Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Proper Packaging Engine Internals for later.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Proper Packaging Engine Internals for later.

I just tore down a b3 bottom end I've had laying around for awhile, I salvaged the oil pump, rear main cover, all the nuts and bolts, crankshaft and oil pan, the block has a pretty good amount of crud in the cylinders but I don't think it's pitted...I'll probably scrap it anyway.

Literally, if I leave bare metal in my garage it gets surface rusted overnight. I think it's because the dryer outlet in the corner making it humid and moist.. I've done everything I can to keep it under control but there's really no good way to circumvent it.

So how do I package this stuff to keep it as fresh as it is today when I open it up 3-10 years from now? I was thinking about putting each part in a walmart bag, dropping it in the oil pan and wrapping the whole thing with a big black trash bag? Should I throw any newspaper in there? Maybe wrap everything with newspaper then bag it? I'm not gonna clean anything because it will strip the oil from the metal and that little bit of oil left on everything might be what keeps the rust off?

What do you guys do to avoid oxidation of parts you want to save? I know the best place is where it sits, still put together in the block, but water got down in the cylinders and sat...and sat...and the oil was pretty milky with plenty of sludge, so I wanted to get potential good parts pulled and packed away in the cabinet or attic.
    2008 Kia Rio- new beater
    1987 F-150- revived and CLEAN!!!
    1987 Suzuki Dual Sport- fun beater bike
    1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD
    1997 Aspire- Peaspire, Refurb'd, sold
    1997 Aspire- Babyspire, DD
    1994 Aspire - Project Kiazord
    1994 Aspire- Crustyspire, RIP

"If it moves, grease it, if it don't, paint it, and if it ain't broke don't fix it!"

Wipe parts with a heavy 25w oil, or STP. Maybe grease if moisture us that much of a battle. Then wrap in newspaper soaked in oil.

Ever notice how cylinder bore rusts, yet a bearing cap removed looks near new? Oil and clearances.... Give it thought.

Sent from my rooted HTC Supersonic using Tapatalk 2 Pro
    Last edited by jason_; 08-26-2013, 06:34 PM.

Comment

newspaper soaked in oil... nice. I'll give er a shot.. Probably drop that in a plastic bag inside a plastic bag, I want to keep the shop as clean as I can.
      2008 Kia Rio- new beater
      1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD

"If it moves, grease it, if it don't, paint it, and if it ain't broke don't fix it!"

Comment

Originally posted by zoom zoom View Post
        I want to keep the shop as clean as I can.
        Shop is not a kitchen. Good luck.

Sent from my rooted HTC Supersonic using Tapatalk 2 Pro

Comment

Put some thin oil in a spray bottle and spray it liberally and then put in plastic bag and hug the part with the bag, or find a vacuum sealer and seal the parts.

You could also put some dessicant in the bag or box when its sealed to keep the moisture down.
          Last edited by bomdoutscort; 08-26-2013, 07:44 PM.

Comment

Plastic won't help keep the water off. Only thing it will do is keep whatever you decide to coat the metal in from making a big mess.
            FLUID FILMŪ is Eureka’s own unique lanolin-based brand of corrosion preventive and lubricant, used worldwide in a multitude of industries and applications.

This is what most machine shops use. That said, WD40 is great too (it's precisely what the stuff was originally made for, getting water the hell out) though it's a little thin.

Or you could go absolutely nuts and keep them in a big bucket of WMO.

Comment

Haha..like the ideas so far, tonite I just wrapped everything up in plastic bags but where I work I can drop a newspaper down in about 100gallons of 40 weight...as long as I dig the newspaper out! so ill get it all wrapped up nice tomorrow. I wish I had a vacuum sealer but I don't, maybe some other year.
              2008 Kia Rio- new beater
              1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD

Comment

Vent dryer outside...
                1963 Fairlane - future NSS drag car
                1965 Mustang Coupe - A-code car, restoring for/with my son
                1973 F100 longbed - only 22k original miles, 360/auto, disk, PS/PB dealer in dash A/C
                1996 Sonoma X-cab - son's DD
                2002 Grand Prix - daughter's DD
                2003 Sport Trac - 180k, 130k on replaced motor with new timing chains - F/S soon.
                2005 Accord - wife's DD
                2008 Mountaineer - step daughter's DD
                2015 F150 SCrew - DD

Comment

Working...
                X