X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Warnings Not to Use ‘E15’ Gas in Your Car | Fox Business Video

BE SURE TO LOOK AT THIS!!!!
    ... E-mail as received.

Listen to this and pass it on. E-15 gas is very harmful to all pre 2012 vehicles. AAA warns against using it.

Warnings Not to Use ‘E15’ Gas in Your Car | Fox Business Video

:gritteeth:
    A hunch is creativity trying to tell you something.

i've used e10 fuel on my car.. as long as it has some regular "unleaded" fuel mixed with it, you'll be fine.
    Ford Festiva 1991 WA Model (5 Door)
    Nicknamed the car 'The Chiva' (Chilli Festiva)

Avg Economy:
    Highway - 7.32L/100km
    City - yet to be determined.

Comment

Re: Warnings Not to Use ‘E15’ Gas in Your Car | Fox Business Video

Originally posted by jawbraeka View Post
      I've used e10 fuel on my car.. as long as it has some regular "unleaded" fuel mixed with it, you'll be fine.
      I know for a fact that E10 damages fuel system components. I have seen the results. I no longer buy ethanol-laced fuel. I have a special gesture for the government on that one... ...Where are my finger puppets?
      In love with a MadScientist!:thumbright:
      There's a fine line between breathtaking ingenuity and "That's the stupidest thing I've ever seen!"

Comment

Around here everything is laced with some ethanol, every gas station has posted signs of it saying "may contain up to (5 or 10%) ethanol" depending on where you stop. I've heard of e85, being 15% ethanol and 85% gas, but what is e10 and e15? Surely the gas wouldn't be that diluted, or is it?
        2008 Kia Rio- new beater
        1987 F-150- revived and CLEAN!!!
        1987 Suzuki Dual Sport- fun beater bike
        1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD
        1997 Aspire- Peaspire, Refurb'd, sold
        1997 Aspire- Babyspire, DD
        1994 Aspire - Project Kiazord
        1994 Aspire- Crustyspire, RIP

"If it moves, grease it, if it don't, paint it, and if it ain't broke don't fix it!"

Comment

Re: Warnings Not to Use ‘E15’ Gas in Your Car | Fox Business Video

E85 is 85% ethanol, 15% gas. 105 octane rating. E15 is the opposite. Consider it to be said like this: (E)thanol = (10)% : E10.
          In love with a MadScientist!:thumbright:
          There's a fine line between breathtaking ingenuity and "That's the stupidest thing I've ever seen!"

Comment

The major drawback of E fuels in older cars is the lower o2 content and it's detergent like properties. The lower o2 means you could run lean if the fuel system is mot able to compensate and the detergent properties break up old varnish left by petro based fuels and that can clog up the system As far as I am aware, all new Fords have flex fuel tech (up to E85) and I have been running E10 ( really E7 or so if you check it) for a couple of years with zero problems. I work in a Ford dealership and have heard nothing about E15 voiding anything. Looks like Faux News getting everyone rilled up to sell ad spots to me.

EDIT: I don't really keep up on ALL the new TSB's so I will need to do a bit of research about this at work in the morn.

I like the idea of organic fuel. Renewable, higher octane and if we can keep the red tape to a min, cheaper fuel FTW.
            Last edited by KingFish; 01-03-2013, 11:24 PM.
            Going old school...

89L Carby FIDO, previously owned by FestivaFred

Comment

Originally posted by KingFish View Post
              The major drawback of E fuels in older cars is the lower o2 content and it's detergent like properties. The lower o2 means you could run lean if the fuel system is mot able to compensate and the detergent properties break up old varnish left by petro based fuels and that can clog up the system As far as I am aware, all new Fords have flex fuel tech (up to E85) and I have been running E10 ( really E7 or so if you check it) for a couple of years with zero problems. I work in a Ford dealership and have heard nothing about E15 voiding anything. Looks like Faux News getting everyone rilled up to sell ad spots to me.

EDIT: I don't really keep up on ALL the new TSB's so I will need to do a bit of research about this at work in the morn.

I like the idea of organic fuel. Renewable, higher octane and if we can keep the red tape to a min, cheaper fuel FTW.
              If everyone is so paranoid about how it reacts, just run seafoam to clean the lines and make sure there's nothing there to screw up your system and then i recommend a 1/3 unleaded : 2/3 e10 ratio mix to ease any concerns.. i don't place any warranty on this method if you want to try it yourselves.. but i can say this, i do it myself and i haven't had any issues, however i did have issues when i filled with a full tank of e10 and before i seafoamed the engine. after i seafoamed the engine, i noticed that the problems "dissapeared" and haven't been back since. i will also add that, i won't say that the seafoam was the complete silver bullet as there may have been other underlying issues that i wasn't aware of (also i seafoamed for other "fuel related issues also", which is posted elsewhere (search for soap)), but since then everything has been fine.

i decided on the ratio so that it was still getting the benefits of the unleaded fuel for the motor and also the economical benefits of the e10..

I will do a full e10 run and see if there are any issues that come from this again.
              Ford Festiva 1991 WA Model (5 Door)
              Nicknamed the car 'The Chiva' (Chilli Festiva)

Avg Economy:
              Highway - 7.32L/100km
              City - yet to be determined.

Comment

We've had E10 since the OPEC oil embargo in the 1980's. We ran it in our '60s, '70s and '80s model cars and trucks for 30 years. I can't say I recall ever having an issue.
                Brian

93L - 5SP, FMS springs, 323 alloys, 1st gen B6, ported head & intake, FMS cam, ported exhaust manifold w/2-1/4" head pipe.
                04 Mustang GT, 5SP, CAI, TFS plenum, 70mm TB, catted X, Pypes 304SS cat-back, Hurst Billet+ shifter, SCT/Bama tuned....4.10's & cams coming soon
                62 Galaxie 2D sedan project- 428, 3x2V, 4SP, 3.89TLOC

1 wife, 2 kids, 9 dogs, 4 cats......
                Not enough time or money for any of them

Comment

I have seen some minor issues in my boat, which tends to sit much longer than my cars do. Such as fuel lines breaking down and such. My only real issue with the ethanol thing is that we are turning food products into fuel. There are subsidy concerns and a whole slew of other issues that arise in the ethanol debate. I don't know if it is a good or bad thing, just that it is an issue...

Just my 2cents..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Food_vs._fuel
                  2011 Kia Forte Koup
                  2007 Sea-Pro 196 CC with Mercury Verado 150hp
                  1993 Ford Bronco 351/E4OD
                  1988 Festiva L 4 speed

Comment

E10 is all we have here besides one station that's totally out of the way, and I don't think I've ever had issues from it, but IDK.
                    Any difference that makes no difference is no difference.

Old Blue- New Tricks
                    91 Festiva FSM PDF - Dropbox

Comment

Originally posted by KingFish View Post

The following is simply my opinion;

I have to disagree with the "only major drawback" statement.

The major drawback IMHO is, ethanol contains less BTU's per gallon than gasoline. I don't care about the octane rating as I'm not running 12 to 1 compression. I DO care about "bang for the buck" when addressing fuel mileage.

Heck, if I want cheap alternative fuel that is readily available I would do a propane conversion. Cheaper per gallon, burns cleaner, and an octane rating well over 100. Never mind the fact that it only has approx. 65% to 70% BTU's (energy) of gasoline.

Oh that's right, it's not the latest "feel good fuel" that has every politician acting as giddy as lil' school girls touts as the "silver bullet". My mistake.

As for "ending our dependence on foreign oil" crap. Yea, you could plant EVERY acre of plantable ground, including eveyone's yards to corn, and have MAYBE enough fuel to run the vehicles of the U.S. for 2 weeks. That is IF all of the harvest was converted to ethanol and released for sale at the same time.

Yup, yet another "we know what's best" from the EPA.

Pffftttt.......

Comment

lessersivad -

Agree with you 100%!
                        88L - 'Twistiva' - 'The Fusion of Man and Machine'
                        88LX - 'Laztiza' - Future Resurrection Project
                        91L - 'Mistiva' - My Daughter's DD
                        93L - 'Vextiva' - Airport Car

Comment

As seen from previous posts; do not mistake E85 for a product that you can fuel a Festy with. In "booze" terms E85 translates to 170 Proof! It is getting more and more difficult to avoid ethanol-blend gasoline unless you specifically seek out Premium grade gasoline. The label at the pump will usually tell you how much Ethanol is in the various grades. Folks that drive mechanical carburetor engines are best off with non-alcohol fuels unless the mixture screws have been specifically re-adjusted to account for that stuff.

Comment

My Flex warns not to use higher E ratings.

And my gripe is as lessers has said. Lower BTU. I know my cars get fewer miles per gallon with Ethanol.
                            Also the shelf life is much much shorter and it being hygroscopic.
                            And the cost to just make the stuff.

There is many reasons to not like it.

IMG_1848.jpg
                            Rodney

1991 FI 5 Speed Aqua Blue

Comment

Originally posted by rbrown View Post

[ATTACH=CONFIG]11182[/ATTACH]
                              That's really weird. I thought the whole point of a Flex Fuel was to be able to use E-whatever. But they specifically state "Gas/E10". Very weird. Maybe their quiet rebellion against the corn squeezers.
                              Any difference that makes no difference is no difference.

Old Blue- New Tricks
                              91 Festiva FSM PDF - Dropbox

Comment

Working...
                              X