Festy Cross Country Road Trip Questions Please Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by festyxfi View Post
    Tom, I punished myself with air cooled buses for years back in the late 90's. My hometown is one of those towns all the hippies sort of ended up at, and a lot of busses sitting in back fields and yards. I use to get them for $300 bucks, fix something, often right in the driveway, and drive them away. I once bought one in Humboldt for $300 bucks, literally left the guys house and drove to Chapel Hill, NC, and lived in it for the next 4 months working and having an adventure. I even made it back to California in the spring, but died shortly after that.

Good memories
    Humboldt AZ?

I too have had a few aircooled VW's and a Westy Vanagon. Lots of great memories. I still enjoy attending the Jerome bus jamboree each year.
    Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

Humboldt County in California. Arcata. I still think they're neat rigs, but not as a reliable vehicle to travel around in.

Originally posted by Advancedynamix View Post
      Humboldt AZ?

I too have had a few aircooled VW's and a Westy Vanagon. Lots of great memories. I still enjoy attending the Jerome bus jamboree each year.
      Because....45 MPG.

Comment

Heres the link to my current planned mapquest route: http://mapq.st/1FR0ZG5

Im thinking make it to Badlands/Mt. Rushmore/Devils Tower the first day and camp overnight and then explore the area the folowing morning, and then proceed on down to either Denver for the next night or push threw to the Grand Canyon for night two and then once again explore in the morning, and then head out to the Hoover Dam, and then my new base to check-in and then, off to LA to meet up with on of my friends and explore and drop my buddy off at his uncles house.
        Last edited by Powerstiva; 03-12-2015, 06:20 AM.
        91' Festiva GL Auto EFI--- BP swapped, G-Series swap in the works.
        Adjustable VW MK2 front suspension and Aspire disc brakes
        Aspire rear axle and drum swapped with adjustable KYB rear suspension

LOOKING FOR RUST FREE SHELL IN CALIFORNIA

Comment

I came across this picture and remembered this thread. Maybe it will give you some ideas.
          Last edited by festyxfi; 03-24-2015, 11:40 PM.
          Because....45 MPG.

Comment

We currently made it to Devils Tower in Wyoming, Earlier today we stopped at Mt. Rushmore and had a great time. Gas mileage with the trailer isn’t as good as I was hoping for but well see if it gets better. Following is what we have got so far:
            184.5m-7.306g~25.25mpg (Partial trailer towing)
            124.2m-5.193g~23.92mpg (Flatland)
            166.7m-7.696g~21.66mpg (Eastern South Dakota)
            124.8m-6.251g~19.96mpg (Middle of South Dakota to Northern Iwoa)
            141.8m-7.5g(ish)~18.91mpg (Forgot to check the pump readout for the # of gallons)
            150.8m-9.015g~16.73mpg (Iwoa to Mt. Rushmore)
            219.2m-9.215g~23.79mpg (Mt. Rushmore to Devils Tower, Really pushed out luck with this tank we were riding on E for awhile lol)
            91' Festiva GL Auto EFI--- BP swapped, G-Series swap in the works.
            Adjustable VW MK2 front suspension and Aspire disc brakes
            Aspire rear axle and drum swapped with adjustable KYB rear suspension

LOOKING FOR RUST FREE SHELL IN CALIFORNIA

Comment

The only time in my life I ever ran out of gas was pulling a trailer. Had no idea the mileage would go down so much. Keep the speed down to 50-55, and have a 2-gallon gas can with you.
              90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
              09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Wow that's a pretty big drop. I would have figured some way to cover the trailer and make it more aero friendly.
                91GL BP/F3A with boost
                13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

Use trailer tires, lightest load range for the expected weight, they roll easier. Use radial, they roll easier. Always top air pressure and try to rattle wheel bearings before hauling a load. Use a flat bed trailer where possible, less wind drag. Load atv's, snowmobiles and motorcycles with the front one facing forward, less wind drag. Most trailers like to package 2 ATV's or snowmobiles side by side. Make your trailer or figure a way to haul them in line..way less drag.

Know your route, avoid hills and stop and go by adjusting your route. Avoid routes that encourage you to speed, or that may test your braking ability. Get yourself into a calm and relaxed state mentally and physically. Your mileage will go up as well as your life expectancy. Don't try to prove what these little cars can do, towing is the time a weak point may break. Its not fun when you break down with a trailer in tow. Be extra easy towing, then hot rod it later near home, if something breaks then its not so bad.
                  Last edited by Movin; 06-29-2015, 01:34 PM.
                  Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

Working...
                  X