Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Towing cargo trailer bounces. questions.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Towing cargo trailer bounces. questions.

So, I borrowed a friends truck and went to pick up a cargo trailer that is in bad shape and needs a lot of work.

After working all day to get it out of where it was parked, and getting tires right, I took it for a test tow. It would bounce up and down by the time I hit 20-25, so much so that I felt if it increased anymore it would lift the rear of the truck off the ground.

So, I left it there for next week.

When I was driving a tow truck, if I had experienced this, I would have thought my boom was too far out, and I needed to draw it in closer.

There is a tire changer in it, and it probably isn't perfectly balanced, but it is over the axle. There is some random stuff in the forward section, but nothing very heavy. Still, I would think the center of gravity was forward of the axle a little. Most of that IS on the drivers side of the trailer though.

Also, I admit I didn't think about how level it was. I THINK it was fairly level, but didn't check very carefully either. READ, I am capable of being tunnel visioned and ignoring something right in front of my face until someone points it out

So, what are some of the causes of that kind of bouncing? I was thinking of trying to shift that load a little forward some more. Am I on the right track, or is there something else to look at?

Thanks in advance!
    Contact me for information about Festiva Madness!
    Remember, FestYboy is inflatable , and Scitzz means crazy, YO!
    "Like I'm going to suggest we do the job right." ~Fecomatter May 28 2016.

Flat spots on tires? Has it been stitting for a while the tires probably aren't very round if it sits with low air for a long time.
    88 Ford Festiva LX "Miogi" B8-ME swapped.

93 Ford Festiva L "Haywire" Rat infested trashcan WIP

Comment

A seriously out of round tire can cause that at pretty low speed. I had an old dry rotted tire get like that and I couldn't go over 10 mph all the way home. It became an oval instead of round.
      "Blue92"- 92L 5 spd, original owner- 185K, B8,DD..
      "Pedro"-88L 5-spd, B6D (built by Advancedynamix)
      "Blanca"-92 GL auto, 125K(FM8 Lowest Miles)- B6 daughter's DD
      "Tractor Blue"- 89 L auto, 110K
      "Chester"-88 LX, runs but not street legal
      "Wenona"-89L parts car
      "Flame"- 89 LX 5 spd ,parts car

Comment

un balanced tires anything with the tires on the trailer.

Comment

Consensus seems to be tires. It did sit for a long time with one wheel off. So that will be the first thing I check! Thanks!

Comment

If anyone thinks of anything else, be sure to chime in.

Comment

jawja jim is probably on the right track, tread separation on a tyre.
              Did have a bouncy one once that kept trying to pass me, one spring shackle had rusted solid....
              No car too fast !

Comment

I was wondering how to break those rusted shackles loose!
                Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

Looked at tires last night, didn't have a ton of time, but they seem to be fine.

Sent from somewhere outside the asylum via tapatalk

Comment

If the trailer has no suspension, that is the axle is bolted directly to the frame, it will bounce every time you hit the smallest bump in the road. I've followed some small trailers with no suspension and the tires would completely leave the highway if it was big enough bump.
                    You gonna race that thing?
                    http://www.sdfcomputers.com/Festivaracing.htm

Comment

Reminds me of pulling an empty tow dolly... Miserable!
                      91GL BP/F3A with boost
                      13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

I pulled an empty dolly for six hours behind my Festiva once. Fun.

Our has suspension, it isn't coming off the road, it's like a porpoise though, trying to lift the back end of the truck off the road.

Sent from somewhere outside the asylum via tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                        X