1993 Ford Festiva Automatic Transmission Issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1993 Ford Festiva Automatic Transmission Issues

Hello. I'm new to this site. I have a 1993 Festiva with 40,000 miles on it. I bought it off my Grandma who never drove it. It has been a great work car but it just recently started having issues. I notice in the morning especially that it shifts really hard when starting from a complete stop. It gets worse the more quickly you try to accelerate. It will also randomly have a problem shifting from like 3rd to 4th (I think). The RPM's will just continue to climb until I let off the gas and eventually I can feel it up-shift. Has anyone had any experience with this issue or any thoughts on what is causing this? Thanks.

sounds like it needs to have the filter changed, have a 92 auto and it was doing same changed the filter and serviced along with
    fluid. all so welcome.

92 GL was red automatic Ms Va., now Zinc Yellow

Comment

Hi, welcome to the forum. For starters, Id check the fluid level in the tranny. The auto trannys have a dipstick near the distributor cap. Drive it around a little to warm up the fluid, then with the engine idling, check the fluid level. It's probably the original fluid from the factory and has never been changed or topped off. It might be low due to leaks at the driveshaft seals, for instance.

Since you just got this car, I'd recommend getting at least a Haynes manual for it. That will answer a lot of basic questions.
      90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
      09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Also FYI there is no 4th gear.
        91GL BP/F3A with boost
        13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

^ auto tranny's have 4th gear their just missing 5th right?
          88 L carb'ed (when up in flames of glory)(deceased) 4spd
          89 L carb'ed (died on the operating table (rust))(deceased) 5spd
          93 gl FI (sold) automagical
          89 lx FI megasquirted "luna" b6D+t (186hp 209ftlbs)
          88 L carbFI megasquirted zombie car

Comment

^ Nope, we're stuck with 3 gears with Auto transmissions
            1990 L Plus Stock B3 automatic -scrapped- My First Festiva - RIP
            1991 GL - B6d, g-series trans, aspire brakes, Advanced Suspension coilovers, Miata 7 spoke rims, '98 Prelude seats, more to come!
            2005 Focus ZX4 SES - purchased from original owner, my grandmother. Currently my wife's daily. 210k

You can follow me on instagram @twfodor

Comment

Yep, 3 speed only, no lockup torque converter either.
              1991 Ford Festiva BP (Full Aspire/Rio Swap) (337k Miles) (Around 95k Engine)
              2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport 2.2L DOHC Ecotec (Threw a Rod)
              1998 Chevy Monte Carlo LS 3.1 V6 (225k miles) Best MPG = 28

Comment

The Aspire lock up converter can be added. Awesome low miles, probably very little wear. The Vacuum modulator has rubber in it and rubber will age regardless of miles. Check the vacuum hose coming up from the transmission for traces of ATF. If the modulator starts leaking the shifts will start shifting at higher rpms and with more snap. At some point it will no longer shift into high. The vacuum hose is rubber and can start leaking , check it carefully. You lucky dog, you have something special, take good care of it!
                Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

x2 on the modulator. I had one went bad and it did sort of what you're describing.. Its $10-$15 part but it takes some small hand and patients to get it changed. Front of the trans way down below the battery. See it from under the car.
                  '89L 110k mi. BP/G swapped
                  '90LX 68k mi. wrecked 12/14 RIP
                  '90 F250 4X4 108K mi.
                  '13 Kia Rio 5 LX 70k mi.
                  '18 Kia Soul 40k mi. Daily
                  '64 Studebaker Gran Turismo Hawk
                  '66 International Harvester pickup

Comment

Welcome to the Forum and the Madness. You don't know how lucky you are to have come into possession or a low mileage Festiva. Start reading through the many threads and subjects. There are lots of good articles and knowledge.
                    I hate being Bi-Polar, it's awesome.

Comment

Working...
                    X