Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Full under body panel for 10% fuel efficiency gain. (about 20% aero drag reduction)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Full under body panel for 10% fuel efficiency gain. (about 20% aero drag reduction)

Front

Front underside

Drivers side under door

Rear

Materials used.
    1 1/2 pieces of coroplast ($17)
    1" tornilo screws (1box $4)
    1" diameter washer (on hand)
    20' of flooring metal ( had it on hand)
    10' of L shaped aluminum track (had it on hand)
    Card board used to pattern the form (leftover from a recent tub install)
    Utility knife (I use this for work so now cost to me here)
    Time spent= 8 hours
    Total money invested= $21.00
    My Fuel Log

See post #10 for my tips on fuel economy

Where did you find the large sheets of Coroplast?
    Automotive Misfit

Comment

Awesome! I've always wanted to do this
      Buck.
      -1993 Ford Festiva GL, ~200k, B6, Aspire rear, Rio front, 5-speed. '87 Prelude alloys. Happy to be back on the route!!!
      -1999 Toyota Sienna XLE, 346,000
      -1996 Chevrolet K1500 Z71, 350 V8, 198k, hauler

Comment

I hope you can figure out a way to keep good records so as to compare before and after. Great idea.
        You might chuckle about this but dimples on golf balls create a boundary air layer that allows for more efficient travel. I wonder if thoroughly working a Festy over with a ball peen hammer would make it more fuel efficient.

Comment

How close is that to touching your exhaust? Your not worried about it melting through are you?
          2008 Kia Rio- new beater
          1987 F-150- revived and CLEAN!!!
          1987 Suzuki Dual Sport- fun beater bike
          1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD
          1997 Aspire- Peaspire, Refurb'd, sold
          1997 Aspire- Babyspire, DD
          1994 Aspire - Project Kiazord
          1994 Aspire- Crustyspire, RIP

"If it moves, grease it, if it don't, paint it, and if it ain't broke don't fix it!"

Comment

i've thought about this also. not the full belly pan but judiciously placed small foils/covers over or in front of suspension components in the airstream. potential problems i'd think about with the full pan treatment: engine cooling. where does the air entering the radiator now exit? becoming airborn. the right speed, the low weight, the gust of wind. you've surely seen a news clip of a hydroplane boat flipping?

Comment

Nice. Yes, before and after numbers anxiously awaiting.
              Any difference that makes no difference is no difference.

Old Blue- New Tricks
              91 Festiva FSM PDF - Dropbox

Comment

My biggest concern (because I have so much rus- err - weight reduction) is that it would hold in excess moisture, thus leading to extra weight reduction.

I suppose if you triple-sprayed it before putting this belly on, it might not matter as much.

-Joe
                White '92 GL 5-speed BP, G series, Aspire/Rio swapped, "Nancy"
                White '89 LX 5-speed, Aspire swapped, Weber carb
                1988 LX 5-speed
                ​​​1993 L 5-speed B8, E series, Aspire/Rio swapped

Gone:

1986 Chevrolet Sprint 1990 L Plus Auto

Comment

There's no way this will work. The increased drag of the attached jackstands on the ground will more than compensate for the lower drag of the belly pan.
                  Last edited by TominMO; 06-02-2013, 03:28 PM.
                  90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
                  09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Hey hey! Don't 'jack (stand)' this thread!

-Joe
                    White '92 GL 5-speed BP, G series, Aspire/Rio swapped, "Nancy"
                    White '89 LX 5-speed, Aspire swapped, Weber carb
                    1988 LX 5-speed
                    ​​​1993 L 5-speed B8, E series, Aspire/Rio swapped

Gone:

1986 Chevrolet Sprint 1990 L Plus Auto

Comment

Originally posted by TominMO View Post
                      There's no way this will work. The increased drag of the attached jackstands on the ground will more than compensate for the lower drag of the belly pan.
                      Tom, you so FUNNY!!!
                      Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                      94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

this is exactly what i was talking about..might be better if it were shaped from the one piece of material, but excellent prototype none the less. just need a aerodynamic bodykit and you're set.

i had a few ideas about this in regards to the heating and airflow

wrap the exhaust in heat shield like what is done for exhaust header to reduce heat escaping, then have a "boxed channel" around the exhaust to allow for airflow down to the rear of the car where an "exit" is available to allow the airflow to suck the hot air out..

at the front of the car, have a narrow gap between the car and the undercar plate of maybe 2" and funnel the air into the formentioned channel to allow the airflow down the channel. also have an opening for the engine bay to allow air to be pulled through to the back of the car also, and two vents on the bonnet to allow air to be "sucked" into the bay and i think you guys can see where i'm going.

here is a picture to help you "plan and refine your design"

i'd also do a bit of research into the ferrari's and lamborghini's that use this design as a standard feature..

it'd be cool to see this implemented into the festiva.
                        Last edited by jawbraeka; 06-02-2013, 08:51 PM.
                        Ford Festiva 1991 WA Model (5 Door)
                        Nicknamed the car 'The Chiva' (Chilli Festiva)

Avg Economy:
                        Highway - 7.32L/100km
                        City - yet to be determined.

