No announcement yet.

Building vs Swapping.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

avoiding the swap discussion, I ran a 1000w amp in my aspire for months before I tore the b3 out. The alternator never gave me any problems, my lights didn't dim on me, and it didn't kill the battery. Granted it was only a 480w rms amp pushing those 480w at a 2ohm load to a single 12" sub, but I didn't have a capacitor or anything special regulating power.
    2008 Kia Rio- new beater
    1987 F-150- revived and CLEAN!!!
    1987 Suzuki Dual Sport- fun beater bike
    1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD
    1997 Aspire- Peaspire, Refurb'd, sold
    1997 Aspire- Babyspire, DD
    1994 Aspire - Project Kiazord
    1994 Aspire- Crustyspire, RIP

"If it moves, grease it, if it don't, paint it, and if it ain't broke don't fix it!"

Comment

But see MENTAL: Matt has already said that his builds will be pretty reliable all around. Mentioned doing some extensive reliability tests.
      Fast....Women are fast
      Quick...Nestle is quick

I Speak French....in German! lol.

Comment

Originally posted by bhazard View Post
        Well matt dickmeyer already proved that wrong by dynoing 266whp with a boosted b3....very few of us are making that with boosted bp's. That's over 200hp per liter dude...
        Originally posted by FestYboy View Post
        ^ bingo
        Originally posted by gergorian View Post
        I second that
        I third that!
        Barbie Car - '90 L-plus_2nd Gen SOHC B6+rear turbo @ 8 psi
        Festycul - '9? 5spd_full roll cage, completely gutted, hydro g-series, B6T @ 15psi, rocketchip ecu,Willwood master cylinder, Mit. Galant VR-4 rotors, Hawk racing pads, capri knuckles, 323 LCA's, BrideLow Max seats, 5pt. harness, lexan windows, fuel cell, aluminum radiator, 323 coilovers
        Elvis - '93 L 5spd_B3+T build in progress
        WhiteGirl - '93 GL Immaculate shape, deciding what to build with it?

Comment

Building the B3 sounds impractical to me. Fun and challenging, but impractical. The same amount of time and money put into better base engine such as a B8 or BP. Start out at the point you would spend so much effort to reach with the B3.
          Going old school...

89L Carby FIDO, previously owned by FestivaFred

Comment

This thread failed at the first post IMO.
            Last edited by M3NTAL; 12-27-2012, 09:50 PM.
            -M3NTAL MARK! Woo!!

Comment

Originally posted by M3NTAL View Post
              Im sorry but I have to Respectfully disagree with that comment Brian. If you have the funds why build the b3? What are you building it for? Horsepower. Torque. 2 things that should never be used in the same sentence as b3.
              I think a done up b3 would be great for auto cross guys like me. I used a b3 and a b6t and I liked the b3 for auto cross more. In the end it's all on what u want to do with the festiva( type of racing )
              the heart beat of america stops here______________/\
              \/\_____________FORD
              FOREVER

Comment

The one thing I'm wondering about, just how much does that 266 hp b3 cost? How long will pulling over 4x the factory hp will this motor last?
                If that much money was spent modding a bp, what kind of hp would it have?
                Jerry
                Team Lightning

Owner of Team Lightning
                90 L "Peewee" B6D. Bought new May 16,1990
                92 L Thunder BP G5M-R Turbo B6T electronics. Jan 2016 FOTM winner SOLD
                93 L Lightning. BP

Not a user of drugs or alcohol, Just addicted to Festiva's

Comment

Originally posted by M3NTAL View Post
                  People dyno'ing big numbers doesn't mean crap brad.

266hp in a 1.3 is not going to last long. Not as long as it would in a BP
                  How do you know that? Do you have a PROPERLY built one? I like that it's moving towards "Which do you want to build?" vs. "Do you want power or economy?" with these cars. I imagine a "high" comp FI built B3 would be a very nice compromise, and tiny built engines are just cool. And that's all there is. There isn't any more.
                  Any difference that makes no difference is no difference.

Old Blue- New Tricks
                  91 Festiva FSM PDF - Dropbox

Comment

I think if we all had the "bigger is better" mentality we wouldn't own a Festiva! I love the idea of a built B3!
                    Even my SVO Mustang has the smallest engine put in a performance Mustang...the mighty 2.3 Turbo!!

