Im deep in the Festiva game now...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Im deep in the Festiva game now...

Hello guys and gals, my name is Willie and im 29. Im new yo the world of festivas and this forum. I always wanted one but at the same time i wanted a geo metro. Basically i wanted a small econobox. But metros rust in the A frames and that put me off. So for the past few years ive been wanting one. A couple weeks ago i traded a mini bike for 1988 festiva in blue. Carburated, missing interior panels and rotted floors, brake lines cut for the rear so only the front brakes work (yes it leaks like crazy) missfires, well the lot. But working on it i started to really like it. So.... a few days ago i do the crazyest thing... i drop 2k on a 1992 white festiva sport... 70k miles, all original interior, hatch spoiler, ac (doesn't work at the moment) and 1 small spot of rust. Very small. Been daily driving this thing and im deeeeeeppply hooked now... i want to be more involved in this forum and hopefully can learn many things here. I herd this forum was very helpful and yes I saw the regular car reviews on the festiva and that was inspiring somewhat to come here. Just wanted to say hi and share the new love of my life with u good peoples. ( i am married so dont let my wife see this lol).

Sent from my SM-G900T1 using Tapatalk

Comment

Such a nice 'stiva. Love the wing. killer mileage too. Welcome.

Comment

Im having an issue with the fuel level gauge tho... i swapped the whole fuel pump/sending unit part for a junk yard one because my original one didnt work at all but now this one works when it wants to. Seems like when i turn right the gauge comes to life, but when i turn left the gauge dies. Im thinking of swapping the part out again for another one. Am i right in doing so? Also, i got a cluster with tachometer and tried swapping it but the speedo cable is in the middle and wont go to the side i need it to be. Is there a thread on this here? I looked and didnt find it. Thx for all the help and advice! Im very exited!

Comment

Originally posted by dliverance View Post
          Such a nice 'stiva. Love the wing. killer mileage too. Welcome.
          Thanks man! I HAD to have it. Pics dont do it justice im telling ya!

Comment

Originally posted by reyestuninggarag View Post
            Im having an issue with the fuel level gauge tho... i swapped the whole fuel pump/sending unit part for a junk yard one because my original one didnt work at all but now this one works when it wants to. Seems like when i turn right the gauge comes to life, but when i turn left the gauge dies. Im thinking of swapping the part out again for another one. Am i right in doing so? Also, i got a cluster with tachometer and tried swapping it but the speedo cable is in the middle and wont go to the side i need it to be. Is there a thread on this here? I looked and didnt find it. Thx for all the help and advice! Im very exited!

You can push the speedo cable toward the firewall to seek it behind the column support and to the right.
            Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
            94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Haha RCR got me here too!!

Comment

Originally posted by FestYboy View Post
                You can push the speedo cable toward the firewall to seek it behind the column support and to the right.
                Ah ok. I guess i didn't try as hard because i pushed it back but it stopped and i didnt wanna break it. But tonight ill give it another shot. How about the fuel level issue im having? What do u thinka about that? Thx

Comment

Originally posted by Ford666Festiva View Post
                  Haha RCR got me here too!!
                  RCR? Whats that?

Comment

Ah ok. I guess i didn't try as hard because i pushed it back but it stopped and i didnt wanna break it. But tonight ill give it another shot. How about the fuel level issue im having? What do u thinka about that? Thx
                    It's easier to relocate the speedo cable if you pop the hood and pull it into the engine bay a little. Not strictly necessary tho.
                    90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
                    09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Looks like you found a winner there. Welcome to the forum.. you must come to Madness and show it off.
                      The fuel level sending unit problem is a very common one. There is a very thin wire wrapped around an insulator enclosed in a little
                      box attached to the fuel pump. It has a lever with float attached and a contact inside the box that slides along the wire wrapped insulator.
                      The contact point along the wire wrapped insulator changes as the fuel level changes and this causes the value of the electrical resistance to change. The changing resistance value is what determines the position of the fuel level indicator in the gauge cluster.
                      Over time the wires become worn to the point where the resistance reading is not reliable and eventually the wire become separated near the middle since that is the most frequent point of contact by the sliding float arm contact.
                      At this point what happens is that your gauge will still read full when the tank is full but once the contact point moves past the broken wire, the gauge falls to empty. For years I just lived with this by keeping a log every time I filled up and reset the odometer so I know when it's time to fill up again. I eventually found sending units that still had good wires and now all my fuel gauges do work.
                      I even bought some really thin wire and re-wrapped the insulator in one gauge and got it to work somewhat, but it really wasn't reliable enough to use.