Comment

Originally posted by wflaw45 View Post
                          Where did you find the large sheets of Coroplast?
                          Order plastic sheet, rod, tube and film from Piedmont Plastics. Explore our extensive range of innovative products and expert services.

Originally posted by 200KGPGTP View Post
                          Awesome! I've always wanted to do this
                          you should.

Originally posted by Bert View Post
                          I hope you can figure out a way to keep good records so as to compare before and after. Great idea.
                          You might chuckle about this but dimples on golf balls create a boundary air layer that allows for more efficient travel. I wonder if thoroughly working a Festy over with a ball peen hammer would make it more fuel efficient.
                          I've kept records. It's impossible to to calculate with 100% certainty as I have done other mods in conjunction. This belly is a month old and has worked quite well thus far. My estimates for affectives (in the post title) are based on anecdotal observations and projections as well as other under belly pans on ecomodder.com.

Originally posted by zoom zoom View Post
                          How close is that to touching your exhaust? Your not worried about it melting through are you?
                          4 inches of white (not pink) fiberglass insulation has held up thus far. It is ever so slightly warped where the catalytic converter is, so I'm contemplating integrating a steel mesh insert 18''x12'' or so.

Originally posted by F3BZ View Post
                          i've thought about this also. not the full belly pan but judiciously placed small foils/covers over or in front of suspension components in the airstream. potential problems i'd think about with the full pan treatment: engine cooling. where does the air entering the radiator now exit? becoming airborn. the right speed, the low weight, the gust of wind. you've surely seen a news clip of a hydroplane boat flipping?
                          engine cooling hasn't been an issue even during long trips in 85+ weather thus far. the air entering the radiator still has plenty of places to exit (hood cowl, wheel wells, it's rigid but it's not tight to the oil pan either)

Originally posted by sketchman View Post
                          Nice. Yes, before and after numbers anxiously awaiting.
                          before all mods baseline mpg = 48.8mpg
                          since mods = 62.65 (including better driving although the baseline tank did include some hypermiling)

Originally posted by Spike View Post
                          My biggest concern (because I have so much rus- err - weight reduction) is that it would hold in excess moisture, thus leading to extra weight reduction.

I suppose if you triple-sprayed it before putting this belly on, it might not matter as much.

-Joe
                          I've taken this off a couple times after rain to check for moisture issues. So far so good.

Originally posted by TominMO View Post
                          Sometimes style is more important ^
                          My Fuel Log

Comment

Originally posted by jawbraeka View Post
                            this is exactly what i was talking about..might be better if it were shaped from the one piece of material, but excellent prototype none the less. just need a aerodynamic bodykit and you're set.
                            I like it in more than one piece for the sake of maintenance, but 2 pieces would be better than the 3 mine is. Fiberglass or carbon fiber or some sort of oem abs pan would be awesome. Unfortunately no one makes em, and I probably couldn't afford them if they did . And I would love a custom aero festy lol. Who wants to build me one?
                            My Fuel Log

Comment

Originally posted by jawbraeka View Post

i had a few ideas about this in regards to the heating and airflow

wrap the exhaust in heat shield like what is done for exhaust header to reduce heat escaping, then have a "boxed channel" around the exhaust to allow for airflow down to the rear of the car where an "exit" is available to allow the airflow to suck the hot air out..

at the front of the car, have a narrow gap between the car and the undercar plate of maybe 2" and funnel the air into the formentioned channel to allow the airflow down the channel. also have an opening for the engine bay to allow air to be pulled through to the back of the car also, and two vents on the bonnet to allow air to be "sucked" into the bay and i think you guys can see where i'm going.

here is a picture to help you "plan and refine your design"

i'd also do a bit of research into the ferrari's and lamborghini's that use this design as a standard feature..

it'd be cool to see this implemented into the festiva.
                              i'll look into it. It seems to be working well so far as is, but I will revisit this if I run into any problems this summer. Thanks for the pics, they could also aid in my boat tail design.
                              My Fuel Log

Comment

Working...
                              X