No announcement yet.

Festiva Down!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dan, i just got done fixing a slow coolent leak from the t-stat housing on another members car. wound up being a 2 part issue: 1) had too much sealent a the t-stat recess, pushing it out and deforming the gasket seal, and 2) the lower bolt was bottoming out in the blind hole causing a lack of clamping force on the housing.

note: after breaking the Festy housing durring a t-stat replacement, he ordered a 323 housing and new hose. so there are options for housing replacement if you're willing to swap a hose...

just something to consider.
    Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
    94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Originally posted by bravekozak View Post
      When you pull the head, put a machinists straight edge on the block to make sure the block is true. Lrt's hope the head's warped and not the block.
      You might not believe this..... but...I have one of those! :thumbs_up:

Originally posted by FestYboy View Post
      Dan, i just got done fixing a slow coolent leak from the t-stat housing on another members car. wound up being a 2 part issue: 1) had too much sealent a the t-stat recess, pushing it out and deforming the gasket seal, and 2) the lower bolt was bottoming out in the blind hole causing a lack of clamping force on the housing.

note: after breaking the Festy housing durring a t-stat replacement, he ordered a 323 housing and new hose. so there are options for housing replacement if you're willing to swap a hose...

just something to consider.
      It isnt the housing. I thought it might be that too, before I looked closely at the area. Took the t-stat housing off to check it, it was sealed. I was very carefull about making sure the housing and stat were sitting properly when I put the new stat in.

It'll be fine...one way or the other. I have a new radiator on the way, and i'll see what happens when I put that in. If the leak is slow, and will it will let me, the head can wait til some warmer weather!!!!

Found a rebuilt B6 head on ebay for $200. Not a bad price!
      Last edited by drddan; 02-25-2013, 12:00 AM.
      Dan

Red 1988 Festiva L - CUJO

Black 1992 Festiva GL Sport - BLACK MAGIC

I'm just...a little slow... sometimes:withstupid:

R.I.P.
      Blue 1972 Chevelle SS-468 C.I.D. B'nM TH400-4:56 posi-Black racing stripes-Black vinyl top-Black int.
      Black on black 1976 Camaro LT-350 4 bolt main .060 over
      Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!
      http://www.reverbnation.com/main/sea...t_songs/266647

Comment

New radiator arrived thursday!

Nice looking rad for $56.80 delivered! Attempting a slow install today ccasion5:
        The shroud is dirty and a little rusty....and ya'all know how I hate rust! Not gonna paint it right now, buy I had to have it as spotless as I could get it!
        Its 30 degrees and I dont wanna be out there, but i'm s-l-o-w-l-y, kinda, puttin' it in. lol
        Last edited by drddan; 03-02-2013, 06:02 PM.
        Dan

R.I.P.
        Blue 1972 Chevelle SS-468 C.I.D. B'nM TH400-4:56 posi-Black racing stripes-Black vinyl top-Black int.
        Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!

Comment

Is it one of the aluminum ebay ones? I got one for my bp swap the other day, it's perdy lol.. I feel ya on the snow man I've been fighting it ALL day and most of yesterday..I just gave up a little bit ago, stuff is covered with 1/4" of snow in 3 minutes atm.
          2008 Kia Rio- new beater
          1987 F-150- revived and CLEAN!!!
          1987 Suzuki Dual Sport- fun beater bike
          1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD
          1997 Aspire- Peaspire, Refurb'd, sold
          1997 Aspire- Babyspire, DD
          1994 Aspire - Project Kiazord
          1994 Aspire- Crustyspire, RIP

"If it moves, grease it, if it don't, paint it, and if it ain't broke don't fix it!"

Comment

Yep, its pretty and from the bay. Seller called radiator classic.
            Its thicker than the orig rad from the festy. Has 90 degree trans line tubes, hookup for an auto trans. I removed the 90 degree tubes, as I wont be using them.
            Last edited by drddan; 03-02-2013, 06:41 PM.
            Dan

R.I.P.
            Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!

Comment

OKAY!!!! The Festy is back on the road again! nthego:

All back together and test drove it for about 15 miles, all seems okay so far.
              Engine smooth, no leaks, constant temp. Still wanna take a look at the head gasket when we get a warming period here.

Thanks for all your support and suggestions!!

I do have a question, though.

What is this thing 2 prong connnector on the orig rad? The new one didnt have it, and all seems to be working ok without it.

Last edited by drddan; 03-03-2013, 08:10 PM.
              Dan

R.I.P.
              Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!

Comment

^ i hope thats not your new one. dont think those prongs are for anything but i could be wrong.

shart! just saw that you said it was the origional :nightmare:
                Last edited by bobbyspider; 03-03-2013, 08:19 PM.
                -90 festiva - bp swap "relentless" (thanks matt) aspire swap, pacesetter, underdrive pulley
                -90 festiva - surf blue (undetermined destiny) wanna keep but wifey says noooooooo

Comment

Probably for the flux capacitor, if you put 1.21 gigawatts to it...yea nevermind

Hope that fixed your issues!
                  2008 Kia Rio- new beater
                  1987 F-150- revived and CLEAN!!!
                  1987 Suzuki Dual Sport- fun beater bike
                  1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD
                  1997 Aspire- Peaspire, Refurb'd, sold
                  1997 Aspire- Babyspire, DD
                  1994 Aspire - Project Kiazord
                  1994 Aspire- Crustyspire, RIP

"If it moves, grease it, if it don't, paint it, and if it ain't broke don't fix it!"

Comment

It's from a carbed I think. They had a different setup with the temp stuff. That's all I know.

Karl
                    '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
                    '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
                    '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
                    '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
                    '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

Yes, mine is an '88, and carbed.

I couldnt find anything on what that 2 prong connector does. Haynes no help at all, and never really seen it mentioned here on forum. I dont know what its called, so its hard to search for it! lol
                      Dan

R.I.P.
                      Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!

Comment

Wasn't that a fan switch for models not using a fan relay?
                        Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

I dunno...mine has a fan switch on the t-stat housing and that 2 prong connector on the radiator too.
                          Dan

R.I.P.
                          Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!

Comment

secondary input for the PCM.... used to regulate the carb, not the gauge or fan.
                            Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                            94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

^ what he said :tongue10:
                              -90 festiva - bp swap "relentless" (thanks matt) aspire swap, pacesetter, underdrive pulley
                              -90 festiva - surf blue (undetermined destiny) wanna keep but wifey says noooooooo

Comment

Wow. that's good news. You put a lot of work into the engine swap, glad it wasnt damaged.
                                sigpic
                                The Don - Midwest Festiva Inc., Missouri Chapter

Link to my festiva pictures below
                                https://fordfestiva.com/forums/album.php?albumid=10
                                Celebrating 25 years of festiva(s) ownership.

Comment

Working...
                                X