Japan spec festiva gtx details.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by drumnerd33 View Post
    Does this gtx have air shocks? What are the caps on the strut towers?
    The suspension was damping adjustable only. No air. They had a servo? on the top of the strut rod that turned up or down the damping level. I think it might have been rebound only. Not sure on that though. The servo? sticks up off the strut pretty far, thus the big cover.
    Any difference that makes no difference is no difference.

Old Blue- New Tricks
    91 Festiva FSM PDF - Dropbox

Comment

That's cool, didn't know they had adjustable damping... Yeah the 1.3 dohc was a shorter stroke of the b5 and b6, at least that's also what I read.

Sent from my LG-LS970 using Tapatalk 2

Comment

I believe the GTX/A's had some kind of setup to locate the MC on the left side but were still RHD

I'll dig up a thread with tons of GTA pics

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
        1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
        2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

Enjoy

http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...iva-GTA-and-SX!!

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

Wow... those cars brought a tear to my eye.
            Well, the cars, and the disappointment of seeing that they moved the booster to the left side of the car.

Thanks for posting that link Chris!!!
            That was the evidence that I was looking for.

Now excuse me while I go and headbutt a brick wall for a while.

I want AC..... snif....
            1988 MAZDA 121- B6T + G5MR SWAP IN PROGRESS.

Comment

moz, if I had won the GT-X shocks on eBay, I would have been in the same dilemma as you. No A/C. Maybe it's a good thing I didn't win after all.

Comment

Yeah.... I'm now determining my next move.
                This car won't be a dd so the lack of AC isn't THAT bad.
                But I really need to get the motor in that engine bay and see the extent of the intrusion.

Comment

my apologies moz. i didn't even notice the booster was on the left. was unaware the GTA had it there but the car pictured is the same one as shown in the old post. i talked to the guy in canada who was selling it a few yrs. ago and he was talking about turning one of his JP festivas into LHD. maybe he started with the GTA? but it doesn't look like that engine bay has had any major work done like switching the booster from one side to the other.

Comment

I've seen engine bay pics of a GTX as well and the booster got relocated in those as well

Comment

Has anybody ever come across an Mc that has a bend in it?

Comment

If I was able to stuff a V6 in the front of a festiva, I think a RHD DOHC swap with AC would be easy lol

Comment

Anything is possible Chris.
                          But its getting it done in a way to prevent the local authorities from making me jump through more hoops.

I'll give you an example (you're gonna laugh):

Car modifications that require an engineers certificate. (One certificate per mod).

-Extra holes in fire wall
                          -Plugged holed in fire wall
                          Brake upgrades
                          -Wheels and tyre combination that is more than 15mm different in diameter to the standard item.
                          -turbo install to a car no available with turbo from factory.
                          - engine swaps where new engine is 15% or more greater in displacement than largest standard engine.
                          - suspension upgrades (especially coil overs).
                          - pod filters (yep... that's not a typo. And they must be inside an air box).
                          - the list goes on and is very long.

There are ways around some of the certificates. But anything outside the norm (like stuffing a v6 in a festiva or fitting a remote brake booster and Mc arrangement will draw their attention).

If you don't get the engineers certificate and you happen to be pulled over by the cops, the fines start from $200 for each certificate that is missing. And you lose 3 points from your license for each fine. (We have 13 points on a full license so 5 fines = bye bye license).

Its all in the name of safety they say...

But the reality is that they want to keep older cars off the road so new cars keep getting sold and people stay in jobs.
                          And if new cars were the same price as the U S. We would all change cars every 3 years.
                          But we pay more than double what you guys do.

A good example.
                          The 2004-2006 Pontiac gto.
                          Made in australia.
                          The u s spec had 40 or 50 more HP. Better interior, better body, better seat belts, etc etc.

Sold in the us for approx $30k new

Sold in australia as the holden monaro cv8 for $75k (Aussie dollars. $1au =$1.05 us)

And retailers complain because we buy our stuff from the USA.

Sorry... got angry and side tracked... bad combination.

Comment

I've gone back to this link over 20 times and keep staring at the photos.
                            What an amazing piece of history for those of us interested in these cars.
                            I feel like jumping on the first plane to japan and not returning without one of each.
                            Last edited by moz; 04-10-2013, 04:26 AM.

Comment

I just got in contact with a Japanese buying agent.
                              He's going to check availability and price of a gtx and GTA.

Im pretty serious about this now... I want a gtx... NOW!!!

Comment

Originally posted by moz View Post
                                Car modifications that require an engineers certificate. (One certificate per mod).

-Extra holes in fire wall
                                -Plugged holed in fire wall
                                Brake upgrades
                                -Wheels and tyre combination that is more than 15mm different in diameter to the standard item.
                                -turbo install to a car no available with turbo from factory.
                                - engine swaps where new engine is 15% or more greater in displacement than largest standard engine.
                                - suspension upgrades (especially coil overs).
                                - pod filters (yep... that's not a typo. And they must be inside an air box).
                                - the list goes on and is very long.
                                That sure is a bad case of 'Big Brother' watching over you. I'm quite sure my car insurance company would be thrilled (ie in deciding to hike the policy premium) to learn there was a bigger engine and better suspension in a Festy. Aside from having to pass bi-annual smog tests and mechanical fitness tests (at point of sale) there is no gov't policy in Canada regarding performance modifications. Thankfully!
                                However; when was the last time a cop pulled you over to inspect for non-spec engine etc etc? And how would they even know what was OEM and what wasn't? I would think (providing you are discrete about this) that what gov't doesn't know won't hurt it. Just keep the loud pipes, engine decorations, dropped suspension and flashy wheels to a minimum.

I had a sprint-modified Cooper S 40 years ago and cheaply insured it as a Mini 1000 (S-types had sports car rates). Cops accidentally spotted me one day airborne at the top of a hill going 100mph (car could do that in 3rd gear!) but try as they might they could not establish how fast I was going nor that it was a non-OEM car. There was nothing wild-looking under the hood (exception of twin MGB 1 1/2" SU carbs that happened to be hidden away under an innocent-looking OEM-like air filter, and a tube header) and the quiet exhaust and muffler had been crafted from P/U truck parts. And for sure I wasn't going to let them test drive it, nor were there valve cover decals or anything suspicious that might have suggested it wasn't an ordinary motor. Cops, for one) are generally not knowledgeable about cars and engines and two) they usually have more important things to do, and 3) they are not in the business of collecting non-conformance information for insurance companies.

Comment

Working...
                                X