fuel milage mpg auto trans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fuel milage mpg auto trans

hi new to this forum. looking to buy a festiva as I'm commuting 135 miles a day. I actually learned to drive in a festiva so for an econo car I have a lil soft spot for the quirky lil car. I've searched here and only am getting a few results for mileage comparisons. and mostly I see only manual trans posting. Ive been driving manual for all my life except for a few months of my life, i'm looking into an auto for the terrible socal rush hour commute. but cant find much info on people posting their mpgs with autos. so if anyone can post up and results for mpg with an auto itd be helpful for my next purchase.

Wife's car gets 32-36 mainly in town driving, i.e. <45mph
    1963 Fairlane - future NSS drag car
    1965 Mustang Coupe - A-code car, restoring for/with my son
    1973 F100 longbed - only 22k original miles, 360/auto, disk, PS/PB dealer in dash A/C
    1996 Sonoma X-cab - son's DD
    2002 Grand Prix - daughter's DD
    2003 Sport Trac - 180k, 130k on replaced motor with new timing chains - F/S soon.
    2005 Accord - wife's DD
    2008 Mountaineer - step daughter's DD
    2015 F150 SCrew - DD

Comment

Get the 5 speed you will be glad you did in the long run.

Comment

yeah I probably will. just saw a <50k mile auto with a/c very clean. gonna hold out for a 5sp w/ a/c and fi. are the 5spds average about 40-45 with keeping 55-65mph?

Comment

At 55mph steady, 42-43MPG is very possible. At 65, it usually drops to about 37-40. Atleast for me.

As for my auto; I drive it very hard, and way too fast for a broken B3. I've gotten as high as 40.2 (211 miles on exactly 5 gallons of gas, empty to empty/seriously slow driving), but my average is about 29-32 at 65-75MPH. I've never gotten below 26, but that's just pure luck.

-Joe
          White '92 GL 5-speed BP, G series, Aspire/Rio swapped, "Nancy"
          White '89 LX 5-speed, Aspire swapped, Weber carb
          1988 LX 5-speed
          ​​​1993 L 5-speed B8, E series, Aspire/Rio swapped

Gone:

1986 Chevrolet Sprint 1990 L Plus Auto

Comment

At 55 steady with the 5-speed you can get into the mid to upper 50s, if the car is in good shape.
            90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
            09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

High 30s/ low 40s, 1.3 5sp. Odb1 aspire.

Recently got wild on compression ratio, mid 10, possibly 11;1, bored 20 over, now I'm easily making high 40s, low 50s. And i need to run 92/93 octane, totally worth the work, I'm still making gain with extra $2 fill ups.

Youll never make high mpgs with an auto, especially non overdrive and non locking t/c

Lacking 2 gears, , I think only aspires had locking tq converter? Parasitic pump from tq converter dog ears..etc etc.

It's a toss up. I've you've manually switched gears most your life why start driving autos now?

Everyone here knows a manual gearbox is near failsafe.

Don't start arguing clutch discs, they're not part of the engine or transmission....

Sent from my rooted HTC Supersonic using Tapatalk 2 Pro

Comment

Festy/Aspire autos are very durable too, but I agree that 5-speed is the way to go; more hassle on stop-and-go hwy commuting, but otherwise the far better choice.
                90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
                09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

I won't lie, I'm getting 28 average over the last year or so, occasionally on a trip ill see 32, highest was 34. It's an auto aspire that probably could use some new parts but its runs great so ill just drive it into the ground and fix it when it breaks, expect 28 if you like to do the speed limit on the highway.
                  2008 Kia Rio- new beater
                  1987 F-150- revived and CLEAN!!!
                  1987 Suzuki Dual Sport- fun beater bike
                  1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD
                  1997 Aspire- Peaspire, Refurb'd, sold
                  1997 Aspire- Babyspire, DD
                  1994 Aspire - Project Kiazord
                  1994 Aspire- Crustyspire, RIP

"If it moves, grease it, if it don't, paint it, and if it ain't broke don't fix it!"

Comment

we only get 91 octane in ca from reg stations. what is the stock cr for a stock engine (b3 right?) are you running lighter forged pistons or did you mill the head to get the raise in cr? was thinking what to do to get a lil more pep out of the stock engine. what do you use for engine management?

Comment

Tom, I am surprised you didnt link to your MPG thread!!!!!
                      Must be getting senile in your old age! :razz:
                      Dan

Red 1988 Festiva L - CUJO

Black 1992 Festiva GL Sport - BLACK MAGIC

I'm just...a little slow... sometimes:withstupid:

R.I.P.
                      Blue 1972 Chevelle SS-468 C.I.D. B'nM TH400-4:56 posi-Black racing stripes-Black vinyl top-Black int.
                      Black on black 1976 Camaro LT-350 4 bolt main .060 over
                      Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!
                      http://www.reverbnation.com/main/sea...t_songs/266647

Comment

Originally posted by bugster69 View Post
                        we only get 91 octane in ca from reg stations. what is the stock cr for a stock engine (b3 right?) are you running lighter forged pistons or did you mill the head to get the raise in cr? was thinking what to do to get a lil more pep out of the stock engine. what do you use for engine management?

9t aspire. Odbi

Factory head/cam and ecm.

Milled 048". Be warned, is a bit too much with 160* tstat and 92/93. I just verified today with 110 race fuel, zero problems, even at 200* water temps.

Expect spark knock of she sits and idles, as electric fan won't initiate until near boiling, which then obviously makes the lower tstat pointless... Something on my todo list. So to compensate, I don't leave it idling more then 5 mins, other wise the first mile or 2 of take off she sounds terrible with ping.

Factory is 9.7:1? 9:1? Someone double check on 1.3 roller cam head.

Cheapo Silva lights pistons, $18 each. Milling that much to take full potential needs an adjustable cam gear. Otherwise it'll be a fuzz retarded, and you can't move dizzy en9gh to make 10* advance unless you Dremel and hog aluminum so it'll rotate a fuzz more.

Haha. Good luck. I did it. What one man can do another can do.

Comment

thats pretty cool. seems like a lil bit too much for a daily commuter. maybe if needed i'll just clean up the heads and maybe go a lil over bore to get a lil more out of it.

Comment

I had another car I bought fixed and sold, but when I fixed it I went ahead and had the head shaved .02", and it made a very noticeable difference in low end performance...it's not fast, but its alot nicer if you gotta drive stop and go traffic alot and you don't need 100 yard head starts.
                            2008 Kia Rio- new beater
                            1987 F-150- revived and CLEAN!!!
                            1987 Suzuki Dual Sport- fun beater bike
                            1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD
                            1997 Aspire- Peaspire, Refurb'd, sold
                            1997 Aspire- Babyspire, DD
                            1994 Aspire - Project Kiazord
                            1994 Aspire- Crustyspire, RIP

"If it moves, grease it, if it don't, paint it, and if it ain't broke don't fix it!"

Comment

Originally posted by bugster69 View Post
                              thats pretty cool. seems like a lil bit too much for a daily commuter. maybe if needed i'll just clean up the heads and maybe go a lil over bore to get a lil more out of it.
                              I drive 60 miles daily. Hasn't had a problem yet. I lay blackies and bounce Rev limiter.

Past 4 months been 92/93. 110 was a pondering confirmation, not a requirement.

I know you can safely remove 035 and not have issues. 40 is the service limit. Sbi sells oops gaskets if you want to go back a few points.
                              Last edited by jason_; 09-16-2013, 04:13 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X