ingenuity and "That's the stupidest thing I've ever seen!"

Comment

Mazda/KIA/Ford B3 valve covers

Or do an engine swap

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
          1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
          2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

D1 wrote:

"An easy fake: Remove the valve cover, take a trip to a JY, grab a Mazda emblem, gorilla glue it to the valve cover, and paint it all in aluminum paint."

Ha! I was thinking something like that. Make it any brand you want! Maybe even "John Deere!"

Karl
            '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
            '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
            '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
            '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
            '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

Just replace the stock plastic Festiva oil filler cap with a Mazdaspeed oil filler cap.
              Last edited by bravekozak; 11-29-2012, 03:04 PM.

Comment

E-test criteria for vehicles with non-OEM engines are less stringent in Ontario, Canada, as I understand it. I'm thinking a good ruse would be to bolt a Mazda or KIA script valve cover on my B3 and claim the engine was retrofit. Could you forum folks, that don't live in n America, please tell me or show me what Pride and/or 121 B3 valve covers look like, and if somebody has one they'd be willing to sell. Thanks.
                Our prides here doesn't have KIA script valve covers but the oil filler cap has it...

Originally posted by David88 View Post
                Probably to cut production costs...
                Godspeed...
                click here for FORD fESTiVA and KIA pride parts - JunSpeed Parts

our humble rides
                1965 Ford Mustang Coupe 200ci C4 AT (my 1st car, parked on a far island for restoration)
                93 LX B1 carb sedan (my first festy - SOLD )
                97 CD5 B3 carb (used to be my DD - SWAPPED)
                94 LX MAZDA Z5 EFI (gettting roadworthy)

Z200GS 200cc bike (SOLD)
                95 Lancer Mirage GLXi (wifee's ride - SOLD)
                97 Lancer Mirage GL carbed 1.5 (Garaged)
                Kymco K-Pipe 125cc (Garaged)
                97 Proton Lancer carbed 1.5 (son's DD)
                2015 Spacestar Mirage 1.2 CVT (my DD)

Comment

Originally posted by Damkid View Post
                  Or do an engine swap
                  This is the right answer.

Comment

Lots of 'tongue in cheek', and some of it worthy, advice here. The perfect B8 (for me), that I have been lusting over recently, is shortly headed for the 'smelter in the sky' only because I'm too old, tired and lazy to devote hours and hours playing in the cold and snow with hand tools-only praying to get a few bolts loose (front hub axle nut, especially). They (JY) won't allow the car out of the yard and I'm not allowed to bring torches and other labour-saving devices in. Capitalism and free enterprise is long overdue over in this direction, if only to help me out.
                    Thanks lads. Somehow I don't see a gorilla-glued Skoda, Llada or Mazda emblem on the valve cover doing much useful for me. On the other hand if we're really gonna have fun does Rolls Royce, Ferrari, Bugatti or MacLaren offer solids that would nicely attach to a SOHC aluminum B3 cover?

Comment

Lots of 'tongue in cheek', and some of it worthy, advice here. The perfect B8 (for me), that I have been lusting over recently, is shortly headed for the 'smelter in the sky' only because I'm too old, tired and lazy to devote hours and hours playing in the cold and snow with hand tools-only praying to get a few bolts loose (front hub axle nut, especially). They (JY) won't allow the car out of the yard and I'm not allowed to bring torches and other labour-saving devices in. Capitalism and free enterprise is long overdue over in this direction, if only to help me out.
                      Thanks lads. Somehow I don't see a gorilla-glued Skoda, Llada or Mazda emblem on the valve cover doing much useful for me. On the other hand if we're really gonna have fun does Rolls Royce, Ferrari, Bugatti or MacLaren offer solids that would nicely attach to a SOHC aluminum B3 cover?
                      +1
                      Check out my HID Conversion in progress!

Comment

It's like this:

D-UH-7.jpg

Manufactured by SAIPA.

Comment

Dude these engines have NOTHING compared to other engines , if you fail smog.

What, maybe change both O2 and call it a day , you wont have to do all that gibberish.

Or move to QC , none of that crap e-tests here.

Comment

Re: Mazda/KIA/Ford B3 valve covers

A 2nd gen B6 single cam valve cover should bolt right on. Don't confuse it with the b8 at the yards, they look the same, but are different lengths. Protege DX hatchbacks should have them IIRC. They're few and far between around here.

Then again if you find it, yank that engine!

Sent from the bathroom via crapatalk.
                            Last edited by link5186; 12-31-2012, 01:52 PM.
                            91 L 5sp "The Silver Bullet" B6, Brake/Susp Swapped Build Thread
                            92 L 5sp "Red" RIP
                            95 Grand Prix SE DD
                            Wife's Stuff:
                            89 L 5sp "Carby Car"
                            97 Aspire auto "Pink Panther"
                            Build Thread

Spring 2013 IndyStiva:
                            http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...eet-April-20th

Comment

Happy New Year to y'all.
                              Wikipedia "Mazda B-series engines" does show a B3 engine photo with a Mazda script valve cover, so I do know they exist. Why do I look for regulatory loop-holes? Only because I can and the fact that they exist. In Ontario, retrofit engines (Damkid and Bravekozack can confirm this) are appraised differently, and are much more lenient only because gov't knows there are so very few of them. Most folks (sheeple) could care less about their cars and promptly dump/trade them in the first 10 years. Some of us complete idiots, that try to keep oldies alive, are rewarded with gov't-mandated emission tests that presume there is a fresh Cat, tight engine, new plugs and points and all new sensors under the hood of a $500 car. The cutoff for spending to rectify a "fail" these days is substantial and likely the reason why there are so few 88-96 cars on the road. And what I hate is the nerve-wracking bi-annual anticipation and preparation for these events. My old truck (1986) is now exempt and it's such a joy not to have to do anything but drink coffee on my birthday, instead of run around paranoid of what's in store just to "buy" another 2 years of being left alone and still being able to drive that useful vehicle.

Comment

Working...
                              X