Marvel Mystery Oil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marvel Mystery Oil

Just wondering what everyone's opinion was on Marvel Mystery Oil? Was thinking about running it in the little B3 I've got. It's got 220k on it and was obviously neglected by the previous owner. Figured I'd dump some in as directed after an oil change and buzz around for a few days before changing the oil again. I used it a few times in the gas tank of my old RX7 with a little 2 cycle engine oil since the OMP was shot, but I've never had any experience using it on a valved engine. Everything I've read sounds relatively promising. Thoughts?
    You can't polish a turd but sure as hell can roll it in glitter.

I prefer seafoam over everything else. Independent studies show that it's made up of 4 parts diesel, 2 parts naptha or similar yellow oil, and 1 part alcohol like methanol. Diesel makes a great de greaser and lube, naptha is the big cleaning agent in the mix, and the methanol is for water control in your oil or gas. You could make the stuff yourself at a fraction the cost.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk

Comment

Also depending on how badly it was neglected before you got it, I would be careful cleaning it up. Especially on the inside. You could cause leaks. Or make them MUCH worse. I'd change seals before I did any chemical cleaning. Cam seal, and both crank seals at the very least. I know it sucks to change the rear one, but it's worth it. Ask me how I know.
      Any difference that makes no difference is no difference.

Old Blue- New Tricks
      91 Festiva FSM PDF - Dropbox

Comment

Originally posted by bhearts View Post
        I prefer seafoam over everything else. Independent studies show that it's made up of 4 parts diesel, 2 parts naptha or similar yellow oil, and 1 part alcohol like methanol. Diesel makes a great de greaser and lube, naptha is the big cleaning agent in the mix, and the methanol is for water control in your oil or gas. You could make the stuff yourself at a fraction the cost.
        Uh, not quite:

Taken from the Seafoam® MSDS:

MATERIAL SAFETY DATA SHEET
        : Sea Foam Motor Treatment SF-16, SF-128, SF-55
        Sea Foam Trans Tune TT-16, TT-55 Product identifier
        SECTION 1 - PRODUCT AND COMPANY IDENTIFICATION
        Motor Treatment - Fuel system treatment, Trans Tune - Transmission treatment Product Use :
        Chemical Family : Mixture.
        Refer to Supplier
        Supplier’s name and address: Manufacturer’s name and address:
        Sea Foam Sales Company
        12987 Pioneer Trail • Eden Prairie, MN, USA 55347
        24 Hr. Emergency Tel # : 1-800-535-5053 (Infotrac)
        N.
        SECTION 2 - COMPOSITION/INFORMATION ON INGREDIENT

Ingredients CAS # Wt.%
        Pale Oil 64742-54-7 40.00 - 60.00
        Naphtha 64742-49-0 25.00 - 35.00
        IPA 67-63-0 10.00 - 20.00

Below extracted from various chemical sources.

IPA/67-63-0
        Is Isopropyl Alcohol, very much different from methanol and not has corrosive!

Pale oil/64742-54-7
        Data Source for TSCA Definition 2008: A complex combination of hydrocarbons obtained by treating a petroleum fraction with hydrogen in the presence of a catalyst. It consists of hydrocarbons having carbon numbers predominantly in the range of C20 through C50 and produces a finished oil of at least 100 SUS at 100.degree.F (19cSt at 40.degree.C). It contains a relatively large proportion of saturated hydrocarbons.

This is outside the diesel fuel specification of C8 to C21.

Naptha/ 64742-49-0
        Is a conventional aliphatic fluid solvent that boils in the range of approximately 66 - 92°C; 151
        - 198°F. This solvent is used in many industrial applications such as fuel additives, paints and coatings,
        industrial cleaning, and process fluids. Naphtha is composed primarily of saturated aliphatic C6 to C7
        hydrocarbons with a low aromatic content.

