Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Grit your teeth and read this article about Festivas.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Folks with self confidence or public perception issues (especially men) will always find excuses for slandering practical cars that don't fill the mold of 'fashionable' or 'macho'. Bet this guy drives a big pickup, SUV, Audi or Mustang (etc) and is more than willing to sacrifice fuel economy and repair expense to ensure he doesn't get laughed at, snubbed or questioned by his audience.
    A mechanic buddy of mine who's long driven diesel pickups for their manly cachet got hold of a clean little-old-lady-driven 5 speed Toyota Tercel 5-6 years ago for $200. He'd figured on flipping it for a quick profit but after inadvertently (his truck was down for repairs for a month) discovering how cheap and easy it was to fix, and how far it would go on $50 worth of gas, began driving it every day and now only uses the truck to haul or pull stuff.
    When you disassemble (ie strip out) a Festy (with the exception of the foolishly-engineered front brake rotor/wheel bearing set up) you quickly discover that Kia put a lot of extra effort into building what otherwise should have been a 'disposable' car. That the design and engineering of these is from the mid 1980s and that they are still being produced (or were, until recently) under licence 30 years later (Brazil and Iran?) tells me somebody got something right.

Comment

I ripped them a new one in the comments.

Your welcome in advance

Comment

You know, I'm not all that angry about the article. If it means I can go buy a cheaper festiva because nobody else wants it, then why be angry about that?
        -Coop

Comment

Working...
        X