What should I do.. :/

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What should I do.. :/

I have never been in this kind of circumstance before and really don't know how I should handle this. Just looking for honest opinions! Here is the scoop I bought a 94 Mazda protege LX back in July and it needed some tlc brakes, exhaust and a radio. I have put on new exhaust, all new rotors, brake pads, calipers, new battery and belts, alternator was removed and checked turned out good. Still never put a radio in though. In the last week the trans (I.E Auto) is slipping bad went to check the fluids for it and it is way black :/ and on my way home last night the exhaust broke off where it hooks up to the engine as well. The really question is what should I do with this car?
    1991 Auto Ford Festiva " Noel " <-- cuz theres No L in Festiva
    1991 Manual Ford Festiva
    1999 ford f-250 5.4L My gas guzzler.

If you own a Festiva, that's a perfect car to grab the engine out of.

If that's your only car, a junkyard transmission can be bought fairly cheap $250ish, and the exhaust can be fixed.

It really depends on your ability to do the work. If it goes into a shop it could get pricey
    -Greg
    Euro-bprt...WORLDS FASTEST FESTIVA !!! 11.78@115.9
    BP, G trans, Megasquirt/ 550cc inj. t3/t3 (tbird) Garrett, REAR TURBO!!!! AND AC!!!!
    Redneck Engineer
    FOTY - '09
    5x Festiva Madness Attendee...FM 3,4,5,6,8
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpCZ7...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vU_eX...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ

Comment

^^totally agree, tranny's aren't too terrible to change if you're handy with a wrench

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
      1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
      2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

Agree on both of above
        -Bryant

Comment

I have a bp engine and xr2 5spd I am putting in a festiva in my garage so no real room to work. Don't really wanna do anything in all this snow in my one lane driveway :/
          1991 Manual Ford Festiva

Comment

It is not my only car. I have a truck and 3 festivas lol.
            1991 Manual Ford Festiva

Comment

Sounds like you should post it up for sale as a swap donor.
              Oldest Festiva on the forum (so far) 3/87 LX - 225k
              89 Tracer 13" alloys and dome light. Pioneer stereo, all else is stock.

Comment

I would try flushing the trans first. Is the level low?

Seafoam Trans Tune and new generic trans fluid for 1,000 miles, then refill with good stuff.

Get a quote from a few muffler shops. If it's not too thin from rust or something, they could weld it.
                -Zack
                Blue '93 GL Auto: White 13" 5 Point Wheels, Full LED Conversion, and an 8" Sub

Comment

Originally posted by crazyrog17 View Post
                  I would try flushing the trans first. Is the level low?

Seafoam Trans Tune and new generic trans fluid for 1,000 miles, then refill with good stuff.

Get a quote from a few muffler shops. If it's not too thin from rust or something, they could weld it.
                  I was thinking of doing some kind of flushing with the trans and the metal is too thin.
                  1991 Manual Ford Festiva

Comment

I've found sea foam trans tune at Meijer. Under $10 for a can

Still, go get a few quotes on the exhaust. One place near here surprised me in quoting half of what the other guys were asking and did a great job.
                    -Zack
                    Blue '93 GL Auto: White 13" 5 Point Wheels, Full LED Conversion, and an 8" Sub

Comment

i had a 92 LX and it was a great beater. the AT was a bad match for the great hi revving 1.8. would've been a great sleeper with a stick. i'd try to save the engine at least if it comes to junking it. they are getting harder to find. i can't remember if the exhaust downpipe included the braided flex pipe but i changed it a few times on mine and it was an easy bolt on. no welding.

Comment

Originally posted by crazyrog17 View Post
                        I've found sea foam trans tune at Meijer. Under $10 for a can

Still, go get a few quotes on the exhaust. One place near here surprised me in quoting half of what the other guys were asking and did a great job.
                        Got no Meijer here only Wal-marts! :/ Ya planning on calling around Monday for the exhaust. Suppose to be really nice Monday then back to the 10-20 range for a couple days to follow.
                        1991 Manual Ford Festiva

Comment

Working...
                        X