Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is the coolant level dropping ?
    Is the oil level dropping ?
    I have done stem seals with head on before , pull the cams and fill cyl full of nylon rope , roll eng till it locks and pull seals with over head spring compressor . Not bad really !
    New build on the way .

Comment

Well sounds like at least you tracked down the source of your white smoke, hopefully the valve stem seals will help the plug fouling.
      Oldest Festiva on the forum (so far) 3/87 LX - 225k
      89 Tracer 13" alloys and dome light. Pioneer stereo, all else is stock.

Comment

Got the cylinder head off just now. Looks like the head gasket may have had a minor breach between two cylinders, but it's hard to tell in this light/weather. Valve stem seals going in shortly once it gets above freezing again haha.
        1988 Chevy Sprint Turbo 997cc

Comment

I still have the spring compressor tool I built last year, if you have a rough time maybe I could lend it out?

1991 Mercury Capri XR2 "GTXR2" BPT Swapped AWD Conversion

Rocketchips!
          High Flow B3/B6/BP VAF Adapters for sale!
          Bolt-on Weber Carb Adapters!

Comment

Wow that's a real beauty! I bet the Miata guys would go crazy for one of those. Fortunately, I've got access to a couple of different valve spring compressors.

Comment

Just a quick question, when removing and Installing the camshafts, is it better to loosen each cam bracket bit by bit? I will presume yes as my idea is that if I don't, I could bend the cams... Just need confirmation .
              Last edited by jawbraeka; 12-05-2013, 06:23 PM.
              Ford Festiva 1991 WA Model (5 Door)
              Nicknamed the car 'The Chiva' (Chilli Festiva)

Avg Economy:
              Highway - 7.32L/100km
              City - yet to be determined.

Comment

So the head gasket, manifold gaskets, and valve stem seals are all buttoned up. Compression's pretty much the same as before, but a wee bit stronger across the board likely due to OCD valve lapping and tap and die work everywhere. She's still smoking though to some degree... just unbelievable. I'm told that my consistent compression numbers aren't low enough for the rings to cause this much smoke, but I'm beginning to wonder just how much more I'm going to have to spend to get this car running properly again. The only thing I have yet to replace or look at other than the rings (which aren't even all that bad) is the turbo, which I'm going to have a friend rebuild for me while I tackle the fuel injector seals, o-rings, and cleanliness. Here's hoping that will clear things up.

Comment

Working...
                X