No announcement yet.

Tilt steering column

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i've gotten a couple shipments from this german seller. his shipping charges are very fair compared to 4G. even the switch is alot cheaper than 4G. do some research on this though. i think there is a problem getting then headlights to work on 88-89 cars if you use this switch.

Comment

Originally posted by F3BZ View Post
      i've gotten a couple shipments from this german seller. his shipping charges are very fair compared to 4G. even the switch is alot cheaper than 4G. do some research on this though. i think there is a problem getting then headlights to work on 88-89 cars if you use this switch.

http://www.ebay.de/itm/KIA-Pride-Sch...EAAOSwSHZWeFa4
      If it's identical to the one shown as foregreen part KK19166120D, everything work fine on my 89 L automatic.
      Would the Automatic be different from the Manual perhaps? My 89 Automatic has efi also.

Comment

that might be the situation. i'd have to dig thru 88 carb diagrams vs EFI diagrams and probably still not recognize what i was looking at. to the best of my deteriorating memory i think the issue had something to do with the carb cars operating the headlights directly while the EFI went through a relay in the switch. or vice versa. hopefully somebody with exacter experience will contribute.

Comment

to the person who scored the tilt column. before you install could you measure overall length? i got a tilt from Kia (Pride). it's about an inch longer than a ford 90+ non tilt. even the column lock is an inch higher. this might mean i have to use the 2 pc. column cover instead of the 3 pc. i'd be interested to know what your ford tilt column length is.

Comment

A pic of a standard steering column on the bottom measures 26" tilt measures 26.5".Cover on the top left i think is the proper bottom cover for the tilt but maybe the other works also.I own it but haven't decided if i will ever install it or pass it on to someone else.I have a parts car just about stripped down and ready to load up and scrap i might throw it into just to familiarize myself with it.I have a spare gray 3 piece set if you need one f3bz.
            Last edited by jfd64; 03-09-2016, 02:42 PM.

Comment

The combo switch that comes with an 88-89 tilt is not entirely compatible with a 90-93.The base of the component is the same and the wiper switch is compatible.The difference lies in the headlight switch and stalk.The 90-93 has a wire with a plug that runs off the stalk.My rule of thumb if the graphics on a oem combo switch are orange it will not be compatible in a 90-93.The 89 auto efi is a bit of a crossover that i have little knowledge of but i am curious if the combo switch is ist or second gen.compatible .What color are the graphics?I am almost certain the ignition wiring will match up on the switch.Ignition switches and combo switches aren't difficult to swap if need be with a little advise especially if you have the column out.
              Last edited by jfd64; 03-09-2016, 03:23 PM.

Comment

89 auto switch is same as other 88-89.
                "Blue92"- 92L 5 spd, original owner- 185K, B8,DD..
                "Pedro"-88L 5-spd, B6D (built by Advancedynamix)
                "Blanca"-92 GL auto, 125K(FM8 Lowest Miles)- B6 daughter's DD
                "Tractor Blue"- 89 L auto, 110K
                "Chester"-88 LX, runs but not street legal
                "Wenona"-89L parts car
                "Flame"- 89 LX 5 spd ,parts car

Comment

thanks jfd. i have both styles just in case. 4G still had the 2 pc ones. here is a side by side of a pride tilt and a 90s standard. lot longer than 1/2". i have an 88 ford tilt column somewhere. if its only 1/2" longer that would mean 3 possible lengths.

Comment

Tilt steering columns --

I have three 88/89 LXs. All have tilt. It's pretty much useless if you're of average height; if you lower the steering wheel at all (it only goes down an inch or two), the top of the wheel blocks your view of the speedo numbers.
                    88L black, dailydriver
                    88LX silver a/c, dailydriver
                    4 88/89 disassembled
                    91L green
                    91GL aqua pwrsteer
                    92GL red a/c reardmg
                    3 93L blue, 2 dailydriver, 1 frontdmg
                    1952 Cessna170B floatplane

Comment

i'm gonna get scans posted but looking thru the EVTM books, the 88/89 feeds the headlites straight thru the switch. the 90+ goes thru a relay in the engine bay.

Comment

Originally posted by caoverlock View Post
                        it will bolt right up. i have one in my 92 festiva.
                        Neat. Will have to do that sometime then.

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk
                        1991 Ford Festiva BP (Full Aspire/Rio Swap) (337k Miles) (Around 95k Engine)
                        2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport 2.2L DOHC Ecotec (Threw a Rod)
                        1998 Chevy Monte Carlo LS 3.1 V6 (225k miles) Best MPG = 28

Comment

Well Im finally getting back to this mod. the swap was pretty straight forward abeit cramped, helped to take the seat out.
                          Alaska guy was right, not sure it was worth the effort ...the effect is pretty minimal.
                          Now Im on to figuring why the horn & intermittent setting of the wipers wont work.
                          Is there a specific relay that needs be added ?
                          Reading various threads Im wondering if simple grease on the wheel splines can prevent operation?

Comment

Originally posted by F3BZ View Post
                            i'm gonna get scans posted but looking thru the EVTM books, the 88/89 feeds the headlites straight thru the switch. the 90+ goes thru a relay in the engine bay.
                            Yes. They will not swap directly.
                            Any difference that makes no difference is no difference.

Old Blue- New Tricks
                            91 Festiva FSM PDF - Dropbox

Comment

Hi will this multifunction switch from four green plug right up on a 1990 L plus festiva?
                              Last edited by xlence; 07-25-2016, 08:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by xlence View Post
                                Hi will this multifunction switch from four green plug right up on a 1990 L plus festiva?
                                This one bolted righ up to my 89 Automatic EFI. So I'm pretty sure it will, but not absolutely sure since I haven't put one on my 90 L Plus.
                                http://www.fourgreen.com/store/scrip...-p-KK19166120D

Comment

Working...
                                X