No announcement yet.

MPGs run, Aspire SE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To answer both of you regarding engine efficiency at a given RPM, my best mileage in a Festy was 62.5 MPG @ 45 MPH. My engine speed was 1800 RPM in 5th, and of course at 45 there is little air resistance to contend with. But that's not to say that 1800 is max efficiency; more extensive testing would have to be done to determine that.

Concerning my fill technique, I noticed yesterday that the pump I was using placed the filler neck downhill, the way that gas station lot is laid out; so at any point I might have gotten an air pocket. From now on I will use a specific pump that puts the filler neck uphill from the rest of the tank. My 55 MPG figure might have been due to an air pocket when refilling at the end of the run.

I do find it hard to believe that rolling resistance would be that much of a factor here; especially going from a 185-wide to a 165. But there was a distinctive pull to the right, and I'm not sure what that means. Perhaps because the tire had such tall sidewalls it caused issues? Shouldn't have happened tho; I did have the tires inflated to 44, so the sidewalls should have been adequately stiff.

Taking it out on another run in about an hour, with the original 185/70x13s on front and yesterday's 155/80x13s on the rear.
    90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
    09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Originally posted by mikeyjd View Post
      so capri 14's would be an ideal swap if i wanted to use my current break setup without any kind of adapters?
      Yes, as long as you have Aspire Monroes on the rear, and don't go with too tall a tire; a 185/60x14 will fit fine with the Aspire rear struts. But if you are going for MPGs, I'd put good-quality 155/80x13s on the rear (both to clear Festy KYBs, which are much better than Monroes, and for lower rolling resistance), and perhaps a 185/70x14, or 185/65x14 on the front for a little extra height/lower revs. Any slight differences in sidewall height (and therefore flex) between front and rear can be addressed by adjusting tire pressure.

The Kumho Solus KR21 comes in all the sizes mentioned in this post BTW....
      One of the world's largest tire manufacturers with an innovative approach to product development, market expansion, technical progression, and environmental awareness.
      Last edited by TominMO; 06-09-2013, 06:11 AM.
      90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

59.7!

I think the difference was the lighter front tires/rims, 22 lbs vs. 33 (with adapters). Even tho the taller tires lowered the RPMs by about 10%, the negative of having a small motor push a rotating mass 50% heavier was too much to overcome.

This does seem to validate my earlier 55 MPG result. I think the side skirts, rear wheel arch skirts and skinnier rear tires gave me the extra 4.7 MPG. In other words, it seems to be mostly about a good front air dam.

My next test will involve 155/80x13 tires on the front, to see the effect of the smaller contact patch compared to my 185s. Probably next weekend. Then I want to do a test with the 155/13s all around but no side or rear wheel skirting.

Aspire SE mileage tests
        MPG.......Description
        45.........stock; 185/70x13 tires
        55.........small front air dam, same tires
        59.7.......larger air dam, side/rear wheel skirting, 155/80x13 on rear
        52.7.......same as above but with 165/80x15 front tires on steelies; 33 lbs
        Last edited by TominMO; 06-09-2013, 09:45 AM.

Disaster preparedness

Comment

:thumbup:
          Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

Originally posted by TominMO View Post
            59.7!

I think the difference was the lighter front tires/rims, 22 lbs vs. 33 (with adapters). Even tho the taller tires lowered the RPMs by about 10%, the negative of having a small motor push a rotating mass 50% heavier was too much to overcome.

This does seem to validate my earlier 55 MPG result. I think the side skirts, rear wheel arch skirts and skinnier rear tires gave me the extra 4.7 MPG. In other words, it seems to be mostly about a good front air dam.

My next test will involve 155/80x13 tires on the front, to see the effect of the smaller contact patch compared to my 185s. Probably next weekend. Then I want to do a test with the 155/13s all around but no side or rear wheel skirting.

Aspire SE mileage tests
            MPG.......Description
            59.7.......larger air dam, side/rear wheel skirting, 155/80x13 on rear
            52.7.......same as above but with 165/80x15 front tires on steelies; 33 lbs
            nicely done!
            My Fuel Log

See post #10 for my tips on fuel economy

Comment

Today I went out and put the 155/80x13 used snows on the front, stuck my new Winterforce 155/80x13s on the rear, added a little duct tape to the rear wheel arch skirt, and went for a run. Again disappointingly, I got 51.3 MPG. All I can attribute this to is either a fill error or the extreme wiggliness of the snow tires, giving much higher rolling resistance. Snow tires are a couple of pounds heavier too.

