Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 1chrisapple View Post
    Volkswagen Passat tdi 5 speed

slap some better injectors and nice turbo on and u will have plenty of pulling powa.
    I had a few vw jetta tdi and loved them.with bigger injectors and ecu chipped I was running 46mpg consistently with 263000 miles on and I sold it to neighbor and they still drive it
    Did you ever check your mileage before you chipped it? After reading your 46 mpg statement, I went to read reviews for the TDI and found an article claiming 77.99 mpg.

With the miles I'm driving, I could buy one with the fuel savings alone. Do you know if anyone ever had a fuel gelling problem with them in the winter?
    You gonna race that thing?
    http://www.sdfcomputers.com/Festivaracing.htm

Comment

VW tdi whatever

Car #789
      Sponsors: Williams American Construction, Dewaynes Tire service, Roofing Supply Group
      1992 Festiva L - BP Swapped, Aspire Swapped, Rally America Sanctioned.
      1993 Festiva GL - 4sp Automatic and the bluest car i've ever seen...
      http://www.facebook.com/warally

Comment

Originally posted by Festy46 View Post
        Did you ever check your mileage before you chipped it? After reading your 46 mpg statement, I went to read reviews for the TDI and found an article claiming 77.99 mpg.

With the miles I'm driving, I could buy one with the fuel savings alone. Do you know if anyone ever had a fuel gelling problem with them in the winter?
        That particular TDI probably had a lot done to it to get that kind of mileage; not a stocker you can buy at the VW store.

EDIT: Here's an article on that Passat. Driver is a hypermiler, not surprising.
        Volkswagen has announced the company's Passat TDI has set a new world record for the category of "lowest fuel consumption-48 US states for a non-hybrid car." Drivers Wayne Gerdes and Bob Winger managed an impressive 77.99 miles per gallon over 8,122 miles, trouncing the previous record of 67.9 mpg. The duo also sailed past the hybri
        Last edited by TominMO; 09-02-2013, 09:47 AM.
        90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
        09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

ya some people did but it was only when they lived in really cold states.when I got mine I put new glow plugs in it and it started great no matter what or when.

here some cold starts off youtube

prius vs tdi

and one hopped up a little
          2000 Volkswagen Jetta TDI rolling some coal! .216 injector nozzles, evry mod, custom straight exhaust with all the deletes. NOTE: SMOKE FROM FRONT IS A SMALL...

mine would do this

my mileage before was right at the same. he's claiming 77 mpg but that's going 55 mph down interstate for 700 miles.i mean really who is gonna do that.around here its a good way to get killed u know when everyone else runs 70-85mph plus he would lowered the car and some aero mods and some even inject propane into it to it helps with diesel atomization.

I got into them pretty heavy for about 3yrs had like 7 of them

check this site out http://www.kermatdi.com/servlet/StoreFront
          Last edited by 1chrisapple; 09-02-2013, 10:06 AM.

Comment

Love my 2012 TDI. Just got a new best tank of 52.2 mpg last week I think...I dunno. Fill ups are pretty few and far between.

Plenty of power too.
            91GL BP/F3A with boost
            13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

they are pricey used they hold dam good value but new not really much more than any other new car lol

Comment

Originally posted by Festy46 View Post
                fuel gelling problem with them in the winter?
                Any gelling issues are strictly issues with the fuel itself, and the oil companies are actually pretty good at "phasing in" the winter diesel at the right time so that this doesn't happen. Shops like mine always know when they do it because we always get a stream of low engine power/poor fuel economy complaints in mid-late fall because winter diesel doesn't burn nearly as hot and all the truckers are used to the way their truck pulls on the high-paraffin summer fuel. The new common rail engines are pretty good at warming the fuel too (they recirc a lot of fuel and it spends a little more time next to the engine than it would in the case of an engine with an injection pump) so even if your fuel has gelled it's a fair bit easier to recover.
                Last edited by Tommychu; 09-02-2013, 11:25 AM.

Comment

I have actually written like 6 papers throu high school and college about why diesel is better than hybrids, I even convinced one of my professors away from a hybrid a couple semester ago. Really wish I could afford a small diesel.

Anybody have any experience with the 90s model vw diesels I found a passat sedan diesel in my price range but its got high miles and they are so uncommon I have neve dealt with anything besides the newer tdi.

