No announcement yet.

penetrating oils

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Meh. Ultimate nut buster is heat. Anything white hot a will expand and break rust loose and turn. As it cools it starts binding. Heat again!

Obviously some places can't have heat. Or keep a squirt bottle handy.

Sent from my One using Tapatalk

Comment

ya the most i have is a propane torch and that for sure isn't going to put enough heat into it
      88 L carb'ed (when up in flames of glory)(deceased) 4spd
      89 L carb'ed (died on the operating table (rust))(deceased) 5spd
      93 gl FI (sold) automagical
      89 lx FI megasquirted "luna" b6D+t (186hp 209ftlbs)
      88 L carbFI megasquirted zombie car

Comment

Originally posted by monkeykiller1996 View Post
        ya the most i have is a propane torch and that for sure isn't going to put enough heat into it
        Propane is ideal for heat, that is when used with an oxidizer. Cheap.

99% of my heat/cutting I use a propane with a propane tip. Other 1% is acetylene when I really need serious heat or no impurities with gas welding.

If you're money bags, run acetylene through a propane tip. It's ridiculous.

Last edited by jason_; 11-15-2015, 10:49 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jason_ View Post
          Propane is ideal for heat, that is when used with an oxidizer. Cheap.

99% of my heat/cutting I use a propane with a propane tip. Other 1% is acetylene when I really need serious heat or no impurities with gas welding.

If you're money bags, run acetylene through a propane tip. It's ridiculous.

If you're moneybags, use one of these induction type heaters. No risk of damage to components around what you are heating. Much faster than a torch, typically. I really want to get one, but it's a lot of money for something I would use maybe a couple times a month at best.

http://www.boltbusterinc.com/kit/
          Last edited by ZephTheChef; 11-15-2015, 01:58 PM.

Comment

I work at a GM dealership, the best thing I have found to use is AC Delco Heat riser penetrant, when you get the can, shake vigorously, if you can get to the bolt or nut, smack it with a hammer, this will shock the rust, spray with penetrant, smoke one if you have it or drink a cold one, go back and try to get the bolt loose, repeat if needed. When done store penetrant can upside down. Good luck
            An idea can turn to dust or magic, depending on the talent that rubs against it.

Comment

That's interesting

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Comment

Aerokroil. 10 bucks a can. Worth every cent. I've loosened festiva exhaust manifold heat shield bolts with it.. and didn't break them.

Sent from my ALCATEL A845L using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by sc72 View Post
                  I work at a GM dealership, the best thing I have found to use is AC Delco Heat riser penetrant, when you get the can, shake vigorously, if you can get to the bolt or nut, smack it with a hammer, this will shock the rust, spray with penetrant, smoke one if you have it or drink a cold one, go back and try to get the bolt loose, repeat if needed. When done store penetrant can upside down. Good luck
                  I thought all your allowed to use there is ac delco stuff?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

^lol

I Googled why penetrating oil works. It seems to just be that it is thin enough to work its way into the small space that exists. So that's why veg oil and whatever to thin it works just fine. I still have yet to use it, but I fully expect the kerosene and veg oil to match or beat anything else commercially available. It's nearly as thin as water.
                    Any difference that makes no difference is no difference.

Old Blue- New Tricks
                    91 Festiva FSM PDF - Dropbox

Comment

I think with some copper rod or heavy wire you could easily make your own rig. Just electricity going through a wire. Not peel out $500.

Comment

Originally posted by jason_ View Post
                        I think with some copper rod or heavy wire you could easily make your own rig. Just electricity going through a wire. Not peel out $500.

It's not direct resistive heating though...which would probably end up in you just welding it. Or contact resistive heating, which would take FOREVER. It uses high frequency magnetic fields to essentially microwave anything conductive within its coils. It's a very controlled high energy process. I would love to figure out how to make my own, but I am confident it would probably cost more than the $500 to just buy one.
                        Last edited by ZephTheChef; 11-16-2015, 03:26 PM.

Comment

this is what i have to deal with
                          upper balljoint

lower passenger side (forgot to take pic of driver side)
                          88 L carb'ed (when up in flames of glory)(deceased) 4spd
                          89 L carb'ed (died on the operating table (rust))(deceased) 5spd
                          93 gl FI (sold) automagical
                          89 lx FI megasquirted "luna" b6D+t (186hp 209ftlbs)
                          88 L carbFI megasquirted zombie car

Comment

@ monkeykiller:

Plan A
                            Step one: sell car.
                            Step two: buy car from FL or AZ.
                            Done.

Plan B
                            Cutoff-wheel those bolts off. I think they are too far gone to bother with.
                            Last edited by TominMO; 11-17-2015, 11:01 AM.
                            90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
                            09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

they don't all look like this? Fl for the win.
                              1988 Ford Festiva "Sonic" BPT g25mr MS2 standalone ecu, FOTY '11, Best Beater FMV, Fan Favorite FMVI

1989 Ford Mustang GT 5.slow

1996 Ford F-150

Comment

Holy crap. Yeah, I think I would just be cutting those things and not even fussing with attempting to break them loose. They might as well be one piece of metal.

Comment

Working...
                                X