MPGs run, Aspire SE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MPGs run, Aspire SE

Today I went out and did a MPGs run in my Aspire SE. In my previous Aspire SE (sold to Arty), I got 48.25 MPG @ 60 MPH over an 85-mile hwy course. In this one, I went to Indy, about 250 miles away, and got 45 MPG @ 55 MPH.

So today I was testing out my simple and cheap aero mods. I closed off the hole in the bumper, and installed a 5" air dam under the front bumper. Both pieces were made of that expanded-aluminum gutter-guard stuff, covered with duct tape, painted an appropriate color, and held in place with zip ties & duct tape (bumper hole cover), and stainless steel fasteners and L-brackets (air dam).

The car: totally stock, 5-speed; 40 PSI in the tires; tools etc. in the trunk; 185/70x13 tires. 5W30 dino oil in the motor, 20W50 Valvoline synthetic motorcycle oil in the tranny. Also bear in mind that the Aspire has a lower final drive, 4.10 vs. the Festy's 3.78. This means the Aspire motor spins about 8% faster at a given cruising speed. RPM @ 60 was 2700. Also, Aspires are about 300 lbs heavier.

I jumped on the hwy and drove for 99.1 miles, keeping it pretty consistently at 60 MPH. Wind was basically nonexistent, and the temp was about 72. I went back to the same pump to carefully fill it to the brim again. It took 1.8 gallons before overflowing a little. This gave me a figure of 55.0 MPG.

My best MPG run @ 60 with my Festy, when it had the 1.3, was 52.1 MPG, even tho it has the taller final drive and is lighter. So aerodynamics are making the difference, despite the Aspire's greater weight.

Total parts cost: ~$10.

Next tests will involve side skirts (another $10) and super-tall tires, 165/80x15, on the front, to effectively raise the final drive a bit. I'll put 155/80x13s on the rear. This should just get me to 60 MPG.

Edit: it's quieter in there too. Didn't have to turn the radio up as much as before.
    Last edited by TominMO; 06-04-2013, 02:48 PM.
    90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
    09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

if your going for mpg's why don't you use 175's?
    2008 Kia Rio- new beater
    1987 F-150- revived and CLEAN!!!
    1987 Suzuki Dual Sport- fun beater bike
    1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD
    1997 Aspire- Peaspire, Refurb'd, sold
    1997 Aspire- Babyspire, DD
    1994 Aspire - Project Kiazord
    1994 Aspire- Crustyspire, RIP

"If it moves, grease it, if it don't, paint it, and if it ain't broke don't fix it!"

Comment

Originally posted by zoom zoom View Post
      if your going for mpg's why don't you use 175's?
      165s are what are available. It's an old VW Beetle tire size.
      Last edited by TominMO; 06-04-2013, 04:17 PM.
      90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Thanks for doing the mpg run. It would be really awesome to see you hitting 60 in an aspire. It's very nice to see more people doing aero mods! I've been contemplating a front air damn, but thought that the increased frontal area might cancel itself out since I already have an under-panel. I will revisit this ^
        Last edited by mikeyjd; 06-04-2013, 05:21 PM.
        My Fuel Log

See post #10 for my tips on fuel economy

Comment

Originally posted by mikeyjd View Post
          Thanks for doing the mpg run. It would be really awesome to see you hitting 60 in an aspire. It's very nice to see more people doing aero mods! I've been contemplating a front air damn, but thought that the increased frontal area might cancel itself out since I already have an under-panel. I will revisit this ^
          Both are effective in different ways, an air dam or an underbelly pan. Less air or slipperier path.

Personally I think a front air dam with side skirts will give the best results. If you add that to your car, you would get even better results. What I think would happen, tho, is that the belly pan would be less effective due to less air going under the car with the dam/skirts; but still it would help by cleaning up the airflow still coming under the car. Best-of-both-worlds kinda thang.

Edit: after my next 60 MPH run with skirts and taller tires, I will do a run at 55 just for bragging rights. Fully modded with dam, skirts and tires @ 55 MPH , I would expect to see 65 MPG. Also I would like to experiment a bit with pulse-and-glide.
          Last edited by TominMO; 06-04-2013, 05:50 PM.

Disaster preparedness

Comment

running both pan and dam will net you less frontal lift (a good thing for high speed stability) and if you reduce the amount of air needing to be processed by the pan, the rear disturbances will also deminish.
            Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
            94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Originally posted by TominMO View Post
              Both are effective in different ways, an air dam or an underbelly pan. Less air or slipperier path.

