No announcement yet.

dissecting a GTX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As an owner of a JDM Mazda Familia (323) BG GT-R myself, perhaps I can chime in a bit regarding replacement parts. Most of the consumables are shared with other Mazda B engines.

Things like timing belts & water-pumps are the same as with the MX-5 (or Miata as you call it over there), though if I remember correctly the 1.8L Familia BG GTX's use the 1.6L NA6 Miata water-pump due to a difference in mounting tabs. Oil pumps can also be interchanged from the Miata provided you get the same equivalent version, so short nose Miata crank oil pump for a GTX also with short nose crank or change the whole crankshaft along with it's oil pump & pulleys.

Oil filters are just the same as Festiva/121/323/NA6 & NA8 Miata/RX-7 & 8 etc.

Various interior trim & dashboard bits is shared with the regular BG 323 sedans & hatches.

Many options for usable alternators as well. Going from the 65amp ones of the Aspire to the 110amp in the Mazda MPV or RX-7, though maneuvering anything bigger then a 70amp into place get's tricky.

The rear diff on the 1.8L BG GTX is internally the same as the viscous LSD in the 1.6L NA6 Miata (not sure if the casing is the same). So using either the Miata rear diff or an aftermarket equivalent is possible. Some GTX owners have had Miata KaaZ & Cusco LSDs fitted into their GTXs with apparently some mining machining in the diff case.

In Australia we have over here a business who specializes in finding & shipping various JDM Mazda parts from Japan to just about anywhere in the world. I've once had to have him find me a front bumper reinforcement metal panel for the my 323 GT-R Rupewrecht is the name to look up if you decide to ever use his services.
    Last edited by Zoombie; 02-20-2016, 05:58 AM.
    ex Mazda 121 FunTOP, ex Mazda Miata, now

[93 Mazda 323/Familia GTR Turbo 4WD]

Comment

thanks for the tip. fortunately everything still works. i had hoped to get O.S. pistons and rings for the BJ but hard to find new set. i use a site called AMAYAMA to get oem parts. they have database of ford warehouse inventory in japan and AU and will ship JDM parts anywhere. unfortunately most parts from 90s are no longer in any stock.

Comment

Might also have to look into the second hand stuff in Japan too. Things come onto Yahoo Japan auctions here & there which Rupewrecht deals with all the time. Lot of stuff in New Zealand too as that's where the majority of the Familia GTXs ended up at, but finding someone who'll want to bother with shipping stuff overseas though is another challenge.

Comment

Ah wait, yours is a BJ? I thought it was a BG series Turbo 4WD GTX you meant. Probably most of what I wrote doesn't apply to that model then. I don't think the BJ 4WD was ever called a GTX though, & don't think it came in turbo either.

Comment

What F3BZ had is a Festiva GTX. It's a JDM only version of the Festiva with the naturally aspirated BJ engine and front wheel drive.
            Ian
            Calgary AB, Canada
            93 L B6T: June 2016 FOTM
            59 Austin Healey "Bugeye" Sprite

"It's infinitely better to fail with courage than to sit idle with fear...." Chip Gaines (pg 167 of Capital Gaines, Smart Things I Learned Doing Stupid Stuff)

Link to the "Road Trip Starting Points" page of my Econobox Café blog

Comment

I archived a bunch of GTX pictures that someone was selling.

Comment

Any chance you've come across a part number for the crankshaft? Also have you checked to see if the pistons interchange with any of the 1.6 engines? The bj has the same bore with a shorter stroke. I would think they'd save a few buck and use off the shelf pistons. I've been trying to find part numbers or a engine for sale but my Google - fu is weak.
                Last edited by shorestiva; 02-21-2016, 07:29 PM.
                Better Than Nothing Racing

Way too many cars

:woc:

Comment

crank part# is BJ0111300. rings have same # as 323 1.6L but pistons seem to be unique. i'm sure something from mazda would fit.

Comment

Also slightly off topic this popped up on yja a month or 2 ago.

(boo on my phone it was a lot higher res before I saved it)

Way too many cars

Comment

Cool. GTA

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
                      '89L 110k mi. BP/G swapped
                      '90LX 68k mi. wrecked 12/14 RIP
                      '90 F250 4X4 108K mi.
                      '13 Kia Rio 5 LX 70k mi.
                      '18 Kia Soul 40k mi. Daily
                      '64 Studebaker Gran Turismo Hawk
                      '66 International Harvester pickup

Comment

Hmmmm when I search that pn this is the only japanese result that pops up.

http://www.monotaro.com/p/6288/1454/

Seems to be some sort of part website but not quite sure what I'd be buying.

Way too many cars

Comment

this will be of little interest except maybe to those who have an FMS or ernst repro front GTX bumper cover. a little pictorial of the OEM fog lamp mounting arrangement. i was changing a bulb in one of the lamps and found the lens gaskets to be deteriorated. also, the reflectors having dulled and the housings beginning to rust, i decided to source a new set.
                          the GTX was factory supplied with Cibie (Cee Bee Aay) series 35 yellow lamps made in France with 55W H2 bulbs. the housing and lens ring are painted black. there is 1 male bullet type wire connection at each lamp for 12V and grounding is through the mounting bolt. even though the Cibie mounting system allows rotation of the lamp in 2 directions, when installed on the GTX they are pretty much fixed in a pre-determined aim due to the close fitment in the bumper cover fog lamp wells. the Cibie 35 lamps are also available with a clear driving lens and a yellow smooth lens and housings can also be had in chrome. H2 bulbs are available in 100W and even higher rallye wattages but i would want to upgrade the wiring for those.
                          as mentioned, the bumper wells were molded only to accept this particular lamp which is basically rectangular but with slightly rounded ends. of course a smaller lamp would fit but luckily the Cibies are still available so i decided to keep the factory look. i think Cibie was bought by Valeo and these later Cibies have a separate ground wire and 12V wire. also i should mention in case you are looking to buy these that there is an earlier series 35 that is flat on all 4 sides and will not fit into the GTX lamp wells.
                          the bumper reinforcement bar on the GTX is significantly different than on a regular Festiva. it is thinner in height in the center and also incorporates mounting brackets on each end to accept the lamp clamp brackets and bolt. it attaches with 2 instead of 3 studs to the radiator support panel. there is a 2 piece styrofoam insert as on the regular Festiva. the GTX bumper cover is 1" wider overall than the regular cover. even the small left side splash shield and the rubber weather flaps are wider just to accommodate this extra width.
                          i haven't looked into it but i'm guessing that the regular bumper reinforcement bar might have to be cut or modified to allow clearance for the fog housings if you were to use them in a repro cover. also, a notch is necessary in the top wall of the fog lamp well to clear the lamp brackets. the JDM GTX bumper reinforcement and lamp clamps are unfortunately no longer available.
                          the replacement lamps i chose are chromed, unlike the originals but only the trim ring will be visible. i'm also not sure if the Cibie stone covers will fit in the bumper wells. the lamps are that close.

Last edited by F3BZ; 06-05-2016, 11:34 PM.

Comment

Those are critical details, thank you for doing the research.
                            Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                            94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

both JDM Festivas came with this "mini" battery. hard to tell by the pics but it is taller and narrower than the 35 size in a US Festy. the posts are very small diam. even the tray is smaller.
                              the good is 18.6# weight compared to the 25.4# 35. the bad is trying to find a replacement at a decent price when the time comes.

Comment

How dose everything look brand new!?
                                And your even in pa stuff rust up around here if you look at it wrong!

Comment

Working...
                                X