Less is more.......
                    1986 Comp Prep SVO Mustang(1 of 83) Four cylinder turbo! (Think first Fox body "R" model!)
                    1995 F-150 Extra Cab and it was free!
                    1991 Festiva L, Surf Blue with A/C
                    1995 Jeep Cherokee 2wd 5 speed 4.0 and it was free!
                    1993 Aqua Festiva and it was cheap!
                    1994 Brake Swap and it was cheap!
                    1969 Ford F100 Big Block Ranger and it was free! (coming 2/12)

Comment

To each his own. It all depends on the person . . . their skill level, budget, time, desires. To say one is better than the other is futile at best because we all want different things and have different resources.

I had a huge amount of respect for the guys with BP swaps, turboed or not, B8 swaps, B6 swaps, whatever. I also have huge respect for what Matt is doing because few guys out there have the time, machinery, and skill level to do what he is doing as. As far as I am concerned I don't care what us under the hood of anyone's Festiva as long as they are happy with what they personally own.

Whether you have a build B3 or a swap the most important thing is that we blow the doors off of people that point and laugh at Festivas. It shouldn't be us against us, it should be us against the world!
                      88L - Awaiting bigger and better things
                      92L - Dead and needs love - was DD
                      91 - Shell with title
                      92GL - receiving B8 Swap and will be DD

Comment

Re: Building vs Swapping.

Originally posted by sketchman View Post
                        ...and tiny built engines are just cool. And that's all there is. There isn't any more.
                        In an earlier era when Formula 1 rules allowed only 1.5 litres with a turbo Ferrari had a 1.5l V-12 So yes, tiny built engines can make a lot of power.

Sent from somewhere west of here via Tapatalk!
                        Last edited by fastivaca; 12-28-2012, 03:20 PM.
                        Ian
                        Calgary AB, Canada
                        93 L B6T: June 2016 FOTM
                        59 Austin Healey "Bugeye" Sprite

"It's infinitely better to fail with courage than to sit idle with fear...." Chip Gaines (pg 167 of Capital Gaines, Smart Things I Learned Doing Stupid Stuff)

Link to the "Road Trip Starting Points" page of my Econobox Café blog

Comment

I love the idea of building a hot B3. My 89 4 speed is a blast even with it's anemic carburetor, and I thoroughly respect the people who put the time and money into these little engines, but I have to side with the swap camp here. There are also more options than a BP. The B6 16v miata engines are perfectly suited for the stock transmission and with a few Capri parts they fit in a festiva with very little effort. No custom mounts and very little wiring. I have bought entire 1.6 miata engines for the price of a used FMS cam. My next swap will be a simple N/A B6d running on a festiva ECU with different injectors. A Z5 or ZL swap would also be a good option on the stock E-series trans.
                          When push comes to shove the tranny and axles are going to make or brake your build. Any engine over 150hp is going to be very destructive to the E-series tranny, then you will also have tq steer issues caused by the unequal length ( and weak) stock axles. The only way to truly enjoy real power in these cars is to have a strong transmission and proper axles. Since that will require custom engine mounts anyway, why not bolt a better powerplant in the car.
                          The b3 wasn't intended to produce over 100hp from the factory, and it's internals scream that. The crank and block are extremely inferior to the 16v b6 parts and the BP/B8 engines make the B6 parts look flimsy. The BP has a forged crank and later models came with a girdle across the main caps. These engines were pushed to over 200hp in several factory applications and graced Mazdas own factory supported race cars for close to 2 decades. Seeing as you can get a BP for less than a set of quality pistons, this seems like a silly thing to even debate. Bang for buck is most definitely still the BP's forte. I would love to drive a well built B3, and I'm sure I'd fall in love, but I doubt I'd change my mind.
                          Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

Well said Charlie!
                            Jerry
                            Team Lightning

Owner of Team Lightning
                            90 L "Peewee" B6D. Bought new May 16,1990
                            92 L Thunder BP G5M-R Turbo B6T electronics. Jan 2016 FOTM winner SOLD
                            93 L Lightning. BP

Not a user of drugs or alcohol, Just addicted to Festiva's

Comment

Displacement > Everything
                              -M3NTAL MARK! Woo!!

Comment

I would get better mileage towing it to the track with my B3 !
                                We just need more parking for more Festiva's built for all the
                                stuff we can do with them!! I would love to stuff a V8 in there

Have a turbo one..and keep turning it up and replacing broken
                                stuff with better until I couldn't get tires good enough to hold it!

A VW diesel transplant..That one may be harder than a V8.
                                The V8 would have to use a 500hp snowmobile clutch
                                and a jack shaft between the CV shafts to fit. Kinda worried
                                about the stock radiator and brakes...
                                Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

Working...
                                X