No announcement yet.

change spline count on stock hubs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

^This has been done before with something else too. I just can't find it for the life of me. Something Chrysler IIRC.
    Any difference that makes no difference is no difference.

Old Blue- New Tricks
    91 Festiva FSM PDF - Dropbox

Comment

I'm not talking a new axle, I'm talking cutting and resplining an existing one. Granted, I'm new to the FWD modification world. If most shafts are bigger on the splined ends than in the middle, then it wouldn't work, but some of you have lathes and I imagine a divider to index with.
      1963 Fairlane - future NSS drag car
      1965 Mustang Coupe - A-code car, restoring for/with my son
      1973 F100 longbed - only 22k original miles, 360/auto, disk, PS/PB dealer in dash A/C
      1996 Sonoma X-cab - son's DD
      2002 Grand Prix - daughter's DD
      2003 Sport Trac - 180k, 130k on replaced motor with new timing chains - F/S soon.
      2005 Accord - wife's DD
      2008 Mountaineer - step daughter's DD
      2015 F150 SCrew - DD

Comment

Originally posted by shorestiva View Post
        One of the guys on club pro took the inner and outer halves of the axles he needed. Then had them sleeved and welded to make the axle he needed for his kl swap in his bf. IIRC it held up fine until he could afford to have a custom one made.
        If you're talking about DeeAone with his KL swap, the axle snapped twice and was a constant cause of vibration until he shelled out the $400 for one side
        1991 Mercury Capri XR2 "GTXR2" BPT Swapped AWD Conversion

Rocketchips!
        High Flow B3/B6/BP VAF Adapters for sale!
        Bolt-on Weber Carb Adapters!

Comment

Check this out.

I found a thread that says this method works. No heat treatment. No complication. Cut, weld, done.

From here.

Quick synopsis if you don't want the full read.

Cut axles at a 45 degree angle, line them up with some angle iron, and weld them together. That's it.
          Last edited by sketchman; 11-13-2013, 02:39 PM.
          Any difference that makes no difference is no difference.

Old Blue- New Tricks
          91 Festiva FSM PDF - Dropbox

Comment

Originally posted by sketchman View Post
            Check this out.

I found a thread that says this method works. No heat treatment. No complication. Cut, weld, done.

From here.

Quick synopsis if you don't want the full read.

Cut axles at a 45 degree angle, line them up with some angle iron, and weld them together. That's it.
            This method has some merit, I am tempted to try it on my own V6 project, it sure would move it along much more swiftly anyways. Makes perfect sense to me, though I still have some reserves if it would hold up to a beating.

The angle iron trick would be a little tricky with different diameter axles, but that can be overcome without too much work IMO

Rocketchips!

Comment

DeeAone's swap in my opinion is a bunch of un-necessary mix-matched parts, he swapped BG hubs to try and avoid getting custom axles, but ended up needing one anyway and now has two different bolt patterns.... When it could have all been solved by a diff swap ugh

Matt, I have a 26 spline open diff swapped KL trans in my garage (it's a spare lol)and a spare int shaft mounting plate if you're interested
              Last edited by Damkid; 11-13-2013, 05:51 PM.

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
              1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
              2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

Originally posted by Rocketman View Post
                If you're talking about DeeAone with his KL swap, the axle snapped twice and was a constant cause of vibration until he shelled out the $400 for one side
                Yeah thats who I was thinking of. I just skimmed the thread so I probably missed those parts.
                Better Than Nothing Racing

Way too many cars

:woc:

Comment

sorry guys you can disreguard this thread for me i just had a stupid idea and am not anywhere experienced enough to pull it off sorry. customaxles would be the way to go with what i was thinking but you know how it goes thanks anyway
                  -90 festiva - bp swap "relentless" (thanks matt) aspire swap, pacesetter, underdrive pulley
                  -90 festiva - surf blue (undetermined destiny) wanna keep but wifey says noooooooo

Comment

Originally posted by Damkid View Post
                    DeeAone's swap in my opinion is a bunch of un-necessary mix-matched parts, he swapped BG hubs to try and avoid getting custom axles, but ended up needing one anyway and now has two different bolt patterns.... When it could have all been solved by a diff swap ugh

Matt, I have a 26 spline open diff swapped KL trans in my garage (it's a spare lol)and a spare int shaft mounting plate if you're interested
                    I agree 1000% on this. He does have the BG bearings but at the cost of a wonky suspension setup, his camber & other geometries must be a mess to sort out. I may be interested in the swapped trans, but I'm probably going to try this method of welding axles first if it's supposed to work that well. I have a huge pile of axle cores to play with.

Originally posted by bobbyspider View Post
                    sorry guys you can disreguard this thread for me i just had a stupid idea and am not anywhere experienced enough to pull it off sorry. customaxles would be the way to go with what i was thinking but you know how it goes thanks anyway
                    No stupid ideas here, its good to toss this kind of stuff around. helps to think outside the box!

Rocketchips!

Comment

Originally posted by shorestiva View Post
                      Yeah thats who I was thinking of. I just skimmed the thread so I probably missed those parts.
                      Yep. It did start out looking like this, so...

Rocketchips!

Comment

Drivetrain shop might be able to help you?

Sent from the trash can.
                        1993 Festiva L "Wendy" BP n' stuff
                        2013 Mazdaspeed 3 "The Kraken" -Stock.

Dave Forget

Comment

also found www.thecvman.com from the thread Sketchman linked to

Rocketchips!

Comment

Working...
                          X