My next test will be with new Kumho Solus KR21s in 155/80x13, on my Aspire aluminum rims, probably over the weekend.

Aspire SE mileage tests
              MPG.......Description
              52.7.......larger air dam, side/rear wheel skirting, 165/80x15 front tires on steelies; 155/80x13 snows on rear
              59.7.......larger air dam, side/rear wheel skirting, 185/70x13s on front, 155/80x13 snows on rear

51.3.......larger air dam, side/rear wheel skirting, 155/80x13 snows all around
              Last edited by TominMO; 06-10-2013, 10:51 AM.

Disaster preparedness

Comment

Even with careful fill ups, I think larger sample sizes might be needed.
                My Fuel Log

Comment

Agreed. You can not get accurate mpg calculations from small fillups. You need to use at least half a tank.
                  91GL BP/F3A with boost
                  13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

Agreed as well. My next run will be 200-250 miles, starting early in the morning so I won't have to use A/C. As soon as I get the new tires on and a good-weather day.

Disaster preparedness

Comment

Depending on when you go, if you need another 200+ lbs to make the car lower and a GPS unit, I can go with you.
                      Or you can just take the GPS unit!
                      '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
                      '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
                      '92 Aqua parts Car
                      '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
                      '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
                      Your holy ghost will not save you.
                      Your God plutonium will not save you.
                      In fact...
                      ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

Car said 58.5 mpg when I got to work this morning. 38 mile drive...averaged 54 mph and followed a semi for a good part of it...however my car payment plus insurance is more than most of us paid for a festy :/
                        91GL BP/F3A with boost
                        13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

Originally posted by Pu241 View Post
                          Depending on when you go, if you need another 200+ lbs to make the car lower and a GPS unit, I can go with you.
                          Or you can just take the GPS unit!
                          Let's get together this weekend and you can teach me how to use the GPS. I'm thinking 4PM Sunday, the usual pizza-dispensing location?

BTW, several other mods I have made/will make, due to being PO'd at inconsistent results:
                          pass. mirror delete
                          windshield wiper delete (driver-side wiper in trunk, with wrench to re-attach)
                          blended front of SE spoiler with rear window (styrofoam/duct tape), so air only flows over it, not over and under
                          if I can find one of those panoramic inside mirrors, I will delete the driver-door mirror too
                          will connect rear underbody to rear bumper so air does not get up into the bumper (styrofoam/duct tape)
                          will wax and Rain-X car before test trip
                          will remove AC belt just before trip

If I can't hit 60 with all this, then I'll take what I get.
                          Last edited by TominMO; 06-11-2013, 11:30 AM.

Disaster preparedness

Comment

I love this thread.

Props on the R&D.
                            Any difference that makes no difference is no difference.

Old Blue- New Tricks
                            91 Festiva FSM PDF - Dropbox

Comment

Originally posted by TominMO View Post
                              Let's get together this weekend and you can teach me how to use the GPS. I'm thinking 4PM Sunday, the usual pizza-dispensing location?

BTW, several other mods I have made/will make, due to being PO'd at inconsistent results:
                              pass. mirror delete
                              windshield wiper delete (driver-side wiper in trunk, with wrench to re-attach)
                              blended front of SE spoiler with rear window (styrofoam/duct tape), so air only flows over it, not over and under
                              if I can find one of those panoramic inside mirrors, I will delete the driver-door mirror too
                              will connect rear underbody to rear bumper so air does not get up into the bumper (styrofoam/duct tape)
                              will wax and Rain-X car before test trip
                              will remove AC belt just before trip

If I can't hit 60 with all this, then I'll take what I get.
                              that's the most important part in my opinion. good list My last festy had both mirrors deleted with the small convex ones glued on inside ^
                              Last edited by mikeyjd; 06-11-2013, 06:46 PM.
                              My Fuel Log

Comment

In noticing that my mileage has been all over the place on the same 99.1-mile road course, 51.3 - 59.7 MPG, it occurred to me today that the more I improve aerodynamics, the more other factors come into play. When I was doing my MPG tests on my Festy, there were no aerodynamic changes made. It was all about different speeds, with basically stock aero except for the Festy rear spoiler. Now that I am playing with aero mods, other factors might be getting into the act, such as terrain; my ability (or not) to keep a constant speed; atmospheric factors like breezes, temp and barometric pressure even. Thoughts?
                                Last edited by TominMO; 06-11-2013, 08:38 PM.

Disaster preparedness

Comment

Working...
                                X