New car suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New car suggestions

I am looking for a new car but I am having problems finding a car that will do exactly what I need it to right now. Actually I found a couple that would fit the bill for the most part but they are pretty dull car, 95 Camry and an 03 hyundai elantra do for the most part. I always have the answers when it comes to car stuff but am pulling blanks this time.

I am wanting a car I can use for my daily driver, which means it should do:
    -30mpg or better on the highway (have considered less for a full size but I am a full time commuting college student so mpg is very important)
    -be comfortable for tall people (I am 6' 3" with a bad left knee that needs to be kept mostly straight)
    -be comfortable for adult passenger (2 passengers plus me driving)
    -should be either comfortable or fun to drive (where the Camry loses out)
    -needs to be reliable (I have been in mechanic shop since before I was born but can't afford to buy parts all the time) I had considered a 2nd gen neon (5speed) but reliability is hit and miss on them.
    -should be fairly safe

That isn't the difficult part I also need:
    -something that can haul 3 adults long distances in comfort (4-5hours)
    -be able to haul a small trailer (a harbor freight 4x8 )the same distance loaded with probably 1200lbs on average on the return haul. (Plan on adding brakes to it since it will be in the city so much)
    -also would like something under $3000-3500
    -prefer stick but would take the right auto.

Other than that I have no preferences I love everything from wagons to convertibles to segways.

Now the reason I need to haul so much it there will be trips a few times a year to Springfield to go to some junkyards and bass pro and general vacationing but I will most likely leave with a couple of motors each time (4cyl and v8 depending on needs, would like to haul 2 small blocks if need be. Dry weight of course.) plus maybe a door or hatch or widow or two or three. Along with about 70lbs of tools and 600lbs of people. We will go up empty and return loaded (car club parts run so lots of custom motor swaps and major projects). I know this is a tall order to fill but there has to be something that will work the elantra seems to do just about everything but its hard to get excited about it, the neon is little low on towing capacity (1500 with 5speed) and reliability is hit and miss, the focus would be ok but only is rated at 1k I believe, and the Camry is just anti car guy all around. As for getting a truck I have an 19 86 Ranger, 2000 Dakota, 1990 silverado 1500, 1996 ram 1500, 1986 chevy c30 crew cab but none of the, are efficient enough to drive long distances like I need.

Surely some of you have considered options like this any help is appreciated and not I am not crazy, I am a cel driver and know about towing safety (been way overloaded way more than I would like to admit, welcome to farming) so don't think I am just some novice trying to kill my self. I look forward to the creativity of your suggestions.
    Last edited by rockin86ranger; 08-31-2013, 09:49 PM.

Volkswagen Passat tdi 5 speed

slap some better injectors and nice turbo on and u will have plenty of pulling powa.
    I had a few vw jetta tdi and loved them.with bigger injectors and ecu chipped I was running 46mpg consistently with 263000 miles on and I sold it to neighbor and they still drive it
    Last edited by 1chrisapple; 08-31-2013, 10:31 PM.

Comment

We have an 08 Toyota corolla.
      its model years are 2003-2008
      It seems to do everything you want.

We drove from Seattle to Pittsburgh with a 5x8 trailer full to the brim.
      2000lb towing capacity. We were there plus a little.
      It did well with a tow hitch installed before the move.
      Got 25mpg pulling a trailer and full car with me and the fiancee and air conditioning running.

Not loaded we got 40mpg on the most recent 2500 round trip from Pittsburgh to Miami and back.

I'm 6'2" and there's plenty of room for me and four other passengers.
      And with the variable valve technology it gets %99 engine loading at wot at any rpm.

Awesome little all around car.
      Did I mention its an automatic?

I love manuals but this little auto does everything I want and some.
      I've been very impressed on long road trips.
      Last edited by rmoltis; 08-31-2013, 10:33 PM.
      Running 40psi.....in my tires.

http://aspire.b1.jcink.com/index.php?showtopic=611&st=0

Comment

I would love a passage tdi with a manual but they are rarer than hens teeth around here usually 6000+ for one in bad shape, a friend of mine has one and it would do everything I need and more if I could afford one. That being said I know a lot of vws in the 90s-2000s had quite a few electrical issues.

Comment

subaru.... impreza wagon sport.
          Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
          94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

I did consider a forester at a local lot with the 5speed (but they wouldn't give me a price because the lady has no idea what car is what on the lot) I have no real experience with subaru but the forester at least seemed to have some head gasket issues (50-70k mile replacement was very much the norm from my research)

Comment

your going to have to work on them some. I mean evey car has it problems and quirks.

