Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Full under body panel for 10% fuel efficiency gain. (about 20% aero drag reduction)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mikeyjd View Post
    i'll look into it. It seems to be working well so far as is, but I will revisit this if I run into any problems this summer. Thanks for the pics, they could also aid in my boat tail design.
    best thing to do , hit up a wrecker and get them to cut the ass out of a festiva, or if you have a spare, cut it yourself.

then from there, mould the bottom with a heat sensitive plastic that will "mould" but turn rigid, then from there design the underbelly yourself.. it wouldn't be hard and TBH if it does all that it says it will, you may be looking at a potential client for one of these in the future.

also, must be plug'n'play with current chassis so irregardless of what happens with bodykits, it won't interfere with the overall operation of new underbelly.

can't wait to see the next chapter of this and overall version upgrades of this impressive upgrade..

the other thing i was thinking, was if it were "track" tested, then you'd be able to get really impressive results on overall speed and time trail data as well as fuel efficiency results and so forth... but only if you wanted to carry the project that far.
    Last edited by jawbraeka; 06-02-2013, 09:21 PM.
    Ford Festiva 1991 WA Model (5 Door)
    Nicknamed the car 'The Chiva' (Chilli Festiva)

Avg Economy:
    Highway - 7.32L/100km
    City - yet to be determined.

Comment

Originally posted by jawbraeka View Post
      best thing to do , hit up a wrecker and get them to cut the ass out of a festiva, or if you have a spare, cut it yourself.

then from there, mould the bottom with a heat sensitive plastic that will "mould" but turn rigid, then from there design the underbelly yourself.. it wouldn't be hard and TBH if it does all that it says it will, you may be looking at a potential client for one of these in the future.

also, must be plug'n'play with current chassis so irregardless of what happens with bodykits, it won't interfere with the overall operation of new underbelly.

can't wait to see the next chapter of this and overall version upgrades of this impressive upgrade..

the other thing i was thinking, was if it were "track" tested, then you'd be able to get really impressive results on overall speed and time trail data as well as fuel efficiency results and so forth... but only if you wanted to carry the project that far.
      I hadn't thought of producing it for anyone else.. but it would be cool. The issue would come down to money, I think. It would improve aero on the track and help drastically with high end speeds. The issue would be coming up with the money to manufacture for such a small niche, and getting the niche to actually pony up like $300-400 (a wild guess) for something they don't need per say. It would be a fun project, but would likely be better suited for someone that already owned a tool&die shop or something of like nature.
      My Fuel Log

See post #10 for my tips on fuel economy

Comment

2 things:

1) NACA ducts.... 'nuff said

2) have you noticed a reduction in cabin noise since the inclusion of the full pan?
        Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
        94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Interesting ideas, hope it works out for you. Start a excel spreadsheet with data, I would be interested in your results
          Barbie Car - '90 L-plus_2nd Gen SOHC B6+rear turbo @ 8 psi
          Festycul - '9? 5spd_full roll cage, completely gutted, hydro g-series, B6T @ 15psi, rocketchip ecu,Willwood master cylinder, Mit. Galant VR-4 rotors, Hawk racing pads, capri knuckles, 323 LCA's, BrideLow Max seats, 5pt. harness, lexan windows, fuel cell, aluminum radiator, 323 coilovers
          Elvis - '93 L 5spd_B3+T build in progress
          WhiteGirl - '93 GL Immaculate shape, deciding what to build with it?

Comment

Originally posted by FestYboy View Post
            2 things:

2) have you noticed a reduction in cabin noise since the inclusion of the full pan?

i 2nd both these questions too..

if you do happen to get a prototype up and working properly, send us a template or design for the template and i'll get a local fabber to whip something up.. sounds very promising all the same.
            Ford Festiva 1991 WA Model (5 Door)
            Nicknamed the car 'The Chiva' (Chilli Festiva)

Avg Economy:
            Highway - 7.32L/100km
            City - yet to be determined.

Comment

2 things:

At John's suggestion, I blocked off most of my grill and all of my bumper openings, and put a small air dam under the bumper. The Festy definitely got quieter at hwy speeds. Working on this for my Aspire now too.
              90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
              09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Originally posted by TominMO View Post
                At John's suggestion, I blocked off most of my grill and all of my bumper openings, and put a small air dam under the bumper. The Festy definitely got quieter at hwy speeds. Working on this for my Aspire now too.
                Definitely way quieter at highway speeds. Ill look into naca ducts.
                My Fuel Log

Comment

I must have missed something..( not unusual for me ) In racing I understand the need for ducting air to prevent overheating, but for this project if heat is some where is it not the first priority to eliminate the lost energy creating the excess heat?
                  Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

2 things:

Pardon my density, Naca ducts to cool, the Cat?
                    Contact me for information about Festiva Madness!
                    Remember, FestYboy is inflatable , and Scitzz means crazy, YO!
                    "Like I'm going to suggest we do the job right." ~Fecomatter May 28 2016.

Comment

^^ Google it. Wikipedia.
                      90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
                      09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Originally posted by TominMO View Post
                        ^^ Google it. Wikipedia.
                        Well, I know that Naca ducts are used for cooling, and I thought usually for cooling brakes.
                        Contact me for information about Festiva Madness!
                        Remember, FestYboy is inflatable , and Scitzz means crazy, YO!
                        "Like I'm going to suggest we do the job right." ~Fecomatter May 28 2016.

Comment

Originally posted by Movin View Post
                          I must have missed something..( not unusual for me ) In racing I understand the need for ducting air to prevent overheating, but for this project if heat is some where is it not the first priority to eliminate the lost energy creating the excess heat?
                          For my purposes the flow reduction keeps the engine at nice operating temps as opposed to running cool. With standard air flow the engine doesn't stay at optimal operating temps with the way I drive.
                          My Fuel Log

Comment

The ideal condition for mileage from a combustion engine would be a cool exhaust
                            and no cooling system necessary.
                            Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

^Ol Smoke nearly did that.

Use the heat, don't throw it away.
                              Any difference that makes no difference is no difference.

Old Blue- New Tricks
                              91 Festiva FSM PDF - Dropbox

Comment

nearly!?! no, man, Smokey DID it, and to a homebrew turbo 2.5 Fiero (which still runs today) no less.... i'd have to pull an old hardrive to get you all the details, as i havn't seen them all from internet searches.
                                Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                                94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Working...
                                X