Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What tire shops let you buy tires without installation? (Besides Online shops)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You don't have to pay a disposal fee if you don't want. You can take tires with you and they can't charge you then. Them you are going to use them for garden. Amazon.com has 12 inch tires for 55.00 and free shipping. Start an account with them.
    Last edited by milehighbear; 01-31-2014, 09:49 PM.
    Thom-Lifes too short, don't blink
    93 Festiva (Little Red Truck)
    01 F-150 (Big Red Truck)

Comment

Originally posted by milehighbear View Post
      You don't have to pay a disposal fee if you don't want. You can take tires with you and they can't charge you then. Them you are going to use them for garden. Amazon.com has 12 inch tires for 55.00 and free shipping. Start an account with them.
      Not using 12" wheels

I am running 13" Metro wheels for now. But after I do a Rio/Aspire swap I was just going to swap the tires over to the 4x100 wheels i'll need for the swap.
      Last edited by TorqueEffect; 01-31-2014, 10:01 PM.
      1991 Ford Festiva BP (Full Aspire/Rio Swap) (337k Miles) (Around 95k Engine)
      2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport 2.2L DOHC Ecotec (Threw a Rod)
      1998 Chevy Monte Carlo LS 3.1 V6 (225k miles) Best MPG = 28

Comment

I've had the Kumho tires a couple times. Weren't the best, didn't last very long.
        -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Nancy- 1.8L BP, aspire swap, g-trans
        The Adventures of Nancy! Build Thread
        -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Musica! Click me!

Comment

The Kumhos I've bought seem to last about as long as any other 13" tire I've used. But that $58 price seems extremely steep. If you have a local discount tire, I'd pick them up from there rather than buy online. I pay $35 each for them. Same from Kauffman tire, but they are one of the ones who don't do cash and carry. I have an account there, since I have my own little tire shop, but for the average customer they won't let you carry them out. Has to do with their safety regulations, which they are perfectly entitled to have and enforce if they want to. As far as I know there is no law anywhere requiring tire stores to sell tires without installation if they don't want to.
          No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

I'll just go to Discount tire and get the GT Radial Champiro VP1s, they are $33 a piece.

Can't hurt to try them.
            1991 Ford Festiva BP (Full Aspire/Rio Swap) (337k Miles) (Around 95k Engine)
            2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport 2.2L DOHC Ecotec (Threw a Rod)
            1998 Chevy Monte Carlo LS 3.1 V6 (225k miles) Best MPG = 28

Comment

Originally posted by jawbraeka View Post
              Not really sure if this is relevant really, but maybe ask them with a Tina Turner demeanour and said "what does being a mail carrier got to do with it?"

sent from the depths of hell.
              Studs are no longer legal in Michigan, EXCEPT if you are a mail carrier, I'm asssuming rural carrier. I just heard this recently. I drove a 60's Mopar in the early 70's here with studded snow tires on the rear. They were legal then and unstoppable in UP snow!

Comment

Originally posted by johnmt View Post
                Studs are no longer legal in Michigan, EXCEPT if you are a mail carrier, I'm asssuming rural carrier. I just heard this recently. I drove a 60's Mopar in the early 70's here with studded snow tires on the rear. They were legal then and unstoppable in UP snow!
                Well you have been misinformed.

Quoted from the Michigan State Police website;

"Question: Are studded tires legal in Michigan ?
                Answer: In practical terms, no.

MCL 257.710 allows for the use of studded tires if they meet the specifications listed in subparts (c), (d), and (e). The part that specifically deals with studded tires is subpart (d) which states; "The department of state highways and transportation shall promulgate rules establishing acceptable standards to permit the use of a tire with studs or other traction devices to be used on a street or highway after April 1, 1975. The rules shall make separate provision for the extreme winter snow and ice conditions of the Upper Peninsula and the Northern Lower Peninsula. The rules shall include a restriction on the amount and dimension of protrusions that may be allowed on a tire, the type of material that may be used in a stud, traction device, or tire, and the amount of road wear that a tire with studs or other traction devices may cause on a street or highway."

