Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has anyone rebuilt a power steering rack?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has anyone rebuilt a power steering rack?

I think the rack in the black car might be messed up. Or the tie is bent. Car darts around if you're on and off the throttle a lot. The blue car has PS and since the black car has an automatic. For some reason it doesn't steer as light as my manual cars, and I've swapped racks with one out of a manual car.
    1963 Fairlane - future NSS drag car
    1965 Mustang Coupe - A-code car, restoring for/with my son
    1973 F100 longbed - only 22k original miles, 360/auto, disk, PS/PB dealer in dash A/C
    1996 Sonoma X-cab - son's DD
    2002 Grand Prix - daughter's DD
    2003 Sport Trac - 180k, 130k on replaced motor with new timing chains - F/S soon.
    2005 Accord - wife's DD
    2008 Mountaineer - step daughter's DD
    2015 F150 SCrew - DD

Not saying it's not the rack but have you checked the sway bar to body bushings. I've had a similar issue with bad bushings.
    To check for rack play try turning the wheel one way and grabbing the rack from the top and push and pull, up and down to check for play. One of mine was so bad it would pop when bouncing on the front bumper. But no i have not rebuild a rack. But i do have 3 bad efi racks all been replaced with carbed rackes. ( they seam to last forever) only down side here is no local parts place here has the right iners for that rack and there more expensive.
    Last edited by william; 09-12-2014, 10:05 AM.

Comment

Personally I greatly prefer manual racks, on any car. Less to break, cheaper to maintain, less stuff in the engine bay. Thinking of converting my 323 to manual steering.
      90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
      09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

I don't mind it, but it being one of our backup cars, and the girls driving it, they feel it's a little tough to drive. The BP will make up for the HP loss of the pump
        1963 Fairlane - future NSS drag car
        1965 Mustang Coupe - A-code car, restoring for/with my son
        1973 F100 longbed - only 22k original miles, 360/auto, disk, PS/PB dealer in dash A/C
        1996 Sonoma X-cab - son's DD
        2002 Grand Prix - daughter's DD
        2003 Sport Trac - 180k, 130k on replaced motor with new timing chains - F/S soon.
        2005 Accord - wife's DD
        2008 Mountaineer - step daughter's DD
        2015 F150 SCrew - DD

Comment

Working...
        X