Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

water injection, for better fuel economy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Most nitrous tanks hold 1500psi routinely. That'd be enough for a huge water tank depending on bottle size

Comment

But can you fill a tank to 1500psi at home? I can't. Not being sarcastic. I just would like to know of a way to do that, and I don't currently.

Also just found this.

http://www.turbomirage.com/water-alcohol-injection-parts-list.html
      Last edited by sketchman; 03-26-2015, 02:26 PM.
      Any difference that makes no difference is no difference.

Old Blue- New Tricks
      91 Festiva FSM PDF - Dropbox

Comment

Injecting pre turbo can be very beneficial, but can also be more sensitive to tuning. The compressor size should be chosen for the heavier mixture, and certain blade profiles are better than others. I'm not commenting any further on that project as it wasn't my personal project and I was fortunate just to have been involved.
        Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

You obviously don't want a 10gph nozzle spraying pre turbo, because of droplet sizes. Sounds like the mixture would be best spent spraying from several different spots. Pre turbo, pre intercooler, post throttle.

Comment

Yeah. With the current type of nozzles available, they are better off spaced out. People have used fuel foggers for nitrous systems as well. I've never used those.
            The pressurized tank has been done also. Some people pressurize the tank with boost pressure, and place the nozzle pre turbo. That's the original way to water inject a turbocharged car.
            Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

Charlie, maybe you can answer this question for me. When changing fuel pressure to injectors, it's semi common knowledge that 4x the starting pressure is double the flow rate. Why isn't it the same with wmi nozzles. Alcohol injection systems has some flow rate vs pressure charts that do not depict that 4x pressure rule.

Comment

I had trouble with HHO and treated water injection such as windowasher fluid. Anything but distilled water would eventually stick moving parts such as idle speed control. For 2 or 3 months of playing it should not hurt anything.

When something screws up with high compression it can get expensive quick.
                Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

Originally posted by bhearts View Post
                  Charlie, maybe you can answer this question for me. When changing fuel pressure to injectors, it's semi common knowledge that 4x the starting pressure is double the flow rate. Why isn't it the same with wmi nozzles. Alcohol injection systems has some flow rate vs pressure charts that do not depict that 4x pressure rule.
                  Different specific gravity.

Comment

Originally posted by sketchman View Post
                    Huh?

If you're injecting pre-turbo it should be good and mixed, and then distribute evenly.
                    To answer your question, there's two possibly outcomes. Pressurized tank and fuel injectors, or pulse width mod pump and a misting nozzle. I personally like the pwm pump idea the best. Without a turbo, you could base water injection on throttle position, so at idle, your pump gets 0 percent duty cycle, and wide open throttle gets as close to 100 percent pump pressure as possible. That's the most simple way to do it I would say.

Comment

Working...
                    X