Cool places you have taken you car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cool places you have taken you car

in·fra·sound- sound waves with frequencies below the lower limit of human audibility.
    My daughter IM'd a while back & said Dad your fav guy is playing at Infrasound this year. Its a 4 day musical Hippyfest in Northern WI. She flew from Oregon state & we met her "Crew" there. It was @ 250 miles one way. Music from 10:00 am till 4:30 am. It was a total blast & the crowd was super cool and peaceful. No one got to crazy,but getting up the mountain was a real chore. Rains had flooded the grounds and we had to wait in line for 4 hrs.So they could spread truckloads of gravel just to get us off the county road. Then more rain & more rain and by the last day. It was a mess, it was like the old western movie were the Bar fight moves out into the street thats 12" of mud. I was smart enough just to wait till I could get towed for the 3/4 mile ride out. This is just a small portion of the cars that where there Peace

Last edited by nitrofarm; 06-09-2016, 04:30 PM.
    Some people like to read fiction,I prefer to read repair manuals. Weird I know-
    Henry Ford: "Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently"
    Fuseable Link Distribution Block repair link

I bought the first 88 Festiva "Diana" in 1997, shortly after the crash that took the Princess. I was living in Hollywood at the time and my mother was still living and I had friends still in Indiana, so I drove the Festiva across the country from L.A. to Indianapolis several times and later The Aspire from Needles CA to Indiana.

It was always an adventure and I often got off the freeway and took backroads when I could. I miss those trips now and only drive about 3000 a year in Jacksonville. The first time I was getting ready to go I mentioned the upcoming drive to the Asian man who ran the Shell station at Cahuenga and Franklin, and he said "You're driving there in THAT?" And that I did, back and forth several times in fact.

The reliance factor astonished me- and even though the Festy had 175,000 mi when I bought it, it used much less oil than VW Rabbts I had before that. I'd drive 12-14 hours and add only a quarter of a quart. The Aspire I got at 35,000 now has 119,000 and with regular and frequent changes, I have NEVER had to add any oil between changes

Last edited by harpon; 06-10-2016, 10:47 AM.

Comment

Thanks for sharing Harpon. People couldnt believe my "Little Car" made it all the way up the Mountain.

Comment

I took mine to work once...
        "The White Turd" 1993 Festiva 144k miles. (Winner of FOTM November 2016)
        sigpic
        "The Rusty Banana" 1990 Yellow 5 Speed Mud Festiva (Lifted with 27" BKT Tractor Tires)(Winner of "Best Beater Award" - Madness 12 - 2018)

"Papa Smurf" 1992 Blue 5 Speed Shell
        "Cracker?" (name pending) 1992 White Auto Shell (Future BP Swap)
        "Green Car..." Scrap Car that Runs?!?
        "Red Car..." Complete Scrap Car

"El Flama Blanca" 1993 Festiva 104k miles. (Lil Brothers Car)
        https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzM...ew?usp=sharing

Comment

Been lots of cool places with the old Festiva. Over some high passes, both coasts, below sea level... check out our blog (link in signature).

At Powder River Pass: 9666ft

With the GPS indicating 3030m or 9941ft at Tioga Pass.

Heading to Montana and Wyoming this summer and driving the Beartooth Highway which just about hits 11000ft.
          Ian
          Calgary AB, Canada
          93 L B6T: June 2016 FOTM
          59 Austin Healey "Bugeye" Sprite

"It's infinitely better to fail with courage than to sit idle with fear...." Chip Gaines (pg 167 of Capital Gaines, Smart Things I Learned Doing Stupid Stuff)

Link to the "Road Trip Starting Points" page of my Econobox Café blog

Comment

Originally posted by firebush357 View Post
            I took mine to work once...
            Pics or it didnt happen

Comment

Cool places you have taken you car

I have been in to a few pretty cool places. Normally i dont take photos, but i was literally in a lake once.*

Also driven on a frozen lake, which was much nicer... :/
              Another cool place is back where i used to like in more northern B.C near china knows mountain. There is a logging road that goes to the mountain that i used to live down and once you get close the road gets incredibly steep and twisty. I honestly do not know how you would get a logging truck out there. There was one hill i let the festiva slow down to 22mph in second gear before i floored it and ended up powering out and having to do the rest of the hill in first. Then when we got to where the hiking trail starts there isnt enough of a pullout to park sideways and my handbrake didnt work at the time. With the engine off in first gear or reverse the car would immediatly start rolling backwards down the hill. Ended up parking half a mile downhill and hiking farther. This photo was a different year. May 2. We stopped because I spun out. Backed down and took a faster run at it but 3km later the snow was 8in deep in the middle of the road and waist deep in the ditches. Its a cool place, i love it out there. Saw a mountain lion 2km from where this photo was taken, lots of bears and wolves... When we were kids (like 11 or 12) we would bike up that road because we wanted to see how far it went. Started at km 4 and the farthest we got was about km 15. Took like 3 1/2 hours to get up that far and about half an hour back home max, lol. Drove out there in may 2009 and there was too much snow. Got the car stuck at about km 13 and tried to walk the rest but the snow was waist deep in the middle of the road by km 16 so we went back. That took hours... Walking through heavy wet snow thats above knee deep for like 4 or 5km with an old rifle was tiring. Then made it back in 2012 and discovered that the road ended at km 18, lol. We always thought it went way farther.

I have always been disappointed in how poorly photos i take show how steep a hill is. These hills are incredibly steep yet they dont look like much in photos...

My brother.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              Last edited by ryanprins13; 06-10-2016, 02:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by nitrofarm View Post
                Pics or it didnt happen
                To be fair It has only been Legal for about 3-4 weeks now. Hopefully I can get some cool pictures on the way to FMX...

This Pic is just down the road from me... Jennings State Forest.
                "The White Turd" 1993 Festiva 144k miles. (Winner of FOTM November 2016)
                sigpic
                "The Rusty Banana" 1990 Yellow 5 Speed Mud Festiva (Lifted with 27" BKT Tractor Tires)(Winner of "Best Beater Award" - Madness 12 - 2018)

"Papa Smurf" 1992 Blue 5 Speed Shell
                "Cracker?" (name pending) 1992 White Auto Shell (Future BP Swap)
                "Green Car..." Scrap Car that Runs?!?
                "Red Car..." Complete Scrap Car

"El Flama Blanca" 1993 Festiva 104k miles. (Lil Brothers Car)
                https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzM...ew?usp=sharing

Comment

End of the road in 2012!*

There are some truly beautiful places to see if your not scared to travel unmapped roads. I wish my kids could grow up out there...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Cool Pics guys! So many cool places to travel and so little time. My next road trip is to Oregon state. Really want to get there soon

Comment

Mine goes camping with the jet quite often...

festijet.jpg
                      Attached Files
                      92 Festiva GL Sport 5spd A/C 282k miles
                      Power windows, Power door locks, & Heated seats !
                      Festiva of the month co-winner June 2017
                      Festiva of the month winner June 2018

Comment

^280 K Nice! Is that your Van also,looks like a Dodge?

Comment

Nope.. Friends dodge.

Actually, its over 280 now. I should to update my sig.
                          92 Festiva GL Sport 5spd A/C 282k miles
                          Power windows, Power door locks, & Heated seats !
                          Festiva of the month co-winner June 2017
                          Festiva of the month winner June 2018

Comment

Arizona Mohave desert across the Colorado from Needles CA

Open Road near San Jon NM

Route 66 N.M.

Yellowood State Forest, Southern IN

Last edited by harpon; 06-11-2016, 08:02 PM.

Comment

Working...
                            X