No announcement yet.

Trip of a Lifetime!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Next blog post with a video of our trailer going up and down as well as photos of the inside. In this one we met another festiva guy, visited a ghost town and saw a lot of other cool things!
    Monday before we packed up I finally took some photos of the inside of the trailer since so many people have asked about it. Its messy, bu...

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Comment

Blog post of the day we crossed the boarder into Alaska! We were greeted by some really rough roads and more swamp. There was a whole bunch of military road building vehicles at the one campground from when the alaska highway was built
      Tuesday june 26. Our alarm went at 8, but it was raining pretty hard and we were tired, so we went back to sleep until 9, then got up, d...

Comment

Keep your children away from the clearing at the border.
        They probably keep it clear with some toxic herbicide.
        I wouldn't even let them touch the marker.
        Last edited by bravekozak; 07-26-2018, 08:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bravekozak View Post
          Keep your children away from the clearing at the border.
          They probably keep it clear with some toxic herbicide.
          I wouldn't even let them touch the marker.
          No, were environmentally friendly now, they hire people with sizzors to cut it once a week

Comment

Next blog post of visiting and walking on a glacier in alaska! Also fixing my air cylinders on the trailer and trying to camp on a military base...
            In the morning I had to decide how to fix our lift system. I thought perhaps air was leaking past the piston seals faster than it could ...

Comment

Our next blog post of the day we went to Port Hood in Anchorage Alaska. Its the largest seaplane base in the world, we learned more about the Japanese invasion of Alaska and saw lots of really cool aviation stuff in their museum like the first flight over the norh pole was in an airship from Rome, wreckage from the first round the world flight, first engine pratt and whitney built, a 2200hp radial engine...
              Thursday morning we didn't get out of bed until 9 but we were both still exhausted. The first thing I did was pump a whole bunch of greas...

Comment

Next blog post of another day in anchorage. We visited with Nicholas Andrew and checked out beluga point. It was a quieter day and this one is a shorter post but the next day is too long of a post to join this with it.

Friday morning we had slept poorly because of all the noise so we got up late. I dropped Julie off at the laundromat and went grocery shop...

Comment

Next blog post and its a big one! We visited a town that was started by the USA's government trying to colonize Alaska during the depression, saw a statue of a 130 pound cabbage, went to an incredible museum with trains, tractors, cars and snowmobiles the kids could play on and we saw the town of Talkeetna that had a cat for a mayor for 16yrs iirc.
                  Saturday morning we quickly packed up, had breakfast and managed to leave the site by 9:15am but we still had to get water, propane, mar...

Comment

Really enjoying your posts ... make me want to take a trip up that way myself.

Comment

Originally posted by 1990new View Post
                      Really enjoying your posts ... make me want to take a trip up that way myself.
                      You should! Its an interesting place. The history of white people there is a tiny bit at the gold rush but doesnt really start until ww2. Were in nova scotia now and i drove my festiva through the oldest permanently inhabited europian settlement north of florida the other day. Settled in 1605. What a contrast in history between the 2 places.

Comment

Next blog post is up! In this one Julie goes swimming with hundreds of salmon in ice cold water, we drive by the tallest mountain in north america and visit an igloo hotel. There is also a video of a moose family with 2 babies playing around in some water. The alaskan scenery here was really cool so there are a few photos and a video of that and I also realized that the reason my car has been driving funny for a couple hundred km is that the new lock washer on my lca failed...*
                        Saterday night we had a restless sleep because there were mosquitoes getting into our trailer and it was also really hot in there, so we s...

Last edited by ryanprins13; 08-27-2018, 08:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ryanprins13 View Post
                          You should! Its an interesting place. The history of white people there is a tiny bit at the gold rush but doesnt really start until ww2. Were in nova scotia now and i drove my festiva through the oldest permanently inhabited europian settlement north of florida the other day. Settled in 1605. What a contrast in history between the 2 places.

WOW... you made it from Alaska to Nova Scotia in seven days in your Festiva pulling that camper. You are now somewhere I was about this time last year.
                          My wife, her sister and I spent almost two weeks last year touring PEI, Nova Scotia and a little of New Brunswick.... Truly a beautiful part of Canada and lots of historical places to explore. Only part of western Canada and Alaska I've seen is near the coast.

Be sure to see the fishing museum and fishing ships at Lunenburg, and don't miss seeing the rocky coast at Peggy's Cove either.
                          2917-09-10 Canada Trip Photos (154).jpg
                          Last edited by 1990new; 08-27-2018, 09:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 1990new View Post
                            WOW... you made it from Alaska to Nova Scotia in seven days in your Festiva pulling that camper. You are now somewhere I was about this time last year.
                            My wife, her sister and I spent almost two weeks last year touring PEI, Nova Scotia and a little of New Brunswick.... Truly a beautiful part of Canada and lots of historical places to explore. Only part of western Canada and Alaska I've seen is near the coast.

Be sure to see the fishing museum and fishing ships at Lunenburg, and don't miss seeing the rocky coast at Peggy's Cove either.
                            [ATTACH=CONFIG]22256[/ATTACH]
                            Haha, we didnt. I will try to get better at dating those blog posts. Canada day is July first so the last blog post till now is 2 months. We saw peggy's cove, the bluenose was at Lunenburg but the kids were way too tired for the museum there unfortunatly. We did see a fishing museum in Yarmouth though. The mining museum near Sydney was real good, so was the fortress of Lousiburg. But the Cabot Trail was a little hard on the car pulling the trailer. I pulled off at a lookout half way up one of the first long hills and couldnt get out of first gear after that until the top. The first long downhill i wasnt prepared for. Went too fast (50kmh) and overheated my brakes, the hill was so long. Had to pull over 2/3 of the way down. Fronts were at 480f! But then with the temp gun i realized my trailer brakes were out of adjustment- one side was really cool and not working much. Readjusted them and things were much better after that.

Comment

I took lots of photos of the interior of the Bluenose. Those fishermen were sure hard working guys.
                              Yes I know the museum in Yarmouth... I spent about two hours in that museum...learned all about the evolution of the lights in lighthouses there and much more too. The Pleton-FUller (Founder of Fuller Brush Company) just down the street from the museum was interinting too.
                              2917-09-10 Canada Trip Photos (642).jpg

So is the Festiva and camper back home safe and sound now?

Comment

Hi Ryan. That is such an adventure on so many levels, automotive, camping, etc. I've been to NS a few times camping with my dog. I took the back seat and the passenger seats out of the Festiva the day I bought it new in '89 because we used it for camping so much. After a few nights in the tent on our fist trip to Florida the dog decided he would sleep in the car from then on. We spent a lot of time in and around Yarmouth over 3 summers. On an earlier trip with a girlfriend I saw Lousiburg and went on a sail around Halifax harbour on the Bluenose II which was fun because I used to race sailboats. Your account reminds me of pulling over into the truck lane on the hills in the Maritimes and and Appalatians(?) crawling up the steep grades in third gear trying to keep the speed up to 40 mph. You must be driving an automatic. I can't imagine a clutch getting you very far with that rig. Nice read.

PS Nice job on the trailer.
                                Last edited by WmWatt; 09-02-2018, 07:23 AM.
                                Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Working...
                                X