FYI, I am a diesel junky if I had my way I would probably own all diesels

Comment

I had a 96 olds ciera wagon (same as buick century)

it got 29-30 hwy. and a solid 27 around town average.
                    3.1 v-6 auto w/od, seated 8 with rear seat. you can haul
                    1000 pounds in it (Idid gun shows with a lot of ammo) and
                    large roof rack and I pulled a 1500 pound 70's jayco pop-up
                    many times. I put hd self adjusting monroe's on it - worked great
                    under loads.

they only come with at. dependable and cheap to
                    work on since there were so many made. the weak spot
                    on those is the od trany. usually need a rebuild at 150 ish k miles.
                    the od went out on mine but ran great in drive. lost 1-2 mpgs on the hwy.

a 4 door ciera/century/celebrity will do the same except for the cargo capacity. it will seat
                    5 easy. large trunk, same 3.1 engine.
                    Last edited by loknlode; 09-02-2013, 11:35 PM.
                    admit nothing - deny everything - make accusations

Comment

We currently have a 96 ciera wagon, most uncomfortable car I have ever driven but it is reliable except we did have to put a trans in it and it needs a set of intake gaskets but that's very common on any gm fwd v6. I was actually going to buy it off my folks but glad I didn't because my knee gives me all sorts of trouble in it and I don't know why not like the seating is all that terrible but the angle is just perfect to lock my knee up.

Comment

[QUOTE=rockin86ranger;615302]

I have actually written like 6 papers throu high school and college about why diesel is better than hybrids, I even convinced one of my professors away from a hybrid a couple semester ago. Really wish I could afford a small diesel.

Anybody have any experience with the 90s model vw diesels I found a passat sedan diesel in my price range but its got high miles and they are so uncommon I have neve dealt with anything besides the newer tdi.

i had an 86 non turbo 1.6 was a slow terd but reliable and 45mpg. i had 3 96-98 there same 1.9 turbo diesel i absolutely loved these cars.night and day between the 86.but if its a early 90's the its a 1.9 or 1.9 turbo probably not a tdi but still good reliable car

Comment

If I had the time and know-how to swap a diesel into my accord I would do so in a heartbeat. My only issue with the car is that it bottoms out when loaded (read: 40 gallons of fuel, three very heavy frame rucksacks and five people) but even with that load I still managed over 38mpg.
                          1994 Honda Accord LX, 5spd

1992 Festy GL, 5spd (she be broken :/)

Comment

Originally posted by rockin86ranger View Post
                            We currently have a 96 ciera wagon, most uncomfortable car I have ever driven but it is reliable except we did have to put a trans in it and it needs a set of intake gaskets but that's very common on any gm fwd v6. I was actually going to buy it off my folks but glad I didn't because my knee gives me all sorts of trouble in it and I don't know why not like the seating is all that terrible but the angle is just perfect to lock my knee up.
                            lmk what you want for it - I'm coming through your way in the next week or so and may take it off your hands.
                            I've had 2 of those (89 & 96) and my daughter wants one (don't know why - guess cause she grew up with them)
                            I would have given her the 96 if I'd known she wanted one. she had another car (metro) at the time. I sold the 96 $1200. I'm 5'10" and it was a comfortable ride when I found the sweat spot on that 6 way power seat, lol.

whats the color combo on yours and does it have the third seat? serious - lmk what they want for it.
                            admit nothing - deny everything - make accusations

Comment

Focus ZX3?
                              -Rafe-

Things I have for sale.
                              Random Festiva Parts
                              Festiva Non-Swoopy Power Drivers Mirror

Comment

Really have considered a focus, just curious if anyone else has noticed it but the manuals always seem to have A LOT more legroom than the autos I have driven. My biggest issue is if I get a focus I really want a stick but they are dang near impossible to find, looked at about 8 all autos (few wagons and a sedan) there are couple of zx3s (really wouldn't mind a zx5, or wagon) but all autos. I just have a hard time trusting fwd autos but alway have good luck with the sticks.

As for selling the ciera I would in a heartbeat but mom is using for a daily driver right now, once I get out of school and get a decent car/truck for me I am going to replace it for her.

Comment

Working...
                                X