figuring out which engine i really have

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• figuring out which engine i really have

hi all just got my "festy" last week and am trying to get it road worthy again, my dad and grandpa had these cars as kids and i loved them so i bought one for me. problem is i inherited a half breed. kid i bought it from says its an 88 witch i dont question the part i'm questioning is he says it has a 1.6L from an 86 miata. i find no record of such thing. so where do i find casting numbers or something to tell me what the heck i'm dealing with? (and maybe how to get rid of it) As my little car is a pooch and it seems that i have it at quite a high rpm to get it to move from a stop. and for some reason it really doesnt function in 5th gear.

thanks in advance.
    Detroit
    Last edited by detroit; 06-02-2014, 09:14 PM.

Did he by chance say 86 mazda?
    91 Festiva L "Erika" b3t swap on the way
    06 Jeep Cherokee Overland
    95 Aspire (sold)

Comment

Originally posted by Chobobulous View Post
      Did he by chance say 86 mazda?
      ^This or he might have said 96? ( a long shot but maybe...). Some pics of the car/ engine would help greatly as well.

Comment

If the engine is already in your car a photo of the old car wouldn't help you would it? Unless you meant you were going to post photos of yours. Not trying to be rude trying to understand.

My b3 has the casting mark B03 above exhaust manifold. My b6 says 630 iirc.
        95 Aspire (sold)

Comment

No he said 86 miata but he didnt come across as much of a gear head to me. didnt seem to know a whole lot about turning wrenches at all. that's why i was looking for help identifying. Guess i Could post pics tomorrow if it would be helpful. kidna dark right now.

Comment

ttiwwp

I'm sorry I had to post that !

But seriously welcome to the site and were looking forward to the pics. welcomsign:tm:htd
            Last edited by M3NTAL; 06-02-2014, 10:32 PM.
            -M3NTAL MARK! Woo!!

Comment

If the Festiva is an 88 with the stock transmission it doesn't have a fifth gear!
              Ian
              Calgary AB, Canada
              93 L B6T: June 2016 FOTM
              59 Austin Healey "Bugeye" Sprite

"It's infinitely better to fail with courage than to sit idle with fear...." Chip Gaines (pg 167 of Capital Gaines, Smart Things I Learned Doing Stupid Stuff)

Link to the "Road Trip Starting Points" page of my Econobox Café blog

Comment

Originally posted by fastivaca View Post
                If the Festiva is an 88 with the stock transmission it doesn't have a fifth gear!
                Lol Speaking of that, when i was driving the 89 323 I picked up home the other day I was getting up to speed. When I tried to put it into 5th it wouldn't go and I thought to myself #$%^#$%^$#%^#$^%$#% because when i test drove it I only test drove it in the city and I didn't get up to speed. After frantically trying to shove it into 5th i lifted my hand and looked at the pattern. No 5th. I giggled to myself for being so slow and finished my drive
                95 Aspire (sold)

Comment

Yes post pictures of the engine, and we can help.

I seriously doubt it came from a Miata, because those won't bolt up to a FWD transmission.
                  1991 Ford Festiva BP (Full Aspire/Rio Swap) (337k Miles) (Around 95k Engine)
                  2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport 2.2L DOHC Ecotec (Threw a Rod)
                  1998 Chevy Monte Carlo LS 3.1 V6 (225k miles) Best MPG = 28

Comment

So to clarify some things, there was no '86 Miata. Torque Effect, both the 1.6L and 1.8L Miata engines WILL bolt up to the frontwheel drive trans, the main issues are with the intake manifold and piping, both of which would have been eliminated if the Festiva it went into is still carbed (88). Ian, I've owned two '88 LXs and let me assure you that they most certainly do have 5th gear. The '88Ls were 4 speed, the '88LXs were 5 speed. Plain and simple. Not trying to be rude, just reading some mis-information here and I wanted to clear it up. Detroit, lets see some pictures of the Festiva itself and plenty under the hood so we can get down to business identifying and diagnosing
                    No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