Comment

Subaru's aren't especially known for great gas milage but aren't bad either. I used to get right around 30 mpg out of my 5 speed forester.
                91GL BP/F3A with boost
                13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

I don't mind working on them but for a car to need a major repair as often as a brake job is unexceptable. I am no stranger to beaters my daily driver is a 95 taurus with 235,xxx miles on it and I have owned several car with over 300,000. I really do like the subarus and would have gotten that one had it been reasonably priced but I get a little concerned when 15/17 review have done mode than 1 set of head gaskets in 100-130,000 miles.

I would honestly love the passat tdi wagon but unfortunately unless I find an amazing deal on one I won't be Abe to afford one for a long time. I was just stating that similar era vw products had some issues with wiring.
                  Last edited by rockin86ranger; 09-01-2013, 01:04 AM.

Comment

hard to beat the camry dull as it is.
                    Never Hire a Boy to do a Man's Job!!

Comment

Yeah I know I have been reconsidering the Camry, I think if a coupe or wagon (would take a sedan for the right price though)!in the right generation with a 5speed came along I would probably jump on it but I am on the hunt hoping for something I like better.

Seems like the imports are typically rated higher; probably since they are more of a world car than most domestics and are rated higher for Europe, most cars seem downgraded on the towing in america as opposed,to the same exact car in Europe, like 1000lbs difference for some.

Comment

my daughter has a subie but it only gets 20mpg. yeah a 5 speed camry wagn would be nice & they last forever. what about the taurus sho 5 speeds? sporty & fast but im not sure of the longevity of the yamaha engine
                        Last edited by kumalaba; 09-01-2013, 01:16 AM.
                        Never Hire a Boy to do a Man's Job!!

Comment

The sho v6s run forever. I never could find a rating for sho as far as towing though. I had a 90 sho but I ended up getting an offer I couldn't refuse before I ever got to drive it. They are getting very hard to find but I keep an eye out for them from time to time, only real issue is some of the Yamaha parts are getting hard to find and are expensive when you do. It would also have to be 5speed car no way would I try to tow with an automatic taurus (I just rebuilt the one in my beater a month ago and never want to do another one again)

Also dealer here has a focus wagon but its an auto, I might go look at it for the heck of it even though I hate fwd autos ( dad actually worked for the ford tech hotline doing a lot with the focus transmissions so I will have to get his opinion on it later). I think I could make a focus work for me if I had to (worse case scenario I use it as an excuse to finally lose that 60lbs)
                          Last edited by rockin86ranger; 09-01-2013, 02:08 AM.

Comment

1st gen Pontiac Vibe.
                            It's mechanically identical to the Toyota Matrix save for sheet metal, some plastic and a few random bits (the heater box and stereo for example are GM). But they were made in the same plant as the Tacoma and Corolla (NUMMI).
                            But being that it's got a red triangle on the grille it's subject to GM's depreciation rates and as such you can get some pretty smokin' deals on them.
                            Try to get an '03/04 because the 1ZZ wasn't quite as good when they went to Drive-by-Wire, and the front clip on the '05-'08 is ugly. If you go with a Vibe GT the 2ZZ always had cable throttle in the Matrix/Vibe/Corolla but it needs 91 octane or better and won't get the same mileage.
                            I have back problems myself and it's all kinds of comfortable. It's not a boring car by any means but it's not the absolute most fun you can have on 4 wheels. Handling is a little bit sloppy but I can make it dance better than my Festiva (mainly because I have a better feel for the wagon than my Festy). And the Vibe/Matrix dash/interior is a fair bit better looking than the drab grey thing they used in the Corolla. Shifter is in a better spot too.
                            Can't remember the tow rating exactly but it's either 1500 or 2000. And being a wagon it'll haul a lot more in the back than a car of its size probably should. I've hauled my toolbox (with all the tools) in it twice now, it takes the weight just fine.
                            Reliable like nobody's business. Wear items on my car are all OEM at 140000 km (except front brakes, I think they were done just before I bought it). I'm due for shocks, I had to put a blower in it and my clutch will need to be done sometime in the next 6-12 months and that's about it. Well that and body work since I've seemingly been making a habit out of getting hit by idiots.
                            It's about on par with a Festiva as far as serviceability goes, lots of room in the engine bay and everything else is easy to get at as well.
                            Highway EPA is just below 40MPG, I was able to hit that twice and I generally drive like Ricky Bobby.
                            Last edited by Tommychu; 09-01-2013, 11:57 AM.

Comment

I really liked the vibe when it came out and I also like the caliber they didn't seam to sell a lot here but will deffinately add to list of cars to search for

Comment

Working...
                              X