Personally I think a front air dam with side skirts will give the best results. If you add that to your car, you would get even better results. What I think would happen, tho, is that the belly pan would be less effective due to less air going under the car with the dam/skirts; but still it would help by cleaning up the airflow still coming under the car. Best-of-both-worlds kinda thang.

Edit: after my next 60 MPH run with skirts and taller tires, I will do a run at 55 just for bragging rights. Fully modded with dam, skirts and tires @ 55 MPH , I would expect to see 65 MPG. Also I would like to experiment a bit with pulse-and-glide.
              Pulse and glide ftw! you might be able to crank out 70+mpg with 65-45mph coast downs (or more with 60-40 lol) I am gonna do some more research about the air damn (since they're cheap and easy) and I have my rear wheel coroplast skirts already cut out, I just need to remake my brackets (i dont want to drill into the metal so i'm using some diy attachment brackets like this)

Last edited by mikeyjd; 06-04-2013, 06:41 PM.
              My Fuel Log

Comment

Can't see the pics for some reason. I was thinking about what to do for side skirt attachment, and rear wheel skirts too.

Disaster preparedness

Comment

Nice, I assume you are keeping techniques out of the equation to quantify mods only?
                  Your RPM's sure are high, the taller tires will help. How would you rate your engine condition?
                  How old and what brand is your O2? Sorry for the questions but when you are playing on the cutting edge of what is possible I hope you expect them! Awesome!
                  Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

Originally posted by Movin View Post
                    1. Nice, I assume you are keeping techniques out of the equation to quantify mods only?
                    2. Your RPM's sure are high, the taller tires will help. How would you rate your engine condition?
                    3. How old and what brand is your O2? Sorry for the questions but when you are playing on the cutting edge of what is possible I hope you expect them! Awesome!
                    Thanx.

1. Correct, I am deliberately avoiding hypermiling techniques so as to not cloud the results.
                    2. Engine is in excellent condition. I will have Matt D. balance my injectors.
                    3. Nippondenso owe too sensor, about a year old.

Disaster preparedness

Comment

I looked into the air dam + belly pan, and apparently it's more of a one or the other thing on cars as low as ours. If you have a belly pan then the dam is just going to add to your frontal area without improving your coefficient drag. The dam by itself should be beneficial as well as a belly pan by itself. If it were on a truck then there would be some benefit to having both.
                      My Fuel Log

Comment

Originally posted by mikeyjd View Post
                        I looked into the air dam + belly pan, and apparently it's more of a one or the other thing on cars as low as ours. If you have a belly pan then the dam is just going to add to your frontal area without improving your coefficient drag. The dam by itself should be beneficial as well as a belly pan by itself. If it were on a truck then there would be some benefit to having both.
                        Interesting. Earlier today I was wondering what racecars did. Driving on smooth tracks, they have very low air dams. Do they also have belly pans or is that even necessary? Because of their much higher speeds, I could imagine that there would be more advantage for them to have both, since higher speeds would mean higher pressure for what little air did get under the dam.

Today I built better dams for both the Aspire and my Festy. They wrap all the way around under the bumper. I will test the Festy one tmw probably. The Aspire one I will test next week, after I get side skirts on.
                        Last edited by TominMO; 06-05-2013, 09:09 PM.

Disaster preparedness

Comment

pix!!!
                          Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                          94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Originally posted by FestYboy View Post
                            pix!!!
                            Love to, but Photobucket isn't cooperating. Every time they change it, it gets harder to use. Can you suggest a better site to post pics to?

Disaster preparedness

Comment

Tom, I switched to Imageshack, after Photobucket gave me problems. There was a period where I couldnt post pics for more than a week with PB, and this happened right in the middle of my swap/ build thread. I switched over to Imageshack so I could post pics!!!

I havent had a single issue with Imageshack, and is easier to use than PB.
                              Last edited by drddan; 06-06-2013, 03:52 AM.
                              Dan

Red 1988 Festiva L - CUJO

Black 1992 Festiva GL Sport - BLACK MAGIC

I'm just...a little slow... sometimes:withstupid:

R.I.P.
                              Blue 1972 Chevelle SS-468 C.I.D. B'nM TH400-4:56 posi-Black racing stripes-Black vinyl top-Black int.
                              Black on black 1976 Camaro LT-350 4 bolt main .060 over
                              Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!
                              http://www.reverbnation.com/main/sea...t_songs/266647

Comment

Working...
                              X