high idle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• high idle

just got car back on road, now car is acting up again. Now its idling revving and pulling without pressing gas. when i come to a stop it sounds like it got the gas pedal pressed at max. ive suspected the carburetor since the beginning. although i am not real familiar with carburetors and the many pieces that makes them work. ive checked the vaccum hoses and everything seems to be good on that end. after inspecting i noticed that the throttle body is wide open and will not close with the engine off, could this be the cause. i really really think the carb needs to be rebuilt/worked on

The TV can't be WOT, you're seeing the choke plate. That's normal. Go to the back passenger side of the carb and look for a white knob. Unscrew it 5 full turns to start. Then borrow a tach or ignition tester (with the gauges) and adjust as needed.

If you're in Marion PA, I might be able to road trip out to meet you and diag.
    Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
    94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

I tried that first thing when it started doing this, it didn't fix the issue, didn't even adjust the rpms but a tiny bit. It's gotta be a carb problem, I've been having fuel problems, I replaced fuel pump, and fuel filter, it only fixed the problem temporarily

Comment

Make sure the secondary is closed fully. With the engine idling, use some carb clean or brake clean and a straw and poke around the base and throttle linkage. There may still be a vac leak.
        Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
        94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

I'm trying to take carb off to have it worked on, how do I remove the red wire electrical connection, it looks like a flathead screw, but nothing I have will turn it, also I can't get the 4 bottom vacuum hoses off, how do I get those off without damaging them

Comment

Working...
          X