In short you likely can't make your own.
        I would be interested in these "independent studies" though.
        But would suggest that a mixture of IPA and #1 diesel might make a good fuel system cleaner, used at low percentages.
        Or possibly a mixture IPA and Bio-diesel would work better, again at low percentages.
        '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
        '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
        '92 Aqua parts Car
        '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
        '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
        Your holy ghost will not save you.
        Your God plutonium will not save you.
        In fact...
        ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

I didn't do very well in chemistry class lol. I think I'd rather spend the $10/$15 bucks. The last thing I wanna do is dump something in my car I formulated myself lmao.

Comment

Got a leaky valve cover seal but I don't think I'm leaking oil anywhere else. Plan in changing it out soon. I've always heard sea foam is super aggressive stuff so I'm reluctant to use it. This marvel stuff doesn't seem as intense.

Comment

Actually, the Seafoam® is less aggressive than MMO.
              MMO contains Chloro Benzene which is a very good solvent, at around 2%.

I would go with Sketchman on not cleaning out the engine itself.
              I'd would use the Seafoam® in the fuel system.
              Clean out the engine and you run the risk of opening up bearing and ring tolerances that currently are being held there by varnish and crud.
              And as he said, depending on how badly neglected it was you could loose compression, oil control, and bearings.
              But it is your car, and it is only my opinion.
              '92 Aqua parts Car
              '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K

In fact...

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

Fair enough. Thanks for all the info. I think I'll run sea foam through the fuel system and call it a day.

Comment

Wait question... Should I change the old fuel filter before or after sea foam? If I put a new filter on prior won't it just get all gummed up after the sea foam application?

Comment

Originally posted by Pu241 View Post
                    Uh, not quite:

Taken from the Seafoam® MSDS:

MATERIAL SAFETY DATA SHEET
                    : Sea Foam Motor Treatment SF-16, SF-128, SF-55
                    Sea Foam Trans Tune TT-16, TT-55 Product identifier
                    SECTION 1 - PRODUCT AND COMPANY IDENTIFICATION
                    Motor Treatment - Fuel system treatment, Trans Tune - Transmission treatment Product Use :
                    Chemical Family : Mixture.
                    Refer to Supplier
                    Supplier’s name and address: Manufacturer’s name and address:
                    Sea Foam Sales Company
                    12987 Pioneer Trail • Eden Prairie, MN, USA 55347
                    24 Hr. Emergency Tel # : 1-800-535-5053 (Infotrac)
                    N.
                    SECTION 2 - COMPOSITION/INFORMATION ON INGREDIENT

Ingredients CAS # Wt.%
                    Pale Oil 64742-54-7 40.00 - 60.00
                    Naphtha 64742-49-0 25.00 - 35.00
                    IPA 67-63-0 10.00 - 20.00

Below extracted from various chemical sources.

IPA/67-63-0
                    Is Isopropyl Alcohol, very much different from methanol and not has corrosive!

Pale oil/64742-54-7
                    Data Source for TSCA Definition 2008: A complex combination of hydrocarbons obtained by treating a petroleum fraction with hydrogen in the presence of a catalyst. It consists of hydrocarbons having carbon numbers predominantly in the range of C20 through C50 and produces a finished oil of at least 100 SUS at 100.degree.F (19cSt at 40.degree.C). It contains a relatively large proportion of saturated hydrocarbons.

This is outside the diesel fuel specification of C8 to C21.

Naptha/ 64742-49-0
                    Is a conventional aliphatic fluid solvent that boils in the range of approximately 66 - 92°C; 151
                    - 198°F. This solvent is used in many industrial applications such as fuel additives, paints and coatings,
                    industrial cleaning, and process fluids. Naphtha is composed primarily of saturated aliphatic C6 to C7
                    hydrocarbons with a low aromatic content.

In short you likely can't make your own.
                    I would be interested in these "independent studies" though.
                    But would suggest that a mixture of IPA and #1 diesel might make a good fuel system cleaner, used at low percentages.
                    Or possibly a mixture IPA and Bio-diesel would work better, again at low percentages.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk

Comment

Now that is some good work!
                      I have a different opinion on some of the substitutes he is using, but he has done some nice work!
                      Good info!
                      Thanks
                      '92 Aqua parts Car
                      '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K

In fact...

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

Working...
                      X