MPGs run, Aspire SE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Me too! It's here now.
    90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
    09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

• Minor glitch, will delay me a few days.....ordered eight new DNJ lifters from Rock Auto to replace mine.

Matt told me to use a vise to bleed down the valve lash adjusters (lifters). I planned to do that tmw, just before installing the new cam. So today I was fooling around with my JY spare Aspire head, the one the cam came out of for Matt to work on, and checked the lifters. Three had no oil in them at all, i.e. I could compress them with two fingers and there was only spring pressure; two were rock-hard, and would not compress with a large pliers; and three were in the middle (would compress with pliers). So I did some research on lifters, and from what I can figure out;
      the three easy ones are bad because they will not pump up to proper pressure, and open the valve enough--they should be tossed;
      the two hard ones will not give the valve enough slack, and should also be tossed;
      the three middle ones are working properly.

This JY head has about the same mileage as my Aspire's, ~160K. So I'm thinking I will discover a similar range of function with the ones currently in my Aspire's head. And if I mixed-and-matched lifters to get eight good ones (hopefully), there is no telling how long they are still good for. Accordingly, I ordered new lifters, and will keep the old ones as spares. I will try to clean them, free up the hard ones, fill 'em with oil, and see what happens. Maybe I can revive some.

BTW all B-series motors use the same lifters (except of course 88-89 Festys).
      90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

• Good to know. Do old f motors share them? I found a bag of new parts in a 626 at the junkyard and pocketed them. Or maybe they were viton seals grr
        1993 GL 5 speed

It's a MazdaFordnKia thing, and you will understand!

Comment

• The SOHC motors use the same HLA's, the DOHC's are different. There's a lot of other manufacturers that use the same HLA as the Mazda SOHC as well. There used to be a list on the site here somewhere.
          If a hammer doesn't fix it you have an electrical problem

WWZD
          Zulu Ministries

Comment

• I have a lifter that'll pump up, then collapse. Sometimes enough to tick, other times to actually miss fire. And then occasionally happen while driving, just enough to hear it through the intake, when wot it'll sound like a bullfrog.

So, I know it's an intake, been waiting for its random early morning collapse bad it'll misfire for 2-3 mins, then magically pump up. Before it does that kill ignition and check plugs. Been chasing it for 3 years. But 90% of the time it doesn't happen, so, I've been just letting it be until I know I can catch it red handed instead of replacing them all.

Sent from my rooted HTC Supersonic using Tapatalk 2 Pro

Comment

• Originally posted by Zanzer View Post
              The SOHC motors use the same HLA's, the DOHC's are different. There's a lot of other manufacturers that use the same HLA as the Mazda SOHC as well. There used to be a list on the site here somewhere.
              The Rock Auto list (when you click on Info for the part itself) didn't mention SOHC vs. DOHC, but that's good to know.

Disaster preparedness

Comment

• Originally posted by jason_ View Post
                I have a lifter that'll pump up, then collapse. Sometimes enough to tick, other times to actually miss fire. And then occasionally happen while driving, just enough to hear it through the intake, when wot it'll sound like a bullfrog.

So, I know it's an intake, been waiting for its random early morning collapse bad it'll misfire for 2-3 mins, then magically pump up. Before it does that kill ignition and check plugs. Been chasing it for 3 years. But 90% of the time it doesn't happen, so, I've been just letting it be until I know I can catch it red handed instead of replacing them all.

I decide to replace them all because I didn't want to have to go back in there later, and now will have known-good lifters. No point buying a cam if the lifters can't do their job. Plus now I have some spares if needed, for my B6.

Disaster preparedness

Comment

• Originally posted by TominMO View Post
                  I decide to replace them all because I didn't want to have to go back in there later, and now will have known-good lifters. No point buying a cam if the lifters can't do their job. Plus now I have some spares if needed, for my B6.
                  Everyone has their reasons.

I have an extra used set thsts unknown. When I did block and head swap I used previous set, didn't have to clean, and knew operational history.

I'd buy a new set, but that's gas money for like 2 months of work and back!

I'm tighter then skin on a grape when it comes to vehicles. I dump as little money into them as needed.
                  401k and savings I can live off of. Ha.

Anyways, I'm sub'd on this, waiting on data.

Comment

• Went out and started the process of swapping in the cam. Today's agenda was stripping it down. I pulled everything but the cam and rocker arms, that just takes a couple of minutes. I am not gonna wait for the new HLAs; I have six from my JY head, and the ones in the Aspire are not ticking, so what the heck. I'll have it back together on Thursday.

In the process I discovered how rusty the metal battery support (under the plastic tray the battery sits in) was, so now I have to deal with that, i.e. wait for paint to dry. Sanded and primed it today, topcoat tmw, stick it in the car on Thursday. I'll have it all done for a test run on Friday, John willing.
                    Last edited by TominMO; 09-03-2013, 06:46 PM.

Disaster preparedness

Comment

Went out and started the process of swapping in the cam. Today's agenda was stripping it down. I pulled everything but the cam and rocker arms, that just takes a couple of minutes. I am not gonna wait for the new HLAs; I have six from my JY head, and the ones in the Aspire are not ticking, so what the heck. I'll have it back together on Thursday.

In the process I discovered how rusty the metal battery support (under the plastic tray the battery sits in) was, so now I have to deal with that, i.e. wait for paint to dry. Sanded and primed it today, topcoat tmw, stick it in the car on Thursday. I'll have it all done for a test run on Friday, John willing.
                      "One thing leads to another..."
                      My Fuel Log

See post #10 for my tips on fuel economy

Comment

He is!

I will make it so!
                        '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
                        '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
                        '92 Aqua parts Car
                        '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
                        '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
                        Your holy ghost will not save you.
                        Your God plutonium will not save you.
                        In fact...
                        ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

• John made it so!

Got her all buttoned up yesterday, but had to wait for paint to dry on the battery holder thingy. Put that and the battery in today, fired it up; after the lifters had mostly quieted down I went for a drive. Timing is set at ~13 BTDC. Matt had expressed concern that I might lose a little power with this cam, hence the 13 degrees. According to the butt dyno, I haven't lost anything, she feels quite peppy. I'll drive around a little more today, pull the plugs to make sure everything's OK, then in the morning fill it up with 91 octane (because of the timing advance) and take it for an MPG run.

Disaster preparedness

Comment

• Happy to help!

Do you think you need 91 octane or would it be worth a shot using 89?

Probably best to baseline on 91 then see if possible that 89 is acceptable.
                            Last edited by Pu241; 09-05-2013, 05:38 PM.
                            '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
                            '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
                            '92 Aqua parts Car
                            '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
                            '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
                            Your holy ghost will not save you.
                            Your God plutonium will not save you.
                            In fact...
                            ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

• Originally posted by Pu241 View Post
                              Happy to help!

Do you think you need 91 octan or would it be worth a shot using 89?

Probably best to baseline on 91 then see if possible that 89 is acceptable.
                              With 13 degrees of timing I will try 91 first, then 89. Matt said I might even be able to use 87 with advanced timing, but we'll see.

Disaster preparedness

Comment

• Pulled a couple of plugs to see how things were going. I've put about ten miles on this setup. The plugs looked like they were burning the fuel very efficiently--very light tan, not even any grey on one. Possibly too lean? I might end up going back to 10 degrees, but will test tmw with 13.

Disaster preparedness

Comment

Working...
                                X