No announcement yet.

1989 Fi auto Festiva running poorly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks a lot SiliconSoul! Also any idea to fix the blow by? The air filter is new, not sure why it would be starved of air?

Comment

Blow-by is caused by worn piston rings. Your PCV should be replaced. It could be gummed up, stuck open or closed causing part of your problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      "Fred" 93 Festiva L B6-ME Swap
      “Though he is small, he is but fierce.”

Comment

Piston rings spent at 90k? Hope not.

Comment

The oil in your intake tube is there because your positive crankcase ventilation system cannot properly handle the amount of blow-by oil that would normally be pulled into the intake and burned in the combustion chamber. Your positive air flow is restricted or your oil rings are worn. Change your PVC valve first. It's a $5 part.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          "Fred" 93 Festiva L B6-ME Swap
          “Though he is small, he is but fierce.”

Comment

Will grab one tomorrow if I can find one in stock for it. Thanks

Comment

mine had oil but my pcv was good

Comment

Put a junkyard vaf on and it's basically acting the same. Still have code 8 also. Any thoughts?

Comment

Just adjusted the timing and now it doesn't stall at stops and it also now drive 100 times better! Still have the vaf code but its running great compared to how it was. Now for the new problem. The distributor bolt on bottom is stripped but the top is good. What's a good fix for that!? Jeesh. If its not one thing it's another but I'm not giving up on this festiva!

Comment

Bueller, bueller

Comment

You only need one bolt. Should be fine as is. Make sure top is snug. Is the bolt head stripped, or the threads

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk

Comment

Ok that's good. The bolt hole in the block is stripped. The top one is snug and well. I guess down the line I could throw a helicoil in the lower bolt hole. Any ideas it why the VAF engine code is still coming up?

Comment

Cory, I just looked in my Haynes manual for the 08 code about your VAF. It said to check the airflow sensor circuit from the sensor to the ECM for an open or short circuit or a sensor malfunction. It then describes two checks at the VAF. The first one is battery voltage. Your VAF is certainly getting power, or else you wouldn't be moving at all.

The next check is Reference Voltage. This check should show you a 5V value from the REF pin, which is the exact middle one. You need a digital voltmeter for this.

Do you have a Haynes or Ford shop manual?

Karl
                          '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
                          '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
                          '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
                          '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
                          '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

Working...
                          X