Originally posted by detroit View Post
                      ......my dad and grandpa had these cars as kids and i loved them so i bought one for me.....
                      How old are you all?!?!??!!???
                      1963 Fairlane - future NSS drag car
                      1965 Mustang Coupe - A-code car, restoring for/with my son
                      1973 F100 longbed - only 22k original miles, 360/auto, disk, PS/PB dealer in dash A/C
                      1996 Sonoma X-cab - son's DD
                      2002 Grand Prix - daughter's DD
                      2003 Sport Trac - 180k, 130k on replaced motor with new timing chains - F/S soon.
                      2005 Accord - wife's DD
                      2008 Mountaineer - step daughter's DD
                      2015 F150 SCrew - DD

Comment

Originally posted by htchbck View Post
                        Ian, I've owned two '88 LXs and let me assure you that The '88Ls were 4 speed, the '88LXs were 5 speed. Plain and simple.
                        :thumbup: It's a good day when you learn something you didn't know before, thanks.

Sent from somewhere west of here via Tapatalk!
                        Ian
                        Calgary AB, Canada
                        93 L B6T: June 2016 FOTM
                        59 Austin Healey "Bugeye" Sprite

"It's infinitely better to fail with courage than to sit idle with fear...." Chip Gaines (pg 167 of Capital Gaines, Smart Things I Learned Doing Stupid Stuff)

Link to the "Road Trip Starting Points" page of my Econobox Café blog

Comment

:toothy10: I can't wait to see this mystery engine!
                          1993 Ford Festiva L blue 170,000 miles
                          1990 Ford Festiva L Plus white 190,000 Auto, currently waiting to have another engine put in.
                          1995 Ford F150 XLT black 203,000 miles
                          2002 Honda CRV silver 180,000 miles
                          2003 Toyota Rav4 Sport black 94,000 miles
                          2008 Sym Rv250 dark grey 30,000 miles. My scooter.
                          1989 Ford Festiva LX black 233,000 miles. Sold to my better half's son.

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by htchbck View Post
                            So to clarify some things, there was no '86 Miata. Torque Effect, both the 1.6L and 1.8L Miata engines WILL bolt up to the frontwheel drive trans, the main issues are with the intake manifold and piping, both of which would have been eliminated if the Festiva it went into is still carbed (88). Ian, I've owned two '88 LXs and let me assure you that they most certainly do have 5th gear. The '88Ls were 4 speed, the '88LXs were 5 speed. Plain and simple. Not trying to be rude, just reading some mis-information here and I wanted to clear it up. Detroit, lets see some pictures of the Festiva itself and plenty under the hood so we can get down to business identifying and diagnosing
                            Ah. I should have known. Mainly because of the one guy who put a B3 in his Miata.
                            1991 Ford Festiva BP (Full Aspire/Rio Swap) (337k Miles) (Around 95k Engine)
                            2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport 2.2L DOHC Ecotec (Threw a Rod)
                            1998 Chevy Monte Carlo LS 3.1 V6 (225k miles) Best MPG = 28

Comment

IMG_20140603_182216.jpg IMG_20140603_182234.jpg IMG_20140603_183114.jpg IMG_20140603_182154.jpg IMG_20140603_182328.jpg IMG_20140603_182530.jpg

Ok. Sorry I'm replying so late, internet wasn't working when I got home so I went out to work on the little red wagon. Here are the pics everyone was wanting. Hope they come out ok, all I had was my cell to take them with. Dismiss the jack I was in the middle of brakes and wheel bearings when I took them. The car is an "L" but it has a 5 speed pattern on the shifter and it does shift into that position but sounds like its working quite hard and wont maintain speed unless it's going down hill. As for those of you asking more personal questions I am 29. Grandpa is gone now rest his soul, and dad is somewhere in between. Sorry for the mis type I meant to say they had a couple festivas when my brother and I were kids
                              Last edited by detroit; 06-03-2014, 09:44 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X