Administrative Rules 247.171 through 247.175 govern studded tires and set the criteria for their use.
                These rules state two conditions that must be met for the use of studded tires. Note: to date no manufacturer of tire studs has supplied information to the Michigan Department of Transportation that their product meets or exceeds the required pavement wear specifications.
                First, they can only be used between November 15 and April 1 of the succeeding year except in the Upper Peninsula and the Northern Lower Peninsula , where, because of extreme winter snow and ice conditions, they may be used between October 1 and May 1of the succeeding year. Northern Lower Peninsula is defined as those counties whose southern boundaries are as far or farther north than the southern boundary of Missaukee county.
                Second, studs or other traction devices shall not be used unless they wear either concrete or asphalt pavements, typical of those in this state, at a rate not to exceed 25% of the reference standard studded tire."

So You CAN run studs but there has been no manufacture that has provided wear specs.

I didn't have any problems or questions asked when I got my 4 studded winter tires from Tirerack, which I "cash and carried" in person. Those tires have been good to have with the ice and snow of this winter.
                Last edited by lessersivad; 02-02-2014, 12:23 AM.

Comment

There's also this;

and Section 257.710

which states in paragraph (e)

"(e) A person may operate on a highway a vehicle which has a pneumatic tire in which are inserted ice grips or tire studs if the person is a law enforcement officer operating a vehicle owned by a law enforcement agency, a person operating an ambulance, or a United States postal service rural carrier driving a vehicle the rural carrier owns and maintains as a prerequisite to employment in the postal service."

So yup, I'm a rebel.....LOL.

Comment

You should be in jail. Breaking every law in the book.
                    1988 Ford Festiva "Sonic" BPT g25mr MS2 standalone ecu, FOTY '11, Best Beater FMV, Fan Favorite FMVI

1989 Ford Mustang GT 5.slow

1996 Ford F-150

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie1717 View Post
                      I've had the Kumho tires a couple times. Weren't the best, didn't last very long.
                      100% agree they wouldn't last at all on my civic I was lucky to get 35k and at the end they were death in the rain.I went through 4 sets and said enough is enough.
                      I HIGHLY recommend the General ALTMAX on your list. They have very good performance dry,and in the wet the really rock. There is nothing worse than tiny cars hydroing at 75 and these dont at all.My wife has been using them in the snow and they do ok. She drives like a turtle,but I test drove it and they aren't UN-safe in the snow. I have two sets of those Generals on 14"s and one set of their 13" snow tire. For the price I think they are great tire.
                      Last edited by nitrofarm; 02-02-2014, 01:35 AM.
                      Some people like to read fiction,I prefer to read repair manuals. Weird I know-
                      Henry Ford: "Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently"
                      Fuseable Link Distribution Block repair link

Comment

Originally posted by Flyin4stroke View Post
                        You should be in jail. Breaking every law in the book.
                        LOL....shhhhh.....

I haven't taken any official measurements of the "wire" or calculated contact surface percentages but in paragraph (c) of Section 257.710 it states;

"(c) A person may operate on a highway a vehicle which has a pneumatic tire in which wire of .075 inches in diameter or less is embedded if the tire is constructed so that the percent of metal in contact with the highway does not exceed 5% of the total tire area in contact with the roadway, except that during the first 1,000 miles of use or operation of the tire the metal in contact with the highway shall not exceed 20% of the area."

So I actually MAY be running "inside the law".

Comment

Been pulled over..

No seat belt, 5 over, no seat belt again.

All 3 were warnings, every pull over I had the new sticker for plate in glove box, obviously he didn't look at the plate., and never noticed or gave thought to look at tires.

Proven that you have more of a chance to get an infraction for something else.

Comes summer switch your rubber. Don't speed, don't make a scene, keep things legal from a distance point of view, and you'll be fine.

Sent from my rooted HTC Supersonic using Tapatalk 2 Pro

Comment

Working...
                          X