Front main seal question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front main seal question

How many of us replace the front main seal when replacing the timing belt and water pump? I was told by a mechanic that I shouldn't mess with it if it isn't leaking. I always thought it was cheap "insurance" to replace the front main seal while I had it tore down that far. I just wanted to see what everyone else is doing.

I don't unless it needs done.
    2008 Kia Rio- new beater
    1987 F-150- revived and CLEAN!!!
    1987 Suzuki Dual Sport- fun beater bike
    1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD
    1997 Aspire- Peaspire, Refurb'd, sold
    1997 Aspire- Babyspire, DD
    1994 Aspire - Project Kiazord
    1994 Aspire- Crustyspire, RIP

"If it moves, grease it, if it don't, paint it, and if it ain't broke don't fix it!"

Comment

I'll go ahead and put 2 cents in. If you have 40,000 on a seal why would you replace it? If you have 140,000 + age on a seal why would you not replace it? The harder it is to get to a part, the better it is to consider a replacement, especially a cheap part. Alternatively, wait until it's leaking and making a big mess, then you can redo all that work to get back at it. Maybe it goes bad at an inopportune time. If you can get to it and you have the skill and tools to put it in without damaging the surfaces or seal itself, then why not?
      When I'm good I'm very, very good and when I'm bad I'm HORRID.

Comment

I would change it if the car has any miles.u don't have to get the seal kit just the seal and pop it out with a screw driver or seal puller and begentle putting the other one in then u r done. I suggest change it

Comment

Oh, I know how to do it, I've done timing belt/water pump/front main seal at least 10 times - three times on the same festy until I figured out the crank snout was so wore it just wouldn't seal (325,000 miles). I was curious to see what everyone else was doing. tooldude - that is an awesome way to explain it - that is exactly how I look at it. I'll be changing the front main seal on #3 when I do the timing belt and water pump simply because I don't know how long it's been since it's been replaced and the car has 125,000 miles.

Comment

id do it not worth $15 to have to pull it down agian

Comment

Originally posted by 1chrisapple View Post
              id do it not worth $15 to have to pull it down agian
              I get $27 after 430pm on a 40hr week.

That $15 part is only worth it if I can do it again under 30mins. Otherwise go to work and pocket money.

Replace it.

Sent from my rooted HTC Supersonic using Tapatalk 2 Pro

Comment

Lol i meant it is worth it im dislexic and cant spell either

CHANGE THE SEAL

Comment

Regardless I was agreeing.

Sent from my rooted HTC Supersonic using Tapatalk 2 Pro

Comment

Working...
                  X