A little rubber protectorant quiets my back shocks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A little rubber protectorant quiets my back shocks

At least temporarily- on the 'ol 96 Aspire. Started getting some knocking noises this summer- hoping to replace the shocks soon, but trying to get a little more use out of them until I can afford the parts better.

I took off the back interior plastic exposing the back of the top of the shocks, and the inertia switch. I had some tire rubber stuff so I figured I might as well it on the rubber grommets at the top- It worked! Took out almost all the noise for now.htd

I've been using Armor all type stuff on belts and hoses and the rubber grommets I can get to for years- I think it does a great job! I've also painted some suspension grommets- doesn't seem to hurt them and I'm sure gives them a layer of protection- plus it closes the gaps letting less corrosives in. And I've NEVER had a hose failure.

As cool as the 1.3 liter engines run, has anyone?nthego:

Festivas Fight Global Warming!

96 Aspire, 88 Festiva (gone 4 years now, but replaced!) '67 Peugeot PX10 at small Jacksonville pond

Last edited by harpon; 09-13-2015, 12:21 AM.

Nice info will take into consideration if my shocks ever start squeaking on me. Also does the armor all tire stuff work on the bumpers as well? I thought I read something about that and bringing back the original color of the bumpers.
    88 Ford Festiva LX "Miogi" B8-ME swapped.

93 Ford Festiva L "Haywire" Rat infested trashcan WIP

Comment

Couldn't hurt the bumpers- especially the older black ones that get faded grey- I always paint those with black latex enamel- the rough surface grabs the paint well so they don't scratch easily- do it every summer for two or three years and they get smooth and glossy and extra tough.

The lenses on the headlights that fog up over time- simply cleaning the outside can do more than a lot of people realize- paste wax or rubbing compound and an SOS pad- it's mostly scale build-up that can be removed generally quite a bit.

Daddy used to own some car washes....

the 88 twice and the newer '91
      Last edited by harpon; 09-13-2015, 01:03 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the wonderful info can't wait to try it tomorrow.

Comment

Someday I may paint the bumpers the same color as the body.... naw!

Here's another one I used to do- getting older now though- paint the muffler and tailpipes- grey primer keeps them from rusting quite a bit.
          A few years back, I got an entire exhaust system new for the Aspire, so I made sure to give it a good coat of paint before it was installed from the cat back at least- here in Florida, I don't think it will rust anytime soon.

Last edited by harpon; 09-13-2015, 01:13 AM.

Comment

Too lateIMG_20150814_173652.jpg

Comment

I will be pulling an eshaust off a festiva soon to have an intact muffler

Comment

Working...
              X