Last edited by 1990new; 08-17-2016, 07:57 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by TominMO View Post
                        It's easier to relocate the speedo cable if you pop the hood and pull it into the engine bay a little. Not strictly necessary tho.
                        Ah good idea thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by 1990new View Post
                          Looks like you found a winner there. Welcome to the forum.. you must come to Madness and show it off.
                          The fuel level sending unit problem is a very common one. There is a very thin wire wrapped around an insulator enclosed in a little
                          box attached to the fuel pump. It has a lever with float attached and a contact inside the box that slides along the wire wrapped insulator.
                          The contact point along the wire wrapped insulator changes as the fuel level changes and this causes the value of the electrical resistance to change. The changing resistance value is what determines the position of the fuel level indicator in the gauge cluster.
                          Over time the wires become worn to the point where the resistance reading is not reliable and eventually the wire become separated near the middle since that is the most frequent point of contact by the sliding float arm contact.
                          At this point what happens is that your gauge will still read full when the tank is full but once the contact point moves past the broken wire, the gauge falls to empty. For years I just lived with this by keeping a log every time I filled up and reset the odometer so I know when it's time to fill up again. I eventually found sending units that still had good wires and now all my fuel gauges do work.
                          I even bought some really thin wire and re-wrapped the insulator in one gauge and got it to work somewhat, but it really wasn't reliable enough to use.
                          Ah ok, thx for the info man! So will i be able to just purchase a new unit from somewhere? Autozone, O'Reilly, rockauto and ebay dont seem to have any. I will take the one i replaced appart to see if i can repair it like u said but finding festivas at the wreckers now seems to be a task. They are less and less when i go it seems.

Comment

Ah ok, thx for the info man! So will i be able to just purchase a new unit from somewhere? Autozone, O'Reilly, rockauto and ebay dont seem to have any. I will take the one i replaced appart to see if i can repair it like u said but finding festivas at the wreckers now seems to be a task. They are less and less when i go it seems.

Only place I know that you can get a new one is FourGreen
                            http://www.fourgreen.com/store/scrip...-p-QKK13860960
                            I checked and with KoreaPost shipping it would come to $56.62 for me. I haven't ordered one from them though. I got mine from Festivas that I found with good ones at the junk yards over the years.
                            Thing is I'm not positive they have them in stock. Sometime they still show things that they no longer have.
                            You could order one or contact them and ask to be sure.

But the picture of this one doesn't look like mine so I don't think it is the correct one.
                            The is another without a picture that is more expensive KK15160960A
                            Maybe someone else here has ordered one and knows the exact part number.

Do a search here on the forum using "4Green" and "FourGreen" and "Four Green" and you will find threads with pictures and part number for all kind of parts that we order from them. The site is difficult to search by descriptions and you must use Hyundai/Kia for the make and Pride for the model when searching.
                            Last edited by 1990new; 08-17-2016, 09:29 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 1990new View Post
                              Only place I know that you can get a new one is FourGreen
                              http://www.fourgreen.com/store/scrip...-p-QKK13860960
                              I checked and with KoreaPost shipping it would come to $56.62 for me. I haven't ordered one from them though. I got mine from Festivas that I found with good ones at the junk yards over the years.
                              Hmmm... i will look into that. I will be at the local P&P yard tomorrow because the where gonna put a festiva in one of the rows i saw it in the back last week. So hopefully its there tomorrow so i can pull that one off as well. Man im really liking all this stuff haha. The challenges haha

Comment

Working...
                              X