Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Festiva Down!!!!

I broke my Festy today... :nightmare:

Friggin' snow storm hit us, I tried to get to work. The Festy was doing really good...then the highway backed up at a hilly area, and I managed to get on an exit ramp.

...but it was backed up too....

I managed to get around everyone that was stuck, going uphill no less. I had to give it pretty much gas pedal to keep it going. Was almost to the top of the hill when steam started blowing from under the hood. I looked down and the temp gage was alll the way up!

.....Ahh!

Pulled it over and it died just as I did! Restarted it, so at least it wasnt locked up.

Waited a while till it cooled down and made it to the top of the hill...where I was, wasnt a good place to be, so I got it out of danger, then, left it to get help. (I had accidentilly left my cell at home too!) Great!!!

I happened to be on a bus route! No tows available after using someone's cell to try, but the bus's were running! One came by. I took the bus~!
    Got home, finally found a tow truck that could get to me with in about an hour to an hour and a half, after calling 10-12 tow companies that couldnt get to me til the next day. So I took off to rescue the festy and meet the tow at the the car.

I got it home, safe and sound, hoping I didnt hurt the swapped B6, I spent all summer painting and installing!

I think the radiator blew it's wad. At least thats what I hope it is, and not something engine related!

What a day!!!!!!!banana time
    Last edited by drddan; 02-22-2013, 01:36 AM.
    Dan

Red 1988 Festiva L - CUJO

Black 1992 Festiva GL Sport - BLACK MAGIC

I'm just...a little slow... sometimes:withstupid:

R.I.P.
    Blue 1972 Chevelle SS-468 C.I.D. B'nM TH400-4:56 posi-Black racing stripes-Black vinyl top-Black int.
    Black on black 1976 Camaro LT-350 4 bolt main .060 over
    Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!
    http://www.reverbnation.com/main/sea...t_songs/266647

Sheesh!! Just one of you was lucky to get home!
    Where was the gauge during the best part of all the excitement?
    Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

I was a little disappointed my Festiva was in the shop so I couldn't try it out in the snow/sleet. Stuff like this though makes me glad I'll be carless all weekend.
      -Rafe-

Things I have for sale.
      Random Festiva Parts
      Festiva Non-Swoopy Power Drivers Mirror

Comment

Originally posted by Movin View Post
        Sheesh!! Just one of you was lucky to get home!
        Where was the gauge during the best part of all the excitement?
        Yeah, I was amazed I got us both home...and only a $100 tow fee too!

Gauge was pegged HOT when it blew the radiator and me revving it to get up the hill! I stopped as soon as I saw it that hot!
        Dan

R.I.P.
        Blue 1972 Chevelle SS-468 C.I.D. B'nM TH400-4:56 posi-Black racing stripes-Black vinyl top-Black int.
        Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!

Comment

That sux Dan. Either the rad, or maybe a closed thermostat?
          90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
          09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Snow plugged radiator?
            Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

Happened to me once and it turned out to he the Rad fan fuse. Easy fix but annoying process to figure it out
              -90 festiva - bp swap "relentless" (thanks matt) aspire swap, pacesetter, underdrive pulley
              -90 festiva - surf blue (undetermined destiny) wanna keep but wifey says noooooooo

Comment

Festiva Down!!!!

Sucks breaking your Festiva, it's happened to me many many times over lol

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
                1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
                2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

Originally posted by Movin View Post
                  Snow plugged radiator?
                  Knowing what the snow did to mine I'd say this! At least Dan your's will start. Mine might be dead for a couple weeks.
                  91 rusty Festiva 260k

Comment

I'm hoping for the best, Dan. I cringe when I hear of an aluminum head getting that hot. Best of luck to you.....but even if it was damaged, it can always be fixed! In fact, you might have a reason now to pull the head, port it and install a cam! Bwaahaahaa......
                    Brian

93L - 5SP, FMS springs, 323 alloys, 1st gen B6, ported head & intake, FMS cam, ported exhaust manifold w/2-1/4" head pipe.
                    04 Mustang GT, 5SP, CAI, TFS plenum, 70mm TB, catted X, Pypes 304SS cat-back, Hurst Billet+ shifter, SCT/Bama tuned....4.10's & cams coming soon
                    62 Galaxie 2D sedan project- 428, 3x2V, 4SP, 3.89TLOC

1 wife, 2 kids, 9 dogs, 4 cats......
                    Not enough time or money for any of them

Comment

Any diagnosis yet ?
                      sigpic
                      The Don - Midwest Festiva Inc., Missouri Chapter

Link to my festiva pictures below
                      https://fordfestiva.com/forums/album.php?albumid=10
                      Celebrating 25 years of festiva(s) ownership.

Comment

Originally posted by blkfordsedan View Post
                        I'm hoping for the best, Dan. I cringe when I hear of an aluminum head getting that hot. Best of luck to you.....but even if it was damaged, it can always be fixed! In fact, you might have a reason now to pull the head, port it and install a cam! Bwaahaahaa......
                        Now your just giving me ideas!!!

Originally posted by freshtiva View Post
                        Any diagnosis yet ?
                        Not really. I got out there today and battery was dead (Go figure..it is the same battery that was in the car when I bought it almost 5 yrs ago!)

Charged it, started it, and drove it the 10 ft into what will be the "Hillbilly Garage ll" :highly_amused:

So at least the engine "seems" ok. It went though a rough period yesterday, and so did I. I will be looking into it VERY soon, though.
                        After yesterday, and then shoveling snow today, I need some R&R! :coffee:
                        Last edited by drddan; 02-22-2013, 03:50 PM.
                        Dan

R.I.P.
                        Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!

Comment

Got the radiator pulled today. Its toast.
                          Leaks like swiss cheese.

New one on order from EvilBay. $56.80 delivered!

Pulling thermostat and housing to check them both out. New 2 stage t-stat, so it should be good, but........never know, new doesnt = good
                          I've had some small leakage around the t-stat area, after the swap, so I want to check that out anyway.
                          Dan

R.I.P.
                          Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!

Comment

Another update. I may have a head gasket leak.
                            I believe it was there before the overheat incident the other day. I have had a slow coolant leak since I put this B6 in. The leak looks like it is coming from the left side of the head, under the t-stat housing. Very slow leak, but a head pull is in order, and some machining to get it flat again.

I might be interested in a B6 head, if anyone who reads this, has one for sale.
                            Dan

R.I.P.
                            Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!

Comment

When you pull the head, put a machinists straight edge on the block to make sure the block is true. Lrt's hope the head's warped and not the block.
                              Last edited by bravekozak; 02-23-2013, 05:37 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X