No announcement yet.

MPGs run, Aspire SE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think the service is more geared for power than mpgs.

Making sure each cylinder is filled with exactly the same fuel and air mixture.

Not to mention after you install the adjustable fuel pressure regulator and turn it up a few lbs.
    Your clean injectors will make a more atomized fuel spray as opposed to more of a squirt.

Balancing the forces created between each piston would help the engine run smoother.

The more balanced the forces the smoother the accelleration.

Less of one cylinder trying to compensate for the lack of energy created in the others.

That's just my opinion though.
    Last edited by rmoltis; 07-21-2013, 03:23 PM.
    Running 40psi.....in my tires.

http://aspire.b1.jcink.com/index.php?showtopic=611&st=0

Comment

• Here is some B3 Festy MPG testing data I extracted from an earlier post. These were short runs of about 86 miles, but you can see how consistent they are, with the only variable being vehicle speed (i.e. RPM and wind resistance factors). Stock B3 motor with 155/80x13 tires, and hatch spoiler.

....MPH......MPG
      A. 60.........52.1
      B. 55.........58.5
      C. 45.........62.5

When I put an larger airdam on the front of my B6 Festy, mileage went up from 41.9 to 45.0 @ 60 MPH, a 7% improvement.

A 7% improvement via the airdam @ 60 MPH with the B3/skinny tires should give about 55.7 MPG. At 55 MPH you could expect perhaps 62.6 MPG, or perhaps a little less due to less air pressure. At 45 MPH I would expect little or no improvement, as aerodynamic factors become less important.
      Last edited by TominMO; 07-21-2013, 03:38 PM.
      90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
      09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

• Originally posted by rmoltis View Post
        I think the service is more geared for power than mpgs.
        Having just made my own test, I have to agree. It's just that Matt had a customer report a 2-3 MPG improvement, which I was hoping for and would love to have seen--but didn't. If this customer is a board member, I hope he will do some actual rigorous testing and either confirm what he reported or disavow it, just so we have some valid input from him. But it's probably too late now, he has already altered the injectors, so we can't get a "before" test unless he installs some stock unimproved injectors.
        Last edited by TominMO; 07-21-2013, 03:45 PM.
        90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

• Gotch'ya
          Running 40psi.....in my tires.

http://aspire.b1.jcink.com/index.php?showtopic=611&st=0

Comment

• It seems that the only reason to see an increase from balanced injectors would be if there was something wrong with one of more of them. Obviously balancing them insures against problems there, but if you already had well balanced injectors you would have to expect no difference.
            My Fuel Log

See post #10 for my tips on fuel economy

Comment

• A reman injector is some new parts on a injector that will spray fuel with in manufacturers specs when done . Used injectors can fall anywhere. Matts injectors not only produce a finely atomized spray, they also pop at a very specific pressure and deliver matched volumes while doing so. Old stock can be close or horrible, its a crap shoot. To show a specific gain is impossible. To be as tight to specs as possible is what Matt delivers. Use his product for that purpose, not a specific gain.
              Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

• I wonder what would happen if you swapped in some low flow rate ev14 injectors, or something with better atomization charachteristics? You have an adjustable FPR, so surely you could use that to trim the fuel injection? You know that for a $7k car off the showroom floor nobody put a whole lot of thought into the best atomization of petrol.
                Last edited by zoom zoom; 07-22-2013, 05:21 AM.
                2008 Kia Rio- new beater
                1987 F-150- revived and CLEAN!!!
                1987 Suzuki Dual Sport- fun beater bike
                1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD
                1997 Aspire- Peaspire, Refurb'd, sold
                1997 Aspire- Babyspire, DD
                1994 Aspire - Project Kiazord
                1994 Aspire- Crustyspire, RIP

"If it moves, grease it, if it don't, paint it, and if it ain't broke don't fix it!"

Comment

• Originally posted by zoom zoom View Post
                  I wonder what would happen if you swapped in some low flow rate ev14 injectors, or something with better atomization charachteristics? You have an adjustable FPR, so surely you could use that to trim the fuel injection? You know that for a $7k car off the showroom floor nobody put a whole lot of thought into the best atomization of petrol.
                  Yeah, I'm wondering if dropping the fuel pressure to 32 will give better mileage, because of less fuel entering. Similar to putting a smaller main jet in a carb. This might be more feasible now that the injectors are going to output a clean spray pattern.
                  Last edited by TominMO; 07-22-2013, 07:41 AM.

Disaster preparedness

Comment

• Originally posted by TominMO View Post
                    Yeah, I'm wondering if dropping the fuel pressure to 32 will give better mileage, because of less fuel entering. Similar to putting a smaller main jet in a carb. This might be more feasible now that the injectors are going to output a clean spray pattern.
                    Don't get me wrong I don't think it was a waste of money just because you might not have seen results. I think "knowing" that your injectors are operating optimally is easily worth the price of getting them balanced. I'm betting the results will show up when the fpr is implemented
                    My Fuel Log

Comment

• Forcing the computer to bounce rich seems to help mileage as opposed to bouncing rich-lean or always trying to lean the mix. All of that happens inside of the computers all is okay window. If you get to where you will do some good, you will get an occasional check engine light. Spacing the o2 out a half inch or so will nudge the mixture leaner without the computer knowing about it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Movin View Post
                        Forcing the computer to bounce rich seems to help mileage as opposed to bouncing rich-lean or always trying to lean the mix. All of that happens inside of the computers all is okay window. If you get to where you will do some good, you will get an occasional check engine light. Spacing the o2 out a half inch or so will nudge the mixture leaner without the computer knowing about it.
                        can you post a picture or video on how you spaced your o2 sensor? I don't wouldn't want to ruin/hurt anything.
                        My Fuel Log

Comment

• use of a anti-fowl spacer (for spark plugs) is the common way to do this.
                          Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                          94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

• Originally posted by FestYboy View Post
                            use of a anti-fowl spacer (for spark plugs) is the common way to do this.
                            So all it takes in an anti-fowl adapter to space between the manifold and the sensor? Do you have a picture by chance? I just want to make sure I'm getting the right visual here
                            My Fuel Log

Comment

• Whatever you do just be careful, id hate to see a blown head gasket or worse on that nice little aspire of yours. If you just turn down the pressure the o2 sensor would see the air/fuel mixture is off and it might try to compensate by overworking the injectors? Too lean and it could do damage? Install a wideband! It's probably more about peak HP from the engine, being effeciet as possible....not wasting fuel!! My 2 pennies anyway.
                              2008 Kia Rio- new beater
                              1987 F-150- revived and CLEAN!!!
                              1987 Suzuki Dual Sport- fun beater bike
                              1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD
                              1997 Aspire- Peaspire, Refurb'd, sold
                              1997 Aspire- Babyspire, DD
                              1994 Aspire - Project Kiazord
                              1994 Aspire- Crustyspire, RIP

"If it moves, grease it, if it don't, paint it, and if it ain't broke don't fix it!"

Comment

• No worries, adjusting fuel pressure is far more extreme, this just helps keep the check engine light off and the computer working properly with a slightly leaner mixture.

The inside of the fowler will need to be drilled out for the o2 to fit. This exposes the tip to heavier gasses with less o2 .

Edit, note the part shown is for Berts old truck, 18mm
                                There are lots of smaller sizes. 18mm works.
                                Last edited by Movin; 07-22-2013